Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colorado (2009)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

April
    Got this message from Ted as well.

[quote]From: "Ted Harvey" <ted.house.senate@state.co.us> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    To: XXXXXXX
    Subject: RE: IMPORTANT!!!
    Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:38:54 -0600

XXXX,

Senate Bill 170, the bill to give in-state tuition to illegal immigrants, has been scheduled for a committee hearing this Friday. The Senate Appropriations committee will hear testimony and debate the bill this Friday in Senate Committee room 356 starting at 7:30.

This hearing is your chance to weigh in on the bill – any interested citizen may testify. If you cannot come to the hearing, you may listen to the debate online at:

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2 ... o?OpenForm

Rest assured that I will be a “no

White and King responded, saying they oppose this bill.
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

I received this email about a new development from Ted Harvey today.

I’ve just been informed of a development on SB 170, the bill to give in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.

Originally, the bill was scheduled for a vote this Friday in the Senate Appropriations committee, but it has now been rescheduled for a vote this Wednesday at 7:30 am in Senate Committee Room 356.

I do not believe that this rescheduling was a coincidence – I recently informed by colleagues in the Senate that I will be out of town this Wednesday and Thursday for an unavoidable family emergency. Now Senate Bill 170 has been rescheduled for a vote on Wednesday, when I cannot be present to cast a “no

Senator Veiga responded that she supports in-state tuition for illegals.
    "We have decided man doesn't need a backbone any more; to have one is old-fashioned. Someday we're going to slip it back on." - William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by apropos
    Senator Veiga responded that she supports in-state tuition for illegals.
    "For (her) Raza everything, for those not LaRaza nothing".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dirty Political Tricks in Colorado Explained by Washington Times
    http://www.alipac.us/article4100.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Working on Colorado.
    These are the one's I have heard from so far.

I did not support the bill in the appropriations committee today and will continue to fight the bill. Keith

I continue to oppose SB09-170.

In a year when Colorado will cut college funding for legal residents in this state, it is inappropriate to even consider tuition subsidies for those who are in this country illegally.

I was also extremely disappointed with the bad faith shown by the Democrats in the Appropriations Committee yesterday. Exploiting the hardship of another Senator to pass a bad bill is doubly bad faith

Thank you for writing me about Senate Bill 170, Senator Romer’s proposal to give in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.

I am opposed to this bill: I do not believe that law-abiding taxpayers should subsidize tuition for illegal immigrants. I have sponsored bills in the past to prohibit this practice, but so far none have been signed into law. Rest assured that I’ll keep up the fight against funding illegal immigrant social programs with taxpayer dollars.

You have probably heard about the underhanded tactics that the Democrats have used to pass this bill out of committee -- they took advantage of my absence due to a pressing family matter to force through this severely misguided measure.

In spite of their unconscionable tactics, I am hopeful that my Democrat colleagues will recognize the illegality of this bill and kill it before Governor Ritter has a chance to sign it as he has promised.

The public response against this bill has been overwhelming – I hope this widespread public opposition is indicative of wavering Democrat support. One Democrat Senator, Moe Keller, already voted against SB 170 in committee in spite of strong pressure from her fellow Democrats and liberal special interest groups.

SB 170 has been scheduled for a Senate floor debate tomorrow morning. The Senate will convene at 9:00 am, and SB 170 is the 5th bill on the calendar. It is not uncommon for controversial bills to be laid over for several days, so the real debate may not occur until next week.

The Senate will not hear public testimony, but you may listen in person on the 3rd floor of the Senate chambers or online at:

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2 ... o?OpenForm

I’ll keep you updated of any further developments.

Sincerely,

Ted Harvey
    State Senator, Douglas County

Thanks for writing,
    Josh

You wrote about SB 170, the bill allowing in-state tuition to illegal immigrants. You may know that I have been a very vocal opponent to this and had the opportunity to vote against it in the appropriations committee fiasco perpetrated by the majority party.

Please know that I hear you, and trust me, my colleagues hear you. Keep it up, and know that I will continue to fight. I will be visiting with Peter Boyles about this tomorrow morning on KHOW AM 630, at 6:00 AM if you would like to hear more.

To learn more about all that is going on, use the following links:
    • Audio to the senate appropriations committee hearing where Sen. Romer and I debated the legality of the bill.
    • A link to the CO Attorney General's 2006 formal opinion on whether the state can offer in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.
    • My description of the bill on my blog.

Again, thanks so much for letting your voice be heard. Please keep making noise. It's the only way we can hope to defeat it.

Mike

From: Senator Peter Groff…………….This message says to me he supports the bill.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me. I value your opinion and will take your thoughts into consideration as this bill moves through the legislative process.

Best,

Peter C. Groff
    President
    Colorado State Senate

I will vote against it. It was quite the April Fool’s trick to bring the bill up when the deciding vote was out of town on a family emergency.

Hopefully we can defeat it on the floor.

Greg

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns on SB09-170. I openly welcome comments from constituents. I am glad to inform you that I did not support SB09-170 and voted against this bill when it reached the floor. I strongly recommend contacting Senator Chris Romer to express your opinions on the bill since he is the Senate sponsor. Please continue to feel free to contact me regarding any future legislation or issues that may arise.

Sincerely,

Senator Shawn Mitchell

Thank you for your email regarding SB 170. I did support the bill in the appropriations committee. The purpose of appropriations is to make a determination on the financial aspects of the bill. According to our fiscal analysts, the bill actually generates revenue through tuition. This is a positive for our institutions of higher education.
    Sincerely, Senator Paula E. Sandoval
    "When injustice become law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Another update from Senator Mike Kopp

From Senator Mike Kopp

Dear_____________

In the interest of keeping this update as brief as possible, I’ll dive right in:

In-state tuition for illegal immigrants (SB 170)
    In a surprise move, Dems pushed up the date of the committee hearing on this bill because Sen. Ted Harvey, a critical Republican vote, had to leave town to attend to his father-in-law who has Alzheimer’s. Read about the sneak attack in the Denver Post here. As expected, the chairman did not support my motion to delay the vote so our member could return, so we were down a vote, which meant the bill will come to the full senate. I laid out key parts of the case against it during committee debate here, and for part two, here.

Also, it was revealed in committee that the Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) is in full support of the bill. The problem with this is that when the senate education committee confirmed the Executive Director two years ago, I asked the appointee, David Skaggs, to tell the committee his position on providing in-state tuition for illegal immigrants. He said that, “only legal residents or [U.S.] citizens are entitled to in-state treatment in the state system, so I think we’re going to follow the law.
    "When injustice become law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

April
    VICTORY!!!! WAY TO GO PATRIOTS!!!

Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:31:37 -0400
    Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns on SB09-170. I openly welcome comments from constituents. I am glad to inform you that I did not support SB09-170. After a lengthy debate SB09-170 was defeated on the Colorado Senate floor today. Please continue to feel free to contact me regarding any future legislation or issues that may arise.

Sincerely,

Senator