Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Toddler killed in hit and run

Toddler killed in hit-and-run

August 19, 2006

BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter

A toddler running out to say goodbye to a relative was accidentally struck and killed by the man's departing pickup truck Friday, neighbors said.

The 1-year-old boy, William Lopez, was taken to University of Chicago Hospitals. He was pronounced dead there at 12:35 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

Police said they were still seeking the unidentified relative late Friday. They labeled the case a hit-and-run, saying the driver fled on foot, leaving his pickup behind. Neighbors, however, said the driver may not have known he hit the boy, and that it was an accident.

It happened just before noon in the 8900 block of South Muskegon in the South Chicago neighborhood. The relative was pulling away from the curb when the boy was hit, police said.

Late Friday, a memorial to the boy stood outside his family's two-story home. The memorial, shielded from the rain by a cabinet, contained teddy bears, other stuffed animals and religious candles.

ldonovan@suntimes.com

An accident? Please.....he was leaving in his truck and then just suddenly decided to run instead and didn't notice he hit a kid?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Police said they were still seeking the unidentified relative late Friday.
    Like they can't run the plates/vin number on the truck. Maybe that's why he's unidentified. Tell me that isn't suspicious.

They labeled the case a hit-and-run, saying the driver fled on foot, leaving his pickup behind. Neighbors, however, said the driver may not have known he hit the boy, and that it was an accident.
    Probably was an accident ... still there's no way he didn't know what he'd done if he bailed ... especially on foot.
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.