Snoop Dogg boycotts ‘Roots’ remake: ‘I’m sick of this’

Rapper Snoop Dogg called for a boycott of the History Channel’s “Roots” remake in an expletive-filled rant on social media. (Instagram/@snoopdogg)more >

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Rapper Snoop Dogg called for a boycott of the History Channel’s “Roots” remake in an expletive-filled rant on social media.

In a video
posted on his Instagram and Twitter, Snoop Dogg said he was tired of being constantly reminded of black suffering.

“I’m sick of this [expletive]. How the [expletive] they gonna put ‘Roots’ on Memorial Day?” he asked in the selfie video. “They just going to keep beating that [expletive] into our heads as to how they did us, huh?”

The “Roots” remake, which premiered Monday as a four-night series, is based on ABC’s landmark 1977 miniseries adaptation of Alex Haley’s 1976 novel.

Snoop Dogg railed against the film’s portrayal of slavery and asked why so few new projects focused on the successes of black Americans.

“I don’t understand America. They just want to keep showing the abuse that we took hundreds and hundreds of years ago. But guess what? We’re taking the same abuse,” he said. “Think about that part.

When you all going to make a [expletive] series about the success that black folks is having. The only success we have is ‘Roots’ and ‘12 Years A Slave?’”

Snoop Dogg
said he wouldn’t watch “Roots” and called on other black Americans to follow his lead.

“Let’s create our own [expletive] based on today. How we live and how we inspire people today. Black is what’s real,” he said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-sick-of-this/