Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

US House Speaker Backs Dalai Lama

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:30 PM

DHARMSALA, India -- Walking arm-in-arm with the Dalai Lama, the U.S. House speaker lent her support Friday to the Tibetan cause, calling China's crackdown in Tibet "a challenge to the conscience of the world."

Rep. Nancy Pelosi was the first major foreign official to meet with the exiled Tibetan Buddhist leader since protests against Chinese rule broke out in Tibet, and she got a warm welcome in his hilltop headquarters in northern India.

"If freedom-loving people throughout the world do not speak out against China's oppression in China and Tibet, we have lost all moral authority to speak on behalf of human rights anywhere in the world," Pelosi told thousands of cheering Tibetans, including monks and schoolchildren.

Pelosi, a Democrat from California, called for an international investigation into the violence in Tibet and dismissed China's claim that the Dalai Lama was behind the unrest as making "no sense."

The Dalai Lama, who has based his exile community in Dharmsala for nearly 50 years, has urged Tibetans to refrain from violence in their protests. He also expressed dismay over assaults on Han Chinese living in Tibet, while also strongly criticizing China's tough clampdown.

After protests turned violent on March 14 in Lhasa, Tibet's capital, the Beijing government sent security forces to blanket Tibetan areas of western China and crush any unrest.

"Nothing surprises me about the use of violence on the part of the Chinese government," said Pelosi, who had scheduled a visit by her congressional delegation long before the protests broke out.

"I pray for success of the speaker of such a great nation, considered a champion of freedom, democracy and liberty," said the Dalai Lama, who draped a gold scarf around Pelosi's neck.

"Perhaps it's our karma, our fate, to be with you at such a sad time," Pelosi said.

After meeting with the Tibetan leader, Pelosi said China's government should open the restive Himalayan region to foreign journalists and independent monitors.

Rep. James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, the ranking Republican on the trip, also expressed his support for Tibetans.

"In the U.S. Congress, there is no division between Democrats and Republicans on the issue of protecting Tibetan culture and eliminating repression against Tibetans around the world," he said.

Hundreds of people lined the roads to the Dalai Lama's compound, some with signs saying "Thank You for Your Support" and "Long Live America-Tibet Friendship." About 2,000 more people waited in the temple's main courtyard, many waving Indian, U.S. and Tibetan flags.

Kalsing Phuntsok, 37, a teacher who was in the crowd, called Pelosi "a very good friend of Tibet."

"America has a big role to play, a very big role," he said.

http://www.newsmax.com/international/pe ... 82178.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: US House Speaker Backs Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    Hi Airborne Sapper 7,

That's real strange - she's a damn commie, just like Hillary. You sure it's not an impersonator? Or is it just for show and she's still winking at the Chinese Communists?

Ok, Airborne Sapper 7, lemme suggest something. Those who really want to express displeasure with Communist China over this, there is a way to get the message across.

And that is, to BOYCOTT WALMART.

Would walmart shoppers be willing to do what's right? Naw, they're a bunch of brain dead a$$holes who could care less that the money goes to the Chinese nuclear missile program. Of course we should acknowledge that walmart shoppers also include illegals, liberals, MS-13s, drug dealers, and other scum bags.

AirborneSapper7, I've got no more respect for walmart shoppers than I have for Hillary, Osama Obama, or John (Mr. Amnesty) McCain.

ALL YOU WALMART SHOPPERS OUT THERE,
    ARE YOU PROUD OF THIS?

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    AirborneSapper7, I've got no more respect for walmart shoppers than I have for Hillary, Osama Obama, or John (Mr. Amnesty) McCain.
    I'm with you there Coto, and good seeing you again
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)