Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vista stops issuing new fines against Santa display

No Santa, but illegals can protest in the streets carrying the mexican flag?

http://nctimes.com/articles/2006/12/28/ ... _27_06.txt

Vista stops issuing new fines against Santa display

By: SHAYNA CHABNER - Staff Writer

VISTA -- A dispute between the city and a merchant over his larger-than-life Christmas display has been placed on hold for the holidays, officials said Wednesday.

The city is giving Gary Wayman, the owner of Postal Centre of Vista, until the start of 2007 to take down the inflatable 7-foot motorcycle-riding Santa, as well as a stereo that has been playing holiday tunes from the roof of his store's entryway, said Patrick Johnson, assistant to the city manager.

"We issued two citations and we are giving him through the holidays to take (the decorations) down," Johnson said.

Earlier this month, Wayman was slapped with two citations and fines of $100 and $200 for violating city codes, because he lacked a permit for the inflatable figure -- a permit the city refused to grant. The citations also said the outdoor music was a violation because it meant that the shop was not conducting its business within the store's four walls.

Wayman declined to remove the display, saying he was simply promoting holiday cheer and the Christmas spirit.

The city faxed another warning Dec. 15, saying a third citation of $500 would be issued if the display was not removed by Dec. 18. However, the third citation was never issued.

"Because of the holidays and everything else, we felt it was enough," Johnson said of the first two citations.

Wayman said Wednesday that he had not received any more citations or city faxes and was hoping that the standoff with the city was over.

"I hope that it's going to pass and that will be the end of it," Wayman said.

He added that the display -- which has been up since the beginning of the month -- will be removed after the holidays and said he plans to contest the fines.

"I don't appreciate the harassment," Wayman said. "I believe that it was out of line and very distasteful for the whole community."

After news broke about the citations, several dozen residents rose up in support of Wayman, and even offered to pay the fines. Although no donations were accepted, Wayman said, the offers amounted to several hundred dollars and free legal representation.

The city grants violators 30 days to pay fines without further financial penalty. After the grace period is over, the fine will increase by 10 percent every 30 days for a total of 150 days, Johnson said. At that point, the fines are sent to collections.

The most Wayman will be held responsible for, if he refuses to pay, is $146.41 for the $100 fine and $298.82 for the $200 fine, Johnson said.

-- Contact staff writer Shayna Chabner at (760) 631-6604 or schabner@nctimes.com.

I would lay it out in jail before I paid it!
    Build the dam fence post haste!