Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump casts doubt on legality of special counsel Mueller

Trump casts doubt on legality of special counsel Mueller

By Alicia Cohn - 04/21/18 06:28 AM EDT

President Trump on Friday night renewed doubts about the security of the special counsel’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election, by musing in a tweet that the special counsel “was established based on an illegal act.”

“James Comey illegally leaked classified documents to the press in order to generate a Special Council (sic)? Therefore, the Special Council was established based on an illegal act? Really, does everybody know what that means?” he tweeted late Friday evening.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

James Comey illegally leaked classified documents to the press in order to generate a Special Council? Therefore, the Special Council was established based on an illegal act? Really, does everybody know what that means?

11:13 PM - Apr 20, 2018
    Trump is referring to the former FBI director Trump fired last year who gave to a friend at least one and possibly four memos that were based on notes of his interaction with the president. The Justice Department is investigating whether the memos were classified.

Daniel Richman, a law professor at Columbia University, then gave the contents of some of the memos last May to a reporter at The New York Times.

Comey has said he intended to trigger the appointment of a special counsel to take over the investigation, which he was leading, due to his concerns about Trump’s actions.

Comey has said the memo was unclassified, but Trump maintains that the act of leaking the memo was illegal.

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed Robert Mueller to the job last May, saying “public interest requires me to place this investigation under the authority of a person who exercises a degree of independence.”

Trump has long railed against the Russia investigation, calling it a “hoax” and a “witch hunt,” as well as indicating he wants it to be over quickly. Democrats have at times feared that Trump could fire Mueller, but Trump recently noted that despite speculation over the past few months, Mueller - and Rosenstein, the official who appointed him - are “still here.”

It appears likely that Trump in his latest tweet was responding to the DOJ’s inspector general probe into whether Comey’s memos were classified, but the tweet is likely to raise concerns again that Trump is looking for a reason to get rid of Mueller.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ounsel-mueller
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What Mueller has done to Mike Flynn is so low, so despicable that I've not been calm enough to actually write about this situation. You force him to plea to lying to the FBI over a statement about "sanctions"? Where is the crime? What is the "material" impact of his statement when you have him on NSA transcript of his phone conservation? What is the criminal investigation his statement misled? What was the crime being investigated?

Mueller has done such a disservice to our country. He had a nice reputation, why, I don't know. I don't know anything about Robert Mueller but many people think he's fair and good and by the book. But they're wrong, because if he was fair, good and by the book, he would have looked at the situation and asked "what crime am I supposed to investigate that you want me to prosecute?" There was no crime, there still isn't any crime. He would have said to Rob Rosenstein, what's going on here? Although I'd love to take millions of dollars of taxpayer money and be famous and all, but I can't in good conscience do that when there is no evidence of a crime having even been committed in the first place.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn