Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tom Delay is spending Tuesdays primary night with Lobbyists

He doesn't get it does he? He just got caught taking money from a corrupt lobbyist in Jack Abramoff and despite the fact that people are pissed off, he's at it again. This guy is just another prime example of how out of touch these politicans are with the voters. I hope this Bush hack, cafta lover loses big time.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187051,00.html

DeLay Faces Three Challengers in GOP Texas Primary
    Tuesday, March 07, 2006

WASHINGTON — Rep. Tom DeLay, whose association with lobbyist Jack Abramoff has left him politically vulnerable, is spending Texas' primary night Tuesday at a fundraiser hosted by two Washington lobbyists.

DeLay faces three opponents in the Republican primary. For the first time in the 22 years he's held office, he is up against a serious challenge after being forced out of his job as House majority leader amid corruption and campaign finance scandals.

The fundraiser is being held by lobbyists Bill Paxon and Susan Molinari, both former members of Congress from New York. The event will raise money for DeLay's re-election campaign.

DeLay spokeswoman Shannon Flaherty said DeLay would be in Washington for votes and has other events on his schedule including the fundraiser. She said he was unavailable for an interview.

Paxon said if DeLay were to go to Texas for the primary, he would be criticized for leaving Washington while Congress was in session. The House is scheduled Tuesday evening to give final approval to the Patriot Act.

Paxon, now a lobbyist with Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, and his wife, Molinari, are friends of DeLay. Molinari is chairwoman and CEO of The Washington Group, a Ketchum company.

Other hosts are former Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson, an Akin Gump partner, three other lobbyists with Akin Gump and the Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Civic Action Committee, a political action committee.

DeLay's toughest primary challenger, attorney Tom Campbell, criticized the congressman's election night plans.

"I think it's amazingly ironic and callous he would be spending election night with a group of lobbyists," Campbell said. "I don't think he understands how unhappy constituents are with what appears to be a trade of principle for power."

Entry to the fundraiser costs $1,000, $2,500 and $5,000 for political action committees and $500, $1,000 and $2,100 for individuals, according to an event invitation.

DeLay has been the muscle behind the K Street Project in Washington, in which lobbying firms were pressured to hire Republicans and contribute to Republicans. He was rebuked by the House ethics committee in 1998 for lashing out at one industry group for hiring a Democrat.

The ethics panel also rebuked DeLay in 2004 for mingling at a golf outing with executives from a Kansas utility that was trying at the time to get a favorable provision added to an energy bill. The committee said then that DeLay created an appearance of favoritism by meeting with the executives just days after they contributed to a Texas fundraising committee he started.

DeLay is awaiting trial in Texas on money laundering charges stemming from an investigation of corporate contributions to that committee.

Questions also have been raised about DeLay's relationship with Abramoff, who pleaded guilty in January in a federal political corruption investigation. DeLay traveled with Abramoff and other lobbyists to Scotland in 2000. He also used the lobbyist's skybox for a donor appreciation event and has accepted contributions from Abramoff and his clients.

DeLay has repeatedly denied wrongdoing and has labeled the Texas investigation a political witch hunt.

DeLay has been behind in the fundraising race against the Democrat he would oppose if he wins Tuesday.

In reports filed with the Federal Election Commission late last month, DeLay had raised about $153,000 between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15, compared with $248,000 for Nick Lampson, a former congressman. DeLay had about $1.3 million cash on hand as of Feb. 15, while Lampson had $1.4 million. Since then, he has raised another $172,000 for his campaign.

Republican Campbell has reported raising about $79,000 between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15, with $17,200 cash on hand. Since then he has reported raising $8,900.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Once a crook, always a crook. I cant believe this thug actually has any government position. Any friend of Bush's, is an enemy of the people.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Of course the a-hole won by 64 percent of the vote. Why can't the people in this pathetic country of ours muster up the will to vote these traitors out of office? I'm sick of this crap. It's blatantly obvious even to the biggest moron that this guy is a crook and yet he still holds office. Until these pathetic, lazy sheep grow a g-d damn backbone and get to the polls to put these traitors on the unemployment line then this is going to continue. When are you Americans going to get it? Until you put some traitors on the unemployment line when it comes time to vote then nothing will ever change no matter how much you complain and if you are the one that keeps voting for the same traitor no matter what then you have no right to complain. Seriously have we become a nation of stupidity or what?

All I keep hearing is I hate so and so and when election day comes, I'm going to vote so and so out. Yet time and time again the exact opposite happens. I guess this country likes to bend over alot. We really don't deserve to have a country.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn