Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Truckers ‘going broke’ and threatening to strike

Truckers ‘going broke’ and threatening to strike

By Barb Ickes | Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What started as a small, online grassroots effort now appears to have the potential for something bigger.

Dan Little, the owner/operator of a livestock hauling company in Carrollton, Mo., estimated Tuesday that at least 1,000 other truckers from across the United States have committed so far to joining him in a strike on April 1.

Although none of the truckers interviewed Tuesday at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop, Walcott, which is just off Interstate 80 west of Davenport, has heard of the intended strike, some said they would shut down, too.

Weldon Kinnison, a Virginia trucker who was hauling soft drink from Indiana to Denver, heard about the plans for a strike for the first time Tuesday while stopping at Walcott.

“I’m an owner/operator with the American Truckers Association,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    121 comment(s)

The following are comments from the readers. In no way do they represent the views of the Quad-City Times or Lee Enterprises.

TTT

I have wondered when this was coming. Last we heard from unhappy truckers the price was $2/gal. I have sympathy for the truckers who drive the speed limit, and those who don't let it idle overnight. All the others could reduce their fuel usage by slowing down and shutting it off. And no, you don't have to let it idle to keep you warm overnight, get a cheap hotel room. It's your choice to buy the fuel for overnight idling.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 5:27 PM

Report Abuse

dagwood

Great column Barb; maybe those truckers need to change the name of their company to "Bear Stearns" .

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 6:07 PM

Report Abuse

demorats

I agree with the truckers. But its the wasteful automobile drivers that should be doing the boycotting. Look at all the gas hog suvs and pickups anymore. No wonder the price is so high with high consumption.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 6:23 PM

Report Abuse

tired

If I choose to drive a pick up and pay the gas prices then it's my choice. I am not asking you for any money to help fill my tank, so get off it already.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 6:57 PM

Report Abuse

chad71

so im suppose to trade in the truck i have now that i use and works quite well to haul what i need to haul gets me around in the winter wonderfully for a different one that may or may not do the job as well. I think ill stay with what i got it may not get the best mpg but i didnt buy it for mpg i bought cause i need a truck to haul granted it doesnt get 35 mpg but than again i dont like small compact cars. Dont get me started on hybrids i think they are the biggest joke.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 7:03 PM

Report Abuse

Bindlestiff

Some may remember the independent truckers' strike in 1979, also spurred by fuel prices. It got pretty ugly.

Since then - 29 years! - it appears that we haven't learned a damned thing.

Deja vu all over again...

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 7:09 PM

Report Abuse

Polite

The strike is a wonderful idea, and, hopefully a good way to get attention focused on this issue.

The truckers should strike

and the 2008 Olympics should be boycotted (by not buying from the main advertisers and the Games)

in order to protest against the brutal oppression on the Chinese and Tibetan people by the Communist regime.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 8:39 PM

Report Abuse

olenumber7

The fuel is only part of it. The DOT have been hasseling trucks all over Eastern Iowa lately. Not just friendly safety checks but they flat out treat you like a criminal when they pull you over. I had nothing wrong, not even 1 violation but you better believe they looked over that truck like I was a criminal. These young cowboys are very rude. I thought in America it is innocent until proven guilty. It has been awhile since I have been pulled over by a police officer but they are usually respectful. I think the young DOT cowboys think it is their job to be absolute jerks. I hope some public official reads this and starts asking questions. Yep, lets take it to the commercial truckers. Well over $100 a month for license plates, random drug tests, and insurance and paper work that is pocket book draining. If your turn signal does not work, fine em. You name it they will sock it to us. Then a motorhome drives by on bald tires and worn brakes but no problem, he has no CDL!

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 8:39 PM

Report Abuse

kjt_41

To TTT you must not know diesel trucks very well. You know how long it takes to get warmed up (meaning the engine) to be able to move. You can't just hop in a diesel turn it on and go.The truckers have a point these prices are ridiculous.Drivers of cars should strike too.The United States has so much oil stashed to last awhile I say they need to do something.To demorats you can complain about the suvs and the trucks but i can't trading in my suv that i feel safe in to a hybrid compact car that is gonna crush me in a 20 mph accident. You can complain about them all you want but I don't want to hear about how you have to buy a dozen eggs at $5 or a gallon of milk for $10 because that is where we are headed. If these truckers stop and don't deliver it will finally show that the economy needs them cause we do more then everyone wants to realize. They need to get the fortune 500 groups in with them when they strike.I was young when the 79 strike to place but I remember the stories not good

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 8:43 PM

Report Abuse

scrubtech2005

I love it that you all complain about truckers, IF YOU BOUGHT IT..... THEY BROUGHT IT.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 8:44 PM

Report Abuse

scrubtech2005

I just wish everyone would get enough balls to go out there and not drive for one week and stay home. It would help everyone in this country!!!! Why do we let big business do this to us??? I know that business's need to make $$$$ but corp. greed needs to end. people need to get a clue.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 8:49 PM

Report Abuse

Bindlestiff

Barb - this is an option for your week out and about...hook up with an OTR trucker and see what it's all about.

Hey, the posters whining about piuckup trucks need to read the article. This is about freight haulers.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 8:58 PM

Report Abuse

redleg64

seems to me trucking prices are being passed to consumers....Been to the grocery store lately? When are people going to realize we have all sorts of oil in our own country...all we have to do is drill for it. Oil shale in colorado. How about nuke plants....lets build a few more. We can solve our energy problems it we have the will to do so. rl

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 9:13 PM

Report Abuse

fallon89

I wonder how many of those truckers are buying biodiesel which, I see by signs at truck stops, is about 20 cents or so cheaper per gallon than regular diesel?

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 10:11 PM

Report Abuse

pastorlisac

I am with TVC Pro-Driver and I speak to truck drivers every day. I also see the price of their fuel going up every day as I sit at the Walcott Truck Stop. These guys and gals are hurting and they are targets for the DOT and Police.

I don't know how they do it all and stay sane, much less keep their heads above water. Some aren't.

These are good people doing good, honest work and working much harder than a lot of others getting subsidized.

You go guys and gals and do what you must. I will still be at the I 80 truckstop to chat and do what I can do to help you out.

Stay safe out there, all of you.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 10:20 PM

Report Abuse

reuther

I don't know about diesel but gas was $1.39 when Bush took office, and I don't know about independent non-union drivers but the Teamsters endorsed Bush. Perhaps the independent driver will go the way of the small farmer, gobbled up by bigger entities.

A good article.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 10:22 PM

Report Abuse

reuther

We should have considered action like this when Reagan fired the air traffic controllers. Labor in all its forms including truck drivers would be in a better position today. '79 was the year of the Big Strike at International Harvester. Ill-timed but supported by workers, the strike's outcome was good for neither the worker nor the company. We need to stand together against oppression, country-wide, but when so many of us are one paycheck away from financial failure, it's hard to get people to throw in. Right here, with our backs to the wall is where 'they' like us to be.

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 10:34 PM

Report Abuse

concerned2

Big Rigs = Little Nancy's

Only a matter of time - Heck, Do a stupid home mortgage, the Gov will bail you out - Spent more that you make, the Gov will bail you out - Don't want to work, the Gov will pay you - Your not making at least 100K , lets go on strike - The Gov will eventually pay

Now the truckers want their little welfare card/hand out

How about this - if you don't like the money you are earning do something else to make more money - DUH!!!!!

You know, I don't make enough at my job - at least not enough to have what everyone one else has - doesn't matter that they were smarter and worked harder - the Gov owes me - I deserve to have everything anybody else has

Where the heck is my Gov money ????? - Think I will go on strike

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 10:39 PM

Report Abuse

concerned2

What day is the strike?

If successfull, would be a great day to get the rig out - less traffic

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 10:43 PM

Report Abuse

dlittle

Hello, My name is Dan Little & yes I'm the guy Ms. Barb talked about in the story, First let me say thank you to all that support the entire Trucking Ind & the issues they are face'n today.

Now on to my main reason for this post, to concerned2, your reply cracks me up.

Do you really think that what this is all about, Free Money. If so then I truly feel sorry for you & your Family.

The trucking Ind is the only ind in the USA todat that if they quit working, your whole world will change.

Do you Grow a Garden ? Do you grow your own meat ? Do you make your own clothes ?

Do you buy gas for your Car ?

Everything you own was at 1 time or another on a truck & some poor sap spent all night running down the road so you could buy it at your local store.

The Trucking Ind does not want a handout in any way, we like you just want to be able to make a livin.

Although you & I disagree on this issue, I will keep you & others like you in my prayers

Thank You

Dan Little

Little Trucking LLC

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 11:55 PM

Report Abuse

dlittle

The Date is set for April 1, 2008 but Drivers in Ga. went on strike Today

FOX NEWS reported it on http://www.fox24.com/

Posted on: Mar 18, 2008 11:59 PM

Report Abuse

Ahithrophel

If the truckers were to cause the stop of the flow of federal dollars to Washington D C We would have anorther refinery or two in America real soon, even if they had to site it in a desert along an interstate. No Govoner would beg for it, but they all have their other pet projects they expect to find funds for. If you want to be a seller of fuel in America, make them pay to play, as part owner in the next refinery. We would probably also take foriegn money.

Posted on: Mar 19, 2008 12:35 AM

Report Abuse

RedRockinMonkeyBoy

Concerned, your two replies show how TRULY uneducated you are about how this economy survives. WE MAKE IT FLOW!! A recent study showed that if 3/4 of all the trucks stopped, it would take up to 6 weeks for the economy to catch up; nearly 8 weeks to eek ahead.

We're not asking for constant hand outs; just a temporary halt to the fuel taxes. In Atlanta, I put 170 gallons in and paid nearly $700. This job pays relatively well; but the government just keeps taking and taking and enough is enough.

Trucking is the most heavily regulated industry in the country. Yet we provide the most important service to our economy. NOBODY else comes CLOSE to it. Our monetary output keeps raising, yet our incomes keep dropping because our government REFUSES to put the oil companies in check.

When the top 3 people in our government are directly tied to oil; you do the math. 12:01 January 20, 2009 can't ome soon enough for the truckers. Oil's free ride will finally be over.

Posted on: Mar 19, 2008 12:56 AM

Report Abuse

qwhtnice

The comment, IF YOU BOUGHT IT..... THEY BROUGHT IT. is totally true. When oil prices started to spike, I pointed that out to people complaining about fueling their own vehicles. Most never considered the cost of goods would skyrocket along with the gouge at the pump. Don't bash the drivers for having the cajones to do what the rest of the driving population should have done after oil companies started posting BILLIONS in profits, while the average worker's workers wallet was being drained,all under the watchfull eye of this corrupt administration. Did we learn? No, we voted this vile oil man and his cronies in again.

Posted on: Mar 19, 2008 5:09 AM

Report Abuse

Many more comments at the link

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008/03 ... txt?sPos=3
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What a convenient way to make sure that Mexican trucking concerns and drivers put all American companies and drivers out of work once and for all.

Just make sure they can't afford the fuel and insurance to do their jobs and force them off the roads and out of the business.......problem solved.