Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

potential Republican presidential candidates in 2008

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53239

Republicans in 2008

Posted: December 6, 2006
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

I got a good chuckle from an NBC story yesterday that looked at potential Republican presidential candidates in 2008.

Here's the punch line that cracked me up: "'There is no George W. Bush in the field,' says one neutral GOP strategist, referring both to Bush's wide appeal in 2000 and his conservative views. That worries some on the right."

George W. Bush had wide appeal in 2000? I thought he lost the popular vote.

George W. Bush had "conservative views"? What were they?

Republicans on the right are worried that there is no George W. Bush in the field? I would think they would be thrilled if that were true.

(Column continues below)

Now, unlike many other pundits, I don't obsess over who is going to run for president. I think we all put way too much emphasis on the White House. I've got news for you: There are no political messiahs on the horizon. No president is going to be able to turn this country around. About the most we can hope for from a president is that he or she will make good decisions concerning national security and not do too much damage to the Constitution here at home.

But I'm stunned that there are Americans out there – and presumably some politically active ones – who still believe the myths created around George W. Bush. After two terms of George W. Bush, will there still be Republicans believing he embodies the spirit of Ronald Reagan? Or will everyone recognize he is closer in style and substance to Richard Nixon?

Personally, I would consider it a blessing if, as the secret NBC source suggested: "There is no George W. Bush in the field." The problem is that the field is littered with George W. Bushes in 2008.

Here are some of their names:

* Hillary Clinton

* Rudy Giuliani

* John McCain

* Evan Bayh

* Barack Obama

* John Kerry

* John Edwards

* Bill Richardson

* Mitt Romney

This is going to come as a shock to some of you, but none of these people will fundamentally alter the direction of the country as president. And that's what we need – someone to stop the irresponsible and unconstitutional spending, someone to defend out borders, someone who is not afraid to defeat our enemies.

With regard to major-party presidential candidates, only two possibilities offer hope by this standard – and both are extreme long shots. They are Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., and Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo.

Besides those two, there's not a dime's worth of difference between the rest of the pack – Republican and Democrat alike.

For the life of me, I will never understand why Democrats hate George W. Bush so much. Likewise, I could never understand why they hated Richard Nixon so much. Both of these Republicans governed, for the most part, just like Democrats. If George W. Bush hasn't made Democrats happy as president, then it should be a lesson to future Republican presidents that there is no hope of ever accommodating the other party through policy positions.

Bush adopted Democrat policies, and they hate him all the more for it.

Whenever I write about presidential politics, I'm certain to get lots of e-mail from those who wonder why I am not joining forces with a third party, or spending my time and energy building one. Here's the answer in advance: This is not the answer!

The answer is rebuilding our culture, not building new political institutions. The reason neither the Democrats nor the Republicans offer us much hope is because we have lost the culture. Politicians don't lead; they follow. If you want responsive, accountable government, you've got to have a responsible, self-governing citizenry. You've got to take back the culture! There is no alternative – except defeat and the end of our great republic.

Each of us has a finite amount of time, financial resources and energy to expend. The problems besetting this nation cannot be solved by government and politics alone. They certainly cannot be solved in Washington.

It's time for each of us to do what we can in our own lives to make this country a better place. You'd be surprised at the tools we have at our disposal – prayer, educating the next generation at home or at select private schools, choosing wisely where we spend our money, making our own communities and families stronger, guarding our families from the ravages of a sick and twisted culture, getting informed and informing others.

By the way, as I like to say, this is not a "conservative" agenda. It's a radical choice. And it's time for radical prescriptions.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GOOD POST..

WE HAD A BUSH, CLINTON, BUSH AND GOD FORBIDE SHOULD WE HAVE ANOTHER CLINTON TO CONTINUE THIS SHADOW
    GOVERNMENT
    I'm not willing to let Mexico have a party? tell me? I have no choice in who can come, who can't and then send me the bill