Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

One Nation Under God

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236228,00.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236618,00.html
    One Nation Under God: Religion and History in Washington, D.C.

Saturday, Dec. 23 at 9 p.m. ET
    Sunday, Dec. 24 at 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. ET
    Monday, Dec. 25 at 3 p.m. ET
    Hosted by Newt Gingrich

It's the season of Christmas and Hanukkah and once again Americans are fighting over where we can erect a Christmas tree, nativity scene or menorah.

What would America's Founding Fathers think all this?

This weekend, join host Newt Gingrich as FOX News searches for answers in the great monuments and historic buildings of our nation's capital.

We'll uncover a long-forgotten story of religion in America which will surprise anyone who's followed today's church-state debate.

"One Nation Under God" Quiz

Think you have the relationship between Church and State down cold? Try our quiz and see how well you know the history of religion in Washington! Be sure to keep track of your answers. Then, when you're finished, click here for answers!

Be sure to tune in Saturday at 9pm / Midnight ET and Sunday 4pm ET for a FOX News special — One Nation Under God: Religion and History in Washington, D.C.

Question 1: What Founding Father wrote, "Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other?"

A. John Hancock
    B. Samuel Adams
    C. John Adams
    D. Bejamin Franklin

Question 2: Who was the first U.S. president to write a letter to a Jewish congregation?

A. Thomas Jefferson
    B. George Washington
    C. James Madison
    D. Martin Van Buren

Question 3: Where does the original text of the Constitution (not the Bill Of Rights, which was added later) mention religion?

A. Article IV
    B. Article VI
    C. The Constitution does not even mention God
    D. Both A & B are correct

Question 4: What famous observer of America wrote "I do not know whether all Americans have a sincere faith in their religion, for who can read the human heart? But I am certain that they hold it to be indispensable to the maintenance of republican institutions?"

A. Gustave de Beaumont
    B. Louis Napoléon Bonaparte
    C. Sir Thomas More
    D. Alexis de Tocqueville

Question 5: Which president, during a White House dinner, told a clergyman, "I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side?"

A. Thomas Jefferson
    B. James Buchanan
    C. Dwight Eisenhower
    D. Abraham Lincoln

Question 6: When was the phrase "under God" added to the Pledge Of Allegiance?

A. 1892
    B. 1954
    C. 1942
    D. 1492

Question 7: "God Bless America," written by Irving Berlin, has been called the United States' unofficial national anthem. Berlin signed over the royalties the song earns to what two groups?

A. The Knights of Columbus and the Daughters of the American Revolution
    B. The Freemasons and the Church of Scientology
    C. The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America
    D. The Democratic Party and the Republican Party

Question 8: What Church have more presidents belonged to than any other?

A. Episcopal
    B. Lutheran
    C. Presbyterian
    D. Catholic

Question 9: Where in Washington can a Gutenberg Bible be found on permanent display?

A. The Smithsonian
    B. The White House
    C. Library Of Congress
    D. The Supreme Court

Question 10: Who was the first Muslim elected to Congress?

A. Muhammad Malik
    B. Tammy Lee Brown
    C. Keith Ellison
    D. Martin Olav Sabo

Have all your answers written down? Click over to see how well you scored!

Does it really matter anymore? We are no longer a Nation under God, when a governor such as the one in Washington state will allow a Minora on Public property, yet refuse a nativity set,because it might offend someone on Christ's birthday celebration for heavens sake, how can we dare to say we are a Nation under God? Does anybody think we are somehow fooling God with that?Look around, see how far our country has come since we began to allow the few athiest that is, to take prayer out of our shcools,from that to removing any and all things that to pertain to God, and Christ from our public lives. We are becoming a very enlightened society, yes we are,look how we have went from being a strong,healthy nation of one people under God to becoming a very deversified twisted society where no one can hardly tell the difference between good and evil anymore! The ACLU has singlehandly tried to get rid of all the croses all over our land, they cannot stand to look upon them, almost like the vampires we loved to watch as kids and see the good win out over the evil vampires, now the evil vampires are winning aka, the ACLU! Our country is no longer healthy, it is full of sick, twisted, people esp our leaders who seem hell bent on destroying everything our leaders of yesterday strived to maintain in our country. I don't feel any peace this Christmas, nor even much good will toward men. I feel abandoned by my leaders and my Government, like a child who has lost his mother, his protecter, who has pledged her alligence to another child, the illegals. I wonder if this is being allowed to happen to our people because of our willfully turning away from God. Most want to think of God as a totally loving God, a totally benign God who would not in any way punish us for our willfulness as that would not be politically correct now would it? I believe God is a loving God, I also believe he can be a very angry God when his children have misbehaved so badly as we have toward him and all he has done for our country,I believe he can also deliver swift righteous punishment, when it is deserved and I feel it is so deserved now! Have we forgotten, that he allowed his own beloved, chosen people the Jewish people to wander in the desert for 40 yrs until that generation had passed away because of their turning away from him and worshipping false idols, he even punished the one he loved most, Moses, for his own part in not doing as God, asked of him, by not allowing him to enter into the promised land. Do we really think that God would punish us less then his chosen, for the things we are now doing? God does not have to do anything, all he has to do is take his hand off our country, and allow our enemies to come in against us as they did on 911. It has been 5 yrs, and some have forgotten just how bad that was, it is sure to happen again, because I am sorry, most places, I just don'r see Gods hand anymore. I am not preaching, I don't care if anyone believes as I do, we have the freedom right, to believe as we want to, this is just how I feel about what is happening to our coutnry, and the why, I feel it is happening. I really hope that i am wrong in my thinking, and the secular progressives are right, that God is an all loving God, a benign old gentleman, who is totally loving, without any of the old testament, hell fire and brimstone, eye for an eye kind of God, somehow, though, I think God is not the one who changes from that to one who has total acceptance and tolerance for us no matter what we do, and is a loving,non punishing, kind of God, the liberals would have us think he is. I think we are the ones who have done the changing, and have deluded ourselves into thinking we can get away with it!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Don't give up Nitty. I am glad that they are paying attention to this problem. Maybe more people will come forward and do what is right.

The Bible says in the end times these evils will be. Whether others believe it or not doesn't change the fact that the Bible has shown itself once again to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader01
    The Bible says in the end times these evils will be. Whether others believe it or not doesn't change the fact that the Bible has shown itself once again to be correct.
    Of course the bible is correct, but we shouldn't stay silent about the wrongdoings, should we?

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader01
    Of course the bible is correct, but we shouldn't stay silent about the wrongdoings, should we?
    No! Never be silent on the wrongdoings, as that saying goes; "Evil only triumphs when good men (women) do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    Don't give up Nitty. I am glad that they are paying attention to this problem. Maybe more people will come forward and do what is right.
    Not to worry Neese, If I gave the impression I was giving up, I am sorry, it wasn't my intention, I hate to admit it, in my own way, I am every bit as stubborn as our president, however, I do have an open mind, if it can be proved I was wrong, as I was in voting for him twice, I can change my mind to the right way of thinking.

Crusader, you are absolutely right, it doesn't matter whether people choose to believe or not, it is their choice, the bible has always been right, it is the people who try to interpret it to their agenda, that is always proven wrong in the end.

I feel the same way about our constitution, our bill of rights, all the things our founding fathers tried to help keep this nation strong and free, and now is being twisted around to whole different meanings, to further, this administrations and the far left peoples own agenda, and what they think it should really mean to the American people.
    Build the dam fence post haste!