Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The US Has Become A Worse Police State Than Orwell Could Imagine

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    Tacoma Cop Blocker Finds What Appears To Be Government Tracking Device On Their Truck

September 27, 2014

An individual known to those involved with Tacoma Cop Block reached out after discovering a device attached via magnet to the frame of his truck. That individual was rightly was surprised/shocked, as its believed it may be some sort of tracking device. The unit was actually discovered months ago, but since no one has yet contacted that individual about the device, this information is being made public in an attempt to help ascertain its functionality and perhaps, who may employ to such technology. Any help would be greatly appreciated. An attorney associated with Tacoma Cop Block is having it inspected as well.

Read more at http://libertycrier.com/tacoma-cop-b...oZKjj9f2w2f.99

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty; When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." --[Thomas Jefferson?]
    Last edited by kathyet2; 10-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Banned
    Cop Threatens To Take Man’s Baby To “Children’s Services” Over Refusal To Show ID

October 8, 2014
    WARNING: Contains language that may be considered offensive

Video of a Sandusky traffic stop circulating on social media this week has spurred debate citywide, and beyond. A local man is outraged by police behavior, a Sandusky attorney deemed it a bogus stop, and the assistant police chief stressed that officers’ actions were in accordance with proper procedure.

On Wednesday, at 7:07 p.m., Andre Stockett, 34, of Huron, was a passenger in a car that was stopped by Sandusky police at Remington Avenue and Cleveland Road.
    The driver was Kathryn Said, 30, of Taylor, Mich., with the couple’s two-week-old infant tucked in the backseat.
    Sandusky police Assistant Chief Phil Frost said Officer Christopher Denny stopped Said’s car because her Ohio license plate number showed she had an expired Ohio driver’s license.
    Legal traffic stop, or not?
    Said handed over her valid Michigan license, and it was at about that point Stockett flipped on his phone’s video recorder.
    According to Denny’s police report, he’d watched Said pick up Stockett outside an apartment building and suspected he was Jeremy Newell, a man wanted on felony warrants.
    In Stockett’s video, Denny is seen re-approaching the car on Stockett’s side. After Denny seemingly asks for Stockett’s ID, or for him to step out of the car, the conversation goes roughly as follows:
    Cop Threatens To Take Man’s Baby To “Children’s Services” Over Refusal To Show ID [continued]

Sandusky cop stop causes stir

Suspect used cell phone to record dispute with police; vows to take obstruction charge to trial

Courtney Astolfi

Oct 4, 2014

astolfi@sanduskyregister.com
    Video of a Sandusky traffic stop circulating on social media this week has spurred debate citywide, and beyond.
    Watch the video in the player below (WARNING: Contains language that may be considered offensive)
    A local man is outraged by police behavior, a Sandusky attorney deemed it a bogus stop, and the assistant police chief stressed that officers' actions were in accordance with proper procedure.
    On Wednesday, at 7:07 p.m., Andre Stockett, 34, of Huron, was a passenger in a car that was stopped by Sandusky police at Remington Avenue and Cleveland Road.
    The driver was Kathryn Said, 30, of Taylor, Mich., with the couple's two-week-old infant tucked in the backseat.
    Read the police report below
    Sandusky police Assistant Chief Phil Frost said Officer Christopher Denny stopped Said's car because her Ohio license plate number showed she had an expired Ohio driver's license.
    Legal traffic stop, or not?
    Said handed over her valid Michigan license, and it was at about that point Stockett flipped on his phone's video recorder.
    According to Denny's police report, he'd watched Said pick up Stockett outside an apartment building and suspected he was Jeremy Newell, a man wanted on felony warrants.
    In Stockett's video, Denny is seen re-approaching the car on Stockett's side. After Denny seemingly asks for Stockett's ID, or for him to step out of the car, the conversation goes roughly as follows:
    Stockett: “No, for what?”
    Denny: “Cause you look exactly like a person that has warrants, OK?”
    Stockett: “But that's not me.”
    Denny: “OK, then you can ID yourself.”
    Stockett: “I don't have to ID myself.”
    Denny: “Yes, you do.”
    Stockett: “I'm not answering none of your questions.”

Denny threatens Stockett with arrest for obstruction, and shortly thereafter addresses him as “Mr. Newell.”
    “I'm not Mr. Newell...I have done nothing wrong, you have no probable cause, I'm not coming outside the car, I'm scared for my life,” Stockett said. “I haven't done anything wrong, I haven't broken the law... I don't have to get out the car, I don't have to tell you who I am.”
    “It's a lawful stop, understand that. You match the exact description,” Denny said.
    “It doesn't matter, I'm not him,” Stockett replied.
    In an interview with the Register, Stockett said police had no probable cause to either ID him or have him exit the car.
    “They said I looked like someone they had a warrant for. I'm not...Mr. Newell, I know exactly who I am,” Stockett told the Register.
    Frost, on the other hand, said both he and city prosecutor Lynne Gast-King agreed that Stockett and Newell bear a striking resemblance, according to their photos in a police database.
    Frost also said he reviewed dispatch recordings of Denny's radio traffic when he was checking Said's license status — the officer inquired about Newell's felony warrants, thus, according to Frost, showing that Denny believed Stockett was indeed Newell.
    Other points of contention
    Stockett also expressed concern at the multitude of, and in his opinion, conflicting, reasons Denny — and later Officers Evan Estep and Adam West — gave as to why the car was stopped and why Stockett needed to exit:
    Both in Denny's report and Stockett's video, Denny said Said was driving without head lights.
    •Attorney Geoff Oglesby said due to the brief amount of time between Said stopping the car and the official sunset, driving without headlights was perfectly legal.
    •Frost said he was unsure on that rule and thought the cutoff was dusk, but would look into it. He did note the sun that appears to shine behind Denny's head in the video is the actually the reflection of Stockett's flash.
    Stockett told Denny he then didn't have probable cause to run a K9 unit around the car,
    •Denny, however, justified it by citing Said's “nervousness” and Stockett not producing an ID.
    •Stockett contended she wasn't nervous, and Said herself said she was upset.
    •“To establish probable cause, (police) say, 'Oh, the person's nervous.' It appears now this is a script,” Oglesby said.
    •“Let's say...she wasn't nervous at all. You have a legal reason to be there and a legal reason to identify him, how much more do you need? All of it could've been solved if he just shows his ID,” Frost said.
    And the point that most outraged Stockett, and perhaps Oglesby, was Denny's eventual mention of Children's Services.
    “Then your children will go to Children's Services,” Denny said, after the K9 alerted to drugs and Stockett refused to exit the car, instructing Said to do the same.
    “This baby is not about to be taken from me,' an emotional Said responded.
    •“I don't look at (the mention of Children's Services) as a threat; I would rather it not be taken as a threat,” Frost said. “Could that ultimately happen to someone being arrested, yes...we do not want to displace a child from their mom or parent.”
    Officers were spoken with Thursday night about issue, however.
    “They were counseled on their use of that last evening,” Frost said. “I don't like the way it was used personally and it was already addressed.”
    •Oglesby took issue with the mention of social workers in particular.
    "The utilization of Children's Services to further the interest of the drug task force...is a problem," the attorney said.
    After the stop
    Stockett and Said ultimately exited after about five minutes, and the pair were arrested on obstruction charges, the police report stated.
    “It was so unprofessional,” Stockett said. “I tried to compose myself as long as I could....my girl takes the baby out of the car, and they search the carseat. I'm sitting in a police car, and I can't do nothing about that. He's two weeks old. I don't know where it goes from here.”
    Frost, meanwhile, ordered a thorough review of the matter.
    A formal complaint has not been filed, but Sandusky police received numerous calls Thursday about the video.
    “I got ahold of our prosecutor and she said 'I want a report that says every little detail',” Frost said.
    As for Stockett, he said he's taking it to trial — he appeared in Sandusky Municipal court in a preliminary hearing Thursday.

Read more at http://libertycrier.com/cop-threaten...pRBi8yYcZvi.99

Banned
    Video: Citizen Pulls Over Unmarked Sheriff’s Deputy, Issues Warning

Officer informed of illegal activity

by Mikael Thalen | Infowars.com | October 13, 2014

A Washington state sheriff’s deputy was in for a surprise last week after being flagged down by a local resident.

Citizen Pulls Officer Over - Gives a Verbal Warning.

The incident began last Saturday when liberty activist and former congressional candidate Gavin Seim noticed a Grant County deputy driving an unmarked vehicle.

According to Washington state law RCW 46.08.065, no law enforcement officer is permitted to use an unmarked vehicle unless in accordance with undercover work.

It is unlawful for any public officer having charge of any vehicle owned or controlled by any county, city, town, or public body in this state other than the state of Washington and used in public business to operate the same upon the public highways of this state unless and until there shall be displayed upon such automobile or other motor vehicle in letters of contrasting color not less than one and one-quarter inches in height in a conspicuous place on the right and left sides thereof, the name of such county, city, town, or other public body, together with the name of the department or office upon the business of which the said vehicle is used.
    After requesting the deputy’s identification, Seim laid out his reasoning for the stop while confirming that the officer was not in compliance.
    “You seem to be doing something that is clearly in violation of Washington state law,” Seim says.
    The deputy, appearing somewhat annoyed by the encounter, responds by accusing Seim of “playing games.”
    “This isn’t a game, it’s called law,” Seim responds.
    The interaction, which continues for more than 15 minutes, exemplifies what a healthy encounter should look like between peace officers and their employers.
    Unmarked vehicles are a ripe opportunity for confusion in a citizens reaction and for criminals to impersonate lawful authority to get people to stop. People have been raped and even murdered because of this, so the law is good sense. In WA, all municipal and police vehicles must be marked UNLESS they fall under special exemptions. These exemptions do not apply to patrol vehicles. In fact there’s even WA State court precedent where a man fled police and his felony charge was thrown out because the pursuing vehicle was not properly marked. Pretty interesting.
    Seim, who has had several other widely-viewed encounters with police, joins a growing number of people attempting to keep public employees accountable.
    Whether negative or positive, such videos will undoubtedly increase as Americans take a greater interest in the rule of law and their constitutional rights.
    Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/mt.examiner
    Follow Mikael Thalen @ https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen

Banned
    Cops Caught Using Millions In Seized Assets On Surveillance Gear, Weapons And Clowns

October 14, 2014

Police agencies have used hundreds of millions of dollars taken from Americans under federal civil forfeiture law in recent years to buy guns, armored cars and electronic surveillance gear. They have also spent money on luxury vehicles, travel and a clown named Sparkles.

The details are contained in thousands of annual reports submitted by local and state agencies to the Justice Department’s Equitable Sharing Program, an initiative that allows local and state police to keep up to 80 percent of the assets they seize. The Washington Post obtained 43,000 of the reports dating from 2008 through a Freedom of Information Act request.
    The documents offer a sweeping look at how police departments and drug task forces across the country are benefiting from laws that allow them to take cash and property without proving a crime has occurred. The law was meant to decimate drug organizations, but The Post found that it has been used as a routine source of funding for law enforcement at every level.
    “In tight budget periods, and even in times of budget surpluses, using asset forfeiture dollars to purchase equipment and training to stay current with the ever-changing trends in crime fighting helps serve and protect the citizens,” said Prince George’s County, Md., police spokeswoman Julie Parker.
    Cops Caught Using Millions In Seized Assets On Surveillance Gear, Weapons And Clowns [continued]
    Burning bill image from Shutterstock.com

rest of the story below

Asset seizures fuel police spending

Story by Robert O'Harrow Jr., Steven Rich

Published on October 11, 2014

Police agencies have used hundreds of millions of dollars taken from Americans under federal civil forfeiture law in recent years to buy guns, armored cars and electronic surveillance gear. They have also spent money on luxury vehicles, travel and a clown named Sparkles.

