Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Richardson For Presidente

Richardson has chance to invigorate Hispanic voters
    By Ramon Bracamontes / El Paso Times
    Article Launched: 02/05/2007 12:00:00 AM MST

Gov. Bill Richardson, now a presidential candidate, right, comments in this file photo about the spaceport in District Court before he signs it into legislation as Mayor William "Bill" Mattiace listen. After announcing that he had formed a presidential exploratory committee, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson quickly made two national media debuts -- one on TV, one on radio.
    On "Meet the Press," he reached out to the traditional U.S. voter who historically watches the Sunday-morning political show on TV.

Then two days later, he appeared on "Piolin por la mañana," a Spanish-language radio show hosted by Eddie "Piolin" Sotelo that is broadcast nationwide and is the No. 1-rated radio show in Los Angeles. The entire 30-minute interview was in Spanish, a first for any presidential candidate.

"There's no doubt that his participation in the primary process is a historic occurrence," said Adam J. Segal, director of the Hispanic Voter Project at John Hopkins University. "He is the first high-profile Hispanic to run for president. I do think there is an opportunity for him to excite and mobilize voters like no one has in the past."

Richardson, a former Cabinet member in President Clinton's administration, announced Jan. 20 that he had formed a presidential exploratory committee. Last week in El Paso, he said he is in the race for the long haul and would seek the 2008 Democratic nomination for president.

"I am after the Hispanic vote," said Richardson, who had a fundraiser Jan. 29 in El Paso. "But I am also after the Anglo vote, the Native American vote and every other vote that is out there. I'm not running as a Hispanic. I am running as an American governor who is proud to be Hispanic."

Richardson is one of nine Democrats who have formed a presidential exploratory committee, with at least two others, including former Vice President Al Gore, being mentioned as future candidates. Among the announced candidates, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, the wife of former President Clinton, and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama have been mentioned as frontrunners.

But that was before Richardson jumped into the race, some experts said.

"He has the ability to penetrate the Hispanic media like no other candidate, but I also think he has a high-level of legitimacy," Segal said.

According to exit polls during the 2004 presidential election, Hispanics accounted for 8 percent of the overall vote, an increase from 6 percent in 2000. It is estimated that more than 9 million Hispanics voted.

However, that number is small compared with the overall Hispanic population. According to U.S. Census figures, Hispanics now make up 15 percent of the overall U.S. population and the figure is growing. But more importantly, Hispanics showed political clout in 2006 when millions of them protested in unity against immigration laws being pushed by a Republican-dominated Congress.

Those protests, and the continuing war in Iraq, are frequently mentioned as the two main reasons why Congress is now controlled by Democrats. And analysts are saying that Hispanic voting power is growing.

"It is historic that I am Hispanic and running," Richardson said. "And I will use my Spanish to reach out to voters."

Richardson, who was born in California, was re-elected last year in New Mexico by 69 percent of the vote. He is a former congressman, former ambassador to the United Nations and was the Secretary of Energy during the Clinton Administration.

Bruce Buchanan, a political science professor at the University of Texas at Austin who specializes in presidential politics, said that being a minority is no longer a major barrier in this country.

"I don't think that his minority status will be the deciding factor in his race," Buchanan said. "He is no one's affirmative action candidate. He is a talented guy."

Richardson's ability to get the Democratic presidential nomination hinges on whether he can raise enough money to keep up with Hillary Clinton and Obama, both of whom are expected to raise $100 million each.

"What will hurt Hillary is the Clinton baggage that comes from her husband," Buchanan said. "She's got some Demos working against her and the Republicans will work against her. For Obama, he needs more name recognition."

In El Paso, longtime Democrat Rose Maya said she has not decided whom she will support.

"There are too many candidates right now," she said. "Richardson does have some experience, and Clinton may not have the experience, but she has the knowledge."

El Pasoan Michael Apodaca, a State Democratic Executive Committee member, said he is leaning toward Richardson.

"He has the experience that none of the other candidates, including Hillary, have," Apodaca said. "He has White House experience and international experience."

Ramon Bracamontes may be reached at rbracamontes@elpasotimes.com; 546-6142.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

and my dog for congress
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Your dog has a much better shot! In fact, he could run for president and possibly secure the Dem nomination. After all, he can yo-yo. That totally trumps Obama as the first African-American, Hillary as the first female (although I thought she already served two terms during the 90's), and Richardson as the first Hispanic.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Charles, your puppy is so cute...

That will be the problem with all upcoming elections...all of our politicans will be pandering to the Latino population. If they were all here legally, it would not bother me.

Richardson is a joke!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Quote Originally Posted by TyRANTosaur
    Your dog has a much better shot! In fact, he could run for president and possibly secure the Dem nomination. After all, he can yo-yo. That totally trumps Obama as the first African-American, Hillary as the first female (although I thought she already served two terms during the 90's), and Richardson as the first Hispanic.
    Uhyep my dog can multi task, he can yoyo and lick his self at the same time and not raise taxes or let in more illegals while doing it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote="Charlesoakisland
    Uhyep my dog can multi task, he can yoyo and lick his self at the same time and not raise taxes or let in more illegals while doing it.[/quote]

LOL
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

"And I will use my Spanish to reach out to voters."
    Because they are the only group who will vote for you Bill!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    Not so. He'll also get the Chinese mole vote.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    Not so. He'll also get the Chinese mole vote.
    As always CG, you are right! I knew I missed one..
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.