Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

State Dept.: Burning Koran same as killing thousands 9/11

State Dept.: Burning Koran same as killing thousands on 9/11

Wednesday, September 8, 2010
    By Kerry Picket, Washington Times

Video at the link:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/wat ... usands-91/

At Tuesday's daily press briefing at the State Department, Department Assistant Secretary P.J. Crowley discussed the attacks of 9/11 and compared terrorists who attacked the United States to a Gainesville Pastor who plans to burn Korans this September 11th. Mr. Crowley had a tough time answering questions from reporters curious about his views on freedom of speech and religious tolerance (H/T Kristinn at FR). Video link is here.

QUOTE:

PJ CROWLEY:"We hope that between now and Saturday, there’ll be a range of voices across America that make clear to this community that this is not the way for us to commemorate 9/11. In fact, it is consistent with the radicals and bigot – with those bigots who attacked us on 9/11."

FULLER TRANSCRIPT BELOW: Starts at 16:00 on the video above

QUESTION: Thank you, sir. P.J., as we approach 9/11 and also the Eid, and now we have a special session this evening here with the Secretary and also Special Representative for Muslims Ms. Pandith and you have heard the warnings from General Petraeus in Afghanistan, where – how do you characterize the relations between the United States and the Muslims around the globe and especially here in (inaudible) America and – because you see a lot of things are happening because – burning of the Qu’ran – Qu’ran and all those things are going to create so much problems, sir?

MR. CROWLEY: Well, first of all, people need to understand that in this country, we have freedom of religion, we have a tradition of religious tolerance, we also have freedom of expression. We believe that these are fundamental principles of U.S. society. We’re very conscious of what has been discussed as potential actions down in Florida at the end of this week. We think that these are provocative acts, they are disrespectful, they’re intolerant, they’re divisive, and we’re conscious that a number of voices have come out and rejected what this pastor and this community have proposed.

And we would like to see more Americans stand up and say that this is inconsistent with our American values. In fact, these actions themselves are un-American. The pastor says that he’s contemplating these actions to combat radicalism. In fact, these actions, if they take place – we hope they don’t – will actually feed radicalism. As General Petraeus mentioned over the weekend, given social media, they can have at least as powerful an impact as the tragic events and photos of Abu Ghraib had.

But at the same time, people around the world need to also understand that America is not represented by one pastor or 50 followers. We are a nation of 300 million people. And the vast majority of Americans are standing up this week and saying that these contemplative actions are inappropriate, they’re abhorrent, and this should not happen.

QUESTION: And --

QUESTION: Do you reject it? You said a great many people are rejecting it. Do you reject this? Do you just flatly feel that this particular group in Florida should not do this?

MR. CROWLEY: They should not do this. And as General Petraeus said, they potentially put soldiers at risk. For any American who is traveling, any diplomat in posts around the world, these put – these actions, whatever their motivation, potentially put American interest and American lives at risk.

QUESTION: And why is it un-American, which is a word that doesn’t get lobbed around very often in this briefing room? And you point out that there are two principles here; one is sort of freedom of religion and tolerance and another one is freedom of expression, which means that you can burn American flags and so on and not be called un-American. I mean, why is it un-American for them to do this?

MR. CROWLEY: Well, there – it is one thing to have a right. It’s another thing as to how one exercises that right. This is a divisive potential act of disrespect of one of the world’s great religions. And while we support – and those of us are who are constitutionally charged to defend our freedoms, including freedom of expression, this is an action that has potential serious ramifications. It is a statement of intolerance that we believe is contrary to our – how we – how – our values and how we conduct ourselves day in and day out here in the United States of America.

QUESTION: P.J., Arshad is right. I mean, what – honestly, what could be more American than expressing one’s freedom of speech, freedom to --

MR. CROWLEY: There – we --

QUESTION: -- assemble and freedom to do --

MR. CROWLEY: Absolutely right.

QUESTION: I mean, why is it that --

MR. CROWLEY: But there --

QUESTION: You wouldn’t say burning the American flag is un-American, would you?

MR. CROWLEY: Well, it is inconsistent with the values of religious tolerance and religious freedom that are innate to us as Americans. You’ve got a clash of two principles here. There are – in our view, there are far better ways to commemorate 9/11 and the religious bigotry that that event represents than to commit yet another act of what I would consider to be religious radicalism.

QUESTION: Okay. But I guess --

MR. CROWLEY: Go ahead, go ahead.

QUESTION: -- I guess the point – again, I’m having a hard time --

MR. CROWLEY: Right.

QUESTION: Excuse me. I’m having a hard time understanding, first of all, why the State Department is getting involved in an issue that relates directly to a Florida church.

MR. CROWLEY: Well, first of all, I was asked.

QUESTION: Well, okay. Fair enough. But you made the – but then you made the observation that what they planned to do is un-American. And I --

MR. CROWLEY: I think – there’s – there are a balance --

QUESTION: Are you prepared to say the same thing if someone wants to

MR. CROWLEY: Look, there are a balance of interests here. But this, in our view, has the potential to inflame public opinion around the world in a way that will jeopardize American lives and American interests. It does not represent our core values as Americans. We hope it does not happen. We hope that between now and Saturday, there’ll be a range of voices across America that make clear to this community that this is not the way for us to commemorate 9/11. In fact, it is consistent with the radicals and bigot – with those bigots who attacked us on 9/11.

QUESTION: Right. But in fact, it is – but wait --

MR. CROWLEY: Hold on – Matt. Matt, others want to ask questions, too.

QUESTION: You’re saying that this may be incitement, but it is still a First Amendment issue. What really – what recourse does the government have to, say, go to the city of Gainesville and say maybe you should not issue a bonfire or whatever it is permit and all these things?

MR. CROWLEY: Well, I mean, all we really have here is a bully pulpit. The community is going to do what they do. I mean, the city government has declined to provide a permit for this event. The pastor appears to be unswayed by comments by General Petraeus and others who have expressed concern about the action that is being contemplated. We want to see – we support a vigorous debate in this country, even about issues that have great sensitivity. That said, there is a point where the debate yields to something more significant.

We are hopeful, between now and Saturday, that a range of voices, whether they’re political figures, religious figures, others, can rise and convince this community that there are better ways of commemorating 9/11 than through this action.

QUESTION: But, P.J., one more thing. The Secretary is going to speak out this evening. And second, freedom of expression or freedom of religion doesn’t mean that you put the whole country on fire.

MR. CROWLEY: Well, and, Goyal, there is another side to this. That’s true. But if this community goes ahead and – with this proposed event on Saturday, we would hope that the rest of the world will judge us not by the actions of one pastor or 50 followers, but judge us by a tradition that goes back to our founding. We did not indict entire countries or an entire religion over the actions of 9/11, and we would hope that the rest of the world does not indict the United States for the actions of one fringe element in Florida.

QUESTION: P.J., can I ask just one on this? Are you absolutely certain that you want to stick with the word “un-Americanâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

State Dept.: Burning Koran same as killing thousands on 9/11

PJ CROWLEY:"We hope that between now and Saturday, there’ll be a range of voices across America that make clear to this community that this is not the way for us to commemorate 9/11. In fact, it is consistent with the radicals and bigot – with those bigots who attacked us on 9/11."

The State Dept and all the other fools that are falling over each other to make these kind of statements are disgusting....they are traitors to the American people....I hope there is a range of voices across America too!!!!!!

Do you think they will be there watching the stoning to death of this women as well....

Kathyet

Let's not mince words here. Our government, as it were, is acting in a cowardly and unconstitutional way, to protect not the rights of Americans but the feelings of a religion that is, for the most part, in total contradiction with American values. Our leaders are abandoning Americans and American principles for the sake of political correctness!

HAVE WE HAD ENOUGH YET OR ARE WE GOING TO CONTINUE TO SIT IDLY BY WHILE OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY AND WAY OF LIFE ARE BEING DISMANTELD?!
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Let's not mince words here. Our government, as it were, is acting in a cowardly and unconstitutional way, to protect not the rights of Americans but the feelings of a religion that is, for the most part, in total contradiction with American values. Our leaders are abandoning Americans and American principles for the sake of political correctness!

Well I was trying to be as polite as I could be but your right..it is... "treasonous government officials", and they don't warrant any capitalization because all they do is capitulate to foreigners at the expense of the American People...... ...

Kathyet