Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving / Christmas Holiday Specials & Movies

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation 1789... Have we changed course?

Posted by Darla Dawald, National Director on November 18, 2012 at 5:27pm in General, Town Hall

Proclamation - Thanksgiving Day - 1789
    George Washington - 10/03/1789
    This is the text of George Washington's October 3, 1789 national Thanksgiving Proclamation; as printed in The Providence Gazette and Country Journal, on
    October 17, 1789.

By the President of the United States of America.
    A Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-nine.
    G. Washington.

George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation 1789... Have we changed course? - Patriot Action Network
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I Love Christmas

He was made of snow but the children
    Know how he came to life one day.
    - Frosty the Snowman

Image is of this lovely Thomas Kinkade Crystal Snowman: Amazon.com: Thomas Kinkade Crystal Snowman Figurine Featuring Light-Up Village And Animated Train by The Bradford Editions: Home & Kitchen

Max Baer Jr.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Give thanks to the little things in life that make you happy.

Hope your vittles are Hot Diggity Dog good!

Love, Jethro

The Best Sledding Crashes and Bloopers there are

The Best Sledding Crashes and Bloopers there are - YouTube

Uploaded by Alex Wood on Feb 26, 2009

sledding wipeouts, ski accidents, collisions and more!!!

Category: Sports

License: Standard YouTube License

Frisco Christmas Lights - Wizards in Winter

Frisco Christmas Lights - Wizards in Winter - YouTube

Uploaded by trykoski on Aug 18, 2006

The song is Wizards in Winter by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Video is from our 2005 Christmas display (note video upload date). We still do a display in our yard each year.

http://www.friscochristmas.com - my home Christmas light display in Frisco, TX (This is my 2005 video). I am not the guy in Ohio (I did not copy his display - we both just happened to use the same song in '05). I have been building large scale light displays since 2001 and now do very large scale displays for commercial and municipal clients in addition to our house.

Category: Entertainment

Christmas Lights Gone Wild

Christmas Lights Gone Wild - YouTube

Uploaded by John Boyd on Nov 21, 2005

Wow, this thing has really gone crazy with the viewers. Let me first start by saying that this is not my house. Regardless of what any of the comments read, this house really does exist, I have seen it with my own eyes and nothing you see in the video is trickery, it's all real.

This display was the work of Carson Williams, a Mason, Ohio, electrical engineer who spent about three hours sequencing the 88 Light-O-Rama channels that controlled the 16,000 Christmas lights in his annual holiday lighting spectacular (from Christmas 2004). His 2005 display includes over 25,000 lights that he spent nearly two months and $10,000 to hook up. So that the Williams' neighbors aren't disturbed by constant noise, viewers driving by the house are informed by signs to tune in to a signal broadcast over a low-power FM radio station to hear the musical accompaniment.

The rough quality of the video has led some viewers to believe it was put together in stop-action form from still photographs, but that is an artifact of the high compression used in the clip circulated via e-mail. Mr. Williams has posted instructions for recreating his "Wizard in Winter" sequencing, and another of his choreographed Christmas light music shows can be viewed here.

Carson's Christmas display proved so popular that it was featured in a Miller Lite beer commercial in December 2005.

Category: Comedy

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast