Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Trump imposing tariffs on all steel, aluminum imports; exempts Mexico and Canada for

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We need to systematically terminate and consolidate all these Work Visa programs.

Stop the fraud of foreigners coming here and TAKING our jobs while they pay nothing into our social services systems.

They need to pay a 15% "privilege tax" every payday to work here and every dime goes into OUR social security funds that they do not benefit from!

And get the governments paws OFF our social security and Medicare money...it is NOT your slush fund!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    If NAFTA is terminated then will the TN-1 Visa be terminated too? I hope so!

Those TN-1 Visas are not for lettuce pickers. They are good paying jobs that Americans should have!!!

Get rid of all these foreign worker Visas!
    I think these visas are reciprocal type visas. Or at least that's what they're supposed to be. When we have operations overseas which needs Americans to work in them, they use these types of visas while they are there. The same applies when foreign countries have operations in our country and need their citizens to work in their plants here. Yes, they are usually high paying jobs because they are key elements of the business operation that work with special knowledge of the company and proprietary data.

So no, I don't think they can't get rid of it, but if for some reason the language is too broad and these visas are being issued for other types of work, then that needs to be tightened up, but you would still need the visa for the purposes above. The same would be true for all of our retailers who have retail operations overseas. There is a certain number of Americans required to run, supervise and manage those operations. Same for the other countries in the agreement who have operations in our country.

I don't know for sure if the Tn-1 visa covers this or some other visa covers it, but that's what it sounds like. Like everything to do with NAFTA, whatever it is is being abused against us like every other aspect of NAFTA. The differences between Canada and Mexico are so enormous, I don't see how a 3 party agreement can ever be reached that would satisfy or be fair to the United States.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He is just playing 3D chess. IMO
    Trump: Much More Than 2% Of Imported Steel Comes From China, "It Is Called Trans-Shipping"

Posted By Tim Hains
    On Date March 6, 2018

The president answered a question about his newly proposed tariff on steel and aluminum at a press conference with the Swedish PM on Tuesday. President Trump disputed widespread reports originating with a Department of Commerce document saying that only 2% of U.S. steel imports come from China are not true because of "trans-shipping." He explained that means "it doesn't look good when it all comes out of China, so they send it through other countries and then it comes to us."

The president explained: "So China doesn't send us 2%. They send us a much, much higher level than that. But it is called trans-shipping."

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Just to add maybe a little bit further, if you talk China, I have watched where the reporters have been writing 2% of our steel comes from China. Well, that's not right. They trans-ship all through other countries. And you'll see that a country that doesn't even have a steel mill is sending us 3% steel for our country. And many countries are doing it. But it comes from China.
    So China doesn't send us 2%. They send us a much, much higher level than that. But it is called trans-shipping.

It doesn't look good when it all comes out of China, so they send it through other countries and it comes to us. It puts our steel mills out of business. Our aluminum mills are going out of business. And we need steel and we need aluminum.

And you know there is a theory that if a country doesn't have steel, it doesn't have a country. And it's true.

So this is more than just pure economics. This is about defense. About the country itself.

Again, remember this, we lose $8 will 00 00 billion year in trade. I think I was elected at least partially on this issue. I've been saying this for 25 years, our country has been taken advantage by everybody. Everybody. Almost everybody. And we cannot let that happen any longer. Not for our companies and not most importantly for our workers. So we're not going to let it happen. Please.

Trump addressed the same issue in detail a another point in the presser: Watch Video at link

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well the United States has been taken advantage of by other countries, both friendly and not so friendly for many, many decades. And we have a trade deficit of $800 billion a year. And that's not going to happen with me.

We have been mistreated by many, sometimes fairly but there are really very few instances where that's taken place. And I don't blame the countries. I blame our leadership for allowing it to happen.

When I was with President Xi in China, as an example, we lose $500 billion a year on trade. We have a deficit of approximately $500 billion a year with China, and we're doing things with China which are very strong, but they understand it. But I was with him, and I said to him in public, I said, "Look, I'm not blaming you. I blame our people for not doing a better job; for allowing this to happen."

But it's like that with many countries, other than smaller. The European Union has been particularly tough on the United States. They make it almost impossible for us to do business with them, and yet, they send their cars and everything else back into the United States. And they can do whatever they'd like, but if they do that, then we put a big tax of 25 percent on their cars, and believe me, they won't be doing it very long. The European Union has not treated us well, and it's been a very, very unfair trade situation. I'm here to protect, and one of the reasons I was elected is I'm protecting our workers, I'm protecting our companies, and I'm not going to let that happen.

So we're doing tariffs on steel. We cannot lose our steel industry. It's a fraction of what it once was. And we can't lose our aluminum industry; also a fraction of what it once was. And our country is doing well. The massive tax cuts, and all of the deregulation has really kicked us into gear.

But I have to work on trade deals. We're working on NAFTA right now, and if we're able to make a deal with Canada and Mexico in NAFTA, then there will be no reason to do the tariffs with Canada and Mexico. But again, other countries, we won't have that choice, and -- unless they can do something for us. As an example, if the European Union takes off some of the horrible barriers that make it impossible for our product to go into there, then we can start talking. Otherwise, we're going to leave it the way it is.

So the fact is, we've been mistreated as a country for many years, and it's just not going to happen any longer.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/03/06/trump_reporters_are_wrong_much_more_than_2_of_stee l_comes_from_china_trans-shipping.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member 6 Million Dollar Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post

The key word in that statement from Freeland is “products”. Why? because Canada doesn’t make more than a boutique amount of raw Steel. (Top 40 List) The Canadians, like the Mexicans, import the vast majority of their raw steel from China. Canada then fabricates products from the Chinese steel. This nuanced point is almost always lost on people who discuss trade. This point of origination is also the fatal flaw within NAFTA.

In essence Canada is a brokerage for Chinese manufactured material, and NAFTA is the access trade-door exploited by China for entry into the U.S. market.
    Good find MW. I've read this before. I forget if it was somewhere on here or another article on the internet. But yeah, this article is right. Most of the steel Canada and Mexico sell us is actually crappy cheap Chinese steel, which has devastated our steel industry. Even though they say that only a small amount of the steel we import is from China, this is false, since they use Canada and Mexico as a back door to sell us their steel.

I'm disappointed that Canada and Mexico are exempt from the steel tariffs, but we should at least sign an agreement with Canada and Mexico that says that they are only allowed to sell us steel that is actually made in their countries. Although I would like to see even their steel tariffed.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 Million Dollar Man View Post
    Good find MW. I've read this before. I forget if it was somewhere on here or another article on the internet. But yeah, this article is right. Most of the steel Canada and Mexico sell us is actually crappy cheap Chinese steel, which has devastated our steel industry. Even though they say that only a small amount of the steel we import is from China, this is false, since they use Canada and Mexico as a back door to sell us their steel.

I'm disappointed that Canada and Mexico are exempt from the steel tariffs, but we should at least sign an agreement with Canada and Mexico that says that they are only allowed to sell us steel that is actually made in their countries. Although I would like to see even their steel tariffed.
    You're welcome and I agree with you.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post

Trump: Much More Than 2% Of Imported Steel Comes From China, "It Is Called Trans-Shipping"

The president explained: "So China doesn't send us 2%. They send us a much, much higher level than that. But it is called trans-shipping."
    PRESIDENT TRUMP: Just to add maybe a little bit further, if you talk China, I have watched where the reporters have been writing 2% of our steel comes from China. Well, that's not right. They trans-ship all through other countries. And you'll see that a country that doesn't even have a steel mill is sending us 3% steel for our country. And many countries are doing it. But it comes from China.
    Another good find. Thank you Newmexican. Yes, other countries, namely China, are able to exploit us through NAFTA. This needs to stop, and NAFTA should be terminated.

When I was a kid, Chicago was extremely prosperous. My parents and uncles told me that it was even more prosperous before I was born, in the 50's and 60s. Once the steel mills started closing down, it set off a chain reaction with companies that did work for the mills. The closing of most of the mills has devastated the economy of the midwest. And also parts of the southeast, since that's where all the coal came from to make the steel. I've seen the devastation first-hand of what imported steel has done, along with everyone who lives in the midwest. That's why no one (politician) can ever pull the wool over my eyes, or anyone who lives in the midwest, with the lie that steel tariffs will hurt us, because we know better. That's why Trump won over most of the midwest, by promising these tariffs on imported steel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12