ABOVE: In Douglasville, Ga, population 32,000, an armored personnel carrier costing $227,000 was bought using money taken from Americans under civil forfeiture laws.

The details are contained in thousands of annual reports submitted by local and state agencies to the Justice Department’s Equitable Sharing Program, an initiative that allows local and state police to keep up to 80 percent of the assets they seize. The Washington Post obtained 43,000 of the reports dating from 2008 through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Stop and Seize: In recent years, thousands of people have had cash confiscated by police without being charged with crimes. The Post looks at the police culture behind the seizures and the people who were forced to fight the government to get their money back.
    Part 1: After Sept. 11, 2001, a cottage industry of private police trainers emerged to teach aggressive techniques of highway interdiction to thousands of local and state police.
    Part 2: One training firm started a private intelligence-sharing network and helped shape law enforcement nationwide.
    Part 3: Motorists caught up in the seizures talk about the experience and the legal battles that could take over a year.
    Chat transcript​: The reporters behind “Stop and Seize” answered readers’ questions about the investigative series.

The documents offer a sweeping look at how police departments and drug task forces across the country are benefiting from laws that allow them to take cash and property without proving a crime has occurred. The law was meant to decimate drug organizations, but The Post found that it has been used as a routine source of funding for law enforcement at every level.
    “In tight budget periods, and even in times of budget surpluses, using asset forfeiture dollars to purchase equipment and training to stay current with the ever-changing trends in crime fighting helps serve and protect the citizens,” said Prince George’s County, Md., police spokeswoman Julie Parker.
    Brad Cates, a former director of asset forfeiture programs at the Justice Department, said the spending identified by The Post suggests police are using Equitable Sharing as “a free floating slush fund.” Cates, who oversaw the program while at Justice from 1985 to 1989, said it has enabled police to sidestep the traditional budget process, in which elected leaders create law enforcement spending priorities.
    “All of this is fundamentally at odds with the U.S. Constitution,” said Cates, who recently co-wrote an article calling for the program’s abolition on The Post’s editorial page. “All of this is at odds with the rights that Americans have.”

Of the nearly $2.5 billion in spending reported in the forms, 81 percent came from cash and property seizures in which no indictment was filed, according to an analysis by The Post. Owners must prove that their money or property was acquired legally in order to get it back.
    The police purchases comprise a rich mix of the practical and the high-tech, including an array of gear that has helped some departments militarize their operations: Humvees, automatic weapons, gas grenades, night-vision scopes and sniper gear. Many departments acquired electronic surveillance equipment, including automated license-plate readers and systems that track cellphones.
    The spending also included a $5 million helicopter for Los Angeles police; a mobile command bus worth more than $1 million in Prince George’s County; an armored personnel carrier costing $227,000 in Douglasville, Ga., population 32,000; $5,300 worth of “challenge coin” medallions in Brunswick County, N.C.; $4,600 for a Sheriff’s Award Banquet by the Doña Ana County (N.M.) Sheriff’s Department; and a $637 coffee maker for the Randall County Sheriff’s Department in Amarillo, Tex.

Sparkles the Clown was hired with asset forfeiture proceeds by police in the Village of Reminderville, Ohio, where she painted children's faces at a community relations event. (Ron Fowler)

Sparkles the Clown was hired for $225 by Chief Jeff Buck in Reminderville, Ohio, to improve community relations. But Buck said the seizure money has been crucial to sustaining long-term investigations that have put thousands of drug traffickers in prison.
    “The money I spent on Sparkles the Clown is a very, very minute portion of the forfeited money that I spend in fighting the war on drugs,” he told The Post.
    About 5,400 departments and drug task forces have participated in the Equitable Sharing Program since 2008. Justice spokesman Peter Carr said the program is an effective weapon to fight crime but should not be considered “an alternative funding source for state and local law enforcement.”
    “It removes the tools of crime from criminal organizations, deprives wrongdoers of the proceeds of their crimes, recovers property that may be used to compensate victims, and deters crime,” he said in a statement. “Any funds received through the equitable sharing program are meant to enhance and supplement, not supplant or replace an agency’s appropriated budget and resources.”

Money for gear, training

A local or state police agency can seize cash or property under federal law through the Equitable Sharing Program when a federal agency such as the Drug Enforcement Administration or Immigration and Customs Enforcement agrees to adopt the seizure under federal law. Federal agencies generally are allowed to keep 20 percent or more of the seizure after an adoption.

‘Your property is guilty until you prove it innocent’
    In the wake of Sept. 11, 2001, an aggressive brand of policing called “highway interdiction,” which involves authorities seizing money and property during traffic stops, has grown in popularity. Thousands of people not charged with crimes are left fighting legal battles to regain their money.

(Gabe Silverman/The Washington Post)

In September, The Post reported that police across the country became more aggressive in their use of federal civil asset forfeiture laws after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Officials at Justice and the Department of Homeland Security encouraged a technique known as highway interdiction to help in the fight against drugs and terror.
    There have been 61,998 cash seizures on highways and elsewhere since 9/11 without search warrants or indictments and processed through the Equitable Sharing Program, according to an analysis of Justice data obtained by The Post.
    Equitable Sharing participants must follow rules contained in a 50-page Equitable Sharing guide that require the proceeds of seizures to be used “by law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes only.”
    Permissible uses include overtime pay, training, building construction and improvements and equipment — everything from file cabinets and fitness gear to automatic weapons, surveillance systems and cars. They also can use proceeds to buy food and drinks at conferences or during disaster operations.
    Police generally may not pay ongoing salaries or otherwise support annual budgets. One exception allows for departments to pay salaries of newly hired officers for one year or officers assigned to a drug task force as a replacement “so long as the replacement officer does not engage in the seizure of assets or narcotics law enforcement as a principal duty.”
    The Justice Department has about 15 employees assigned to overseeing compliance. Five employees review thousands of annual reports for discrepancies. Justice employees also use analytical tools to search for spending patterns. Several attorneys review all sharing requests for $1 million or more, Carr said, adding that the locals also do their own audits.

The annual reports from local and state police are required to help “promote public confidence” in the program and to protect against “waste, fraud and abuse,” the guidelines say. But the forms provide few details about what is actually purchased, according to documents and interviews. That is in part because the department leaves it up to local officials to decide how to categorize their spending. There is little room to provide line-item detail.
    Justice’s inspector general’s office has conducted 25 audits on spending since 2008, an average of four a year, examining more than $18 million in Equitable Sharing spending, roughly three-quarters of 1 percent of the money spent during that time. Justice has challenged millions of dollars in spending as unsupported or unallowable.
    One audit examined about $3.4 million in Equitable Sharing funds that the Oklahoma Highway Patrol spent from July 2009 to June 2012.
    The audit found $1.9 million in unallowable and unsupported expenditures relating to salaries, overtime pay, construction, fees paid to contractors and the use of two Ford F-150 pickup trucks by non-law enforcement personnel.
    Oklahoma authorities did not return calls seeking comment.
    Auditors found the Mesa County, Colo., Sheriff’s Office paid thousands for projectors, scanner equipment and other items that were not intended for law enforcement. They also paid for 20 lawyers in the Mesa County prosecutor’s office to attend a conference at the Keystone ski resort. Auditors questioned more than $78,000 in spending.
    The Mesa Sheriff’s Office also did not respond to calls from The Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...lice-spending/

Read more at http://libertycrier.com/cops-caught-...Vys8Kzg7XpG.99
    Last edited by kathyet2; 10-14-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Banned
    The Free Thought Project originally shared:

NYPD Cost Taxpayers Nearly a Half Billion in the Last 5 Years From Civil Rights Violations ~
    Read more: http://goo.gl/LU2Whd

Released documents show that New York City shelled out hundreds of millions of dollars to settle civil rights lawsuits involving the New York Police Department.

RT.com
    The documents – released by the New York City Law Department – show more than 12,000 cases since 2009 where the city paid out $428 million in police-related settlements. The records were released after a Freedom of Information Act request was made by MuckRock, asking the department just how many civil rights lawsuits were filed against the city when the police department was listed as a defendant over a five-year period.
    While the list will require further review since the case histories are not provided, the Gothamist has argued that not all the settlements seem to be the result of police misconduct. The largest payout of $11.5 million went to Google engineer Sasha Blair-Goldensohn, who was nearly killed in 2009 when a tree branch fell on him in Central Park. Another large settlement went to the family of Ronald Spear, who died after being beaten by Rikers Island guards – officials who work for the Department of Corrections, not the NYPD. Without those two cases, though, there are still several thousand cases in which the NYPD was listed as a defendant.

AliasHere @AliasHere Follow

Are police a costly liability? RT@StacyLeMelle: $428 Million in NYPD-Related Settlements Paid http://bit.ly/1w0rd41 via @intelligencer
    9:15 PM - 12 Oct 2014
    $428 Million in NYPD-Related Settlements Paid

Your tax dollars at work.

Daily Intelligencer @intelligencer

Meanwhile, many of the lawsuits filed were found to have alleged false arrest, the New York Daily News discovered in an analysis of lawsuits filed against the city and the NYPD over a decade. Scores of cases involved injured people who had criminal charges against them thrown out, and people who lost or almost lost their jobs, kids, pets, or homes.
    Spencer Platt / Getty Images / AFP

The list also doesn’t say how long cases have been pending against the city. For example, the Central Park Five jogger case took a decade to reach a settlement. The Central Park Five – five black and Latino teenagers – were accused, charged, and incarcerated for allegedly raping a jogger in the park. The five had their convictions vacated in 2002 after the real rapist confessed to the crime. They sued the city for wrongful conviction, but the case was only recently settled in 2014 – for $41 million.

At the announcement of their settlement, Raymond Santana told reporters what the five had experienced: “It’s been twenty-five years since we went through this great injustice. The labels, the forced imprisonment, the destruction of our family structures, the turning of the backs, the ridicule.”
    In the first six months of this year, New York City has spent nearly $103 million on police misconduct and civil rights settlements, according to figures provided by the city comptroller’s office. For all of last year, the city paid out $96 million for such lawsuits, as Mayor Bloomberg routinely dismissed the relevance of civil suits against the NYPD – even as the number of claims over the past decade rose to a record high in 2012.
    As part of a broader strategy to shrink claims costs across New York, city comptroller Scott Stringer said he is launching a program called ClaimStat – a “data-driven claims review that will identify patterns and practices across city agencies that lead to claims and work with agencies to find solutions that save taxpayers money.
    Republished with permission from Russia Today

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/tax...UmKyPUpz2fH.99

Banned

Citizen Pulls Over Cops. Cop Admits They are Above the Law, “We don’t have to Wear Seat Belts”

(Video: http://bit.ly/1wjEqHl)

Citizen Pulls Over Cops. Cop Admits They are Above the Law, “We don’t have to Wear Seat Belts”

By Mike Sawyer on October 17, 2014

If ever you needed proof that the police are here to collect revenue, one only need to refer to seat belt violations.
    Police are most assuredly not looking out for your well-being when they fine you for not wearing your seat belt. They are collecting revenue for the state and looking for further reason to detain and harass you.
    Over and over we see police officers refuse to wear their seat belts while simultaneously enforcing seat belt laws.
    Yes seat belts save lives, but this does not grant the state the right to violate your person or property to mandate that you wear one.
    That being said, if a “commoner” is “caught” without their seat belt on they will be pulled over and ticketed, a.k.a. extorted via threats of violence from the state.
    If the ticket is not paid, the commoner will be put in a cage. If the commoner resists being locked in a cage, that person will have violence enacted against them and can be killed. This is how the “legal” system functions in the United States.
    Understanding this premise and then witnessing the callous disregard for laws which police00000 are supposed not only enforce, but abide by, creates a large wedge between law enforcement and the people.

No one likes a hypocrite; especially one that can legally kill you for not wearing your seat belt. Doubt this claim? Simply look at the case of Marlon Brown who was killed by a cop who saw him driving without his seat belt. Officer James Harris is still officer James Harris, despite the tax payers of Deland shelling out over a half million to the family of Brown for Harris’ murderous actions.
    One would think that in order to maintain the trust of the public and positive public relations, that cops would make sure to not display blatant disregard for the law; but one would be wrong.

Published on Jun 3, 2013
    Click it or Ticket. Why do we not care that our public servants break laws we pay them to enforce? I know I can not take it any more, OK?

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cit...PH2BE10BAqO.99

Banned

Banned
    Citizenfour Official Trailer 1 (2014) - Edward Snowden Documentary HD

Published on Oct 10, 2014
    Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6h
    Subscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUn
    Subscribe to INDIE TRAILERS: http://goo.gl/iPUuo
    Like us on FACEBOOK: http://goo.gl/dHs73
    Follow us on TWITTER: http://bit.ly/1ghOWmt
    Citizenfour Official Trailer 1 (2014) - Edward Snowden Documentary HD

CITIZENFOUR is the never before seen, utterly riveting first-person look at how director Laura Poitras and journalist Glenn Greenwald first met with whistleblower Edward Snowden in Hong Kong where he gave them documents showing widespread abuses of power by the National Security Administration. It is an unprecedented fly-on-the-wall account of one of the most groundbreaking moments in recent history.

In January 2013, Poitras (recipient of the 2012 MacArthur Genius Fellowship and co-recipient of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service) was several years into making a film about surveillance in the post-9/11 era when she started receiving encrypted e-mails from someone identifying himself as "citizen four," who was ready to blow the whistle on the massive covert surveillance programs run by the NSA and other intelligence agencies. In June 2013, she and Greenwald flew to Hong Kong for the first of many meetings with the man who turned out to be Snowden. She brought her camera with her. The film that resulted from this series of tense encounters is absolutely sui generis in the history of cinema: a 100% real-life thriller unfolding minute by minute before our eyes.

Banned
    New investigation after '2,000 police officers' are implicated in corruption
    Exclusive: Independent investigation reveals thousands of officers are suspected to be crooked TOM HARPER Friday 17 October 2014 Police corruption is to be investigated by a powerful committee of MPs amid fears of widespread impropriety – as The Independent...

lisbonmaine.net
    Exclusive: Independent investigation reveals thousands of officers are suspected to be crooked TOM HARPER Friday 17 October 2014 Police corruption is to be investigated by a powerful committee of MPs amid fears of widespread...

Exclusive: Independent investigation reveals thousands of officers are suspected to be crooked
    TOM HARPER

Friday 17 October 2014
    Police corruption is to be investigated by a powerful committee of MPs amid fears of widespread impropriety – as The Independent reveals that thousands of officers are suspected to be crooked.

The Home Affairs Select Committee will launch an inquiry next month into the police’s relationship with organised crime, focusing on the infiltration of forces by criminal networks.

The inquiry, which will allow MPs to hear from witnesses under the protection of parliamentary privilege, follows a series of scandals including the inquiries relating to Stephen Lawrence, Daniel Morgan, phone-hacking and Plebgate.

It comes as The Independent can reveal for the first time the Government’s official estimate of how many members of police staff were suspected of being compromised by dealings with criminals.b

An analysis of intelligence by Home Office researchers found between 0.5 and 1 per cent of the 200,000 police officers and civilian employees in England and Wales in 2003 were “potentially corrupt”, and involved in leaking information to criminals, stealing property during raids, fabricating evidence, helping villains to escape prosecution and “using their power to obtain money or sexual favours from the public”.

However, the previously unnoticed report said the problem at the time was “far wider” and made clear the 2,000 figure did not include officers suspected of “criminality and misconduct”, which included dealing and using drugs ranging from steroids to crack cocaine, fraud, domestic violence and “sexist, racist and homophobic behaviour”.

Read more http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-investigation-after-2000-police-officers-are-implicated-in-corruption-9802832.html

Banned