Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Suspect held in hate crime slaying of girl, 14

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... california

Suspect held in hate crime slaying of girl, 14
    By Jill Leovy
    Times Staff Writer

December 23, 2006

Los Angeles police detectives have arrested a Latino suspect in the killing of a 14-year-old African American girl in what police say was a hate crime.

The girl, Cheryl Greene, was among four people struck in a shooting the afternoon of Dec. 15 in the 20600 block of South Harvard Boulevard. Two young Latino men approached the group, and one pulled a gun and fired several times before the pair fled. Two women and a man were wounded in the attack.

Los Angeles police have said graffiti in the area bearing the letters "NK" suggested that a local Latino gang with a reputation for racism had targeted blacks. Because of this, police have classified the case as a hate crime, although the circumstances are under investigation, said LAPD spokesman Lt. Paul Vernon.

Community activists plan a march in Cheryl Greene's memory next Saturday, said Najee Ali of Project Islamic Hope. The shooting angered some in the neighborhood, he added, and marchers plan to call for peace and an end to violence.

The killing does not represent a trend, Vernon said. "There is nothing to support that there's a wave of these," he said. "This is one case."

Citywide, hate crimes were down 10% in 2005, and are expected to have dropped by 8% this year, according to preliminary figures, he said.

Police didn't release information about the suspect, who was arrested Thursday.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I read this article earlier on the web, I tried to search to see if anywhere it said if the perpetrator was an illegal but have found nothing. Why can't the media and law enforcement state whether they are illegals or not? We Americans have the right to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader01
    I read this article earlier on the web, I tried to search to see if anywhere it said if the perpetrator was an illegal but have found nothing. Why can't the media and law enforcement state whether they are illegals or not? We Americans have the right to know.
    Good point Crusader01. Moved this post to 'other topics.'
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jean; I did not mean you should have to move it. I am just tired of searching the News Services on the web for articles concerning Illegals only to have them more times than not leave out if they are illegals. I am starting to believe they are doing this on purpose so many just think they are Americans and not Illegals. It will be interesting to see if they ever state whether this person in the article is illegal or not in future reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader01
    Jean; I did not mean you should have to move it. I am just tired of searching the News Services on the web for articles concerning Illegals only to have them more times than not leave out if they are illegals. I am starting to believe they are doing this on purpose so many just think they are Americans and not Illegals. It will be interesting to see if they ever state whether this person in the article is illegal or not in future reports.
    Since they did not say whether illegals were involved I felt it best to change where I had it posted.
    Yes, it is frustrating how often news articles do not provide many details. The most frustrating ones are where they are still looking for the suspect and don't give adaquate descriptions. Like, how is the public suppose to help? Guess we're not suppose to.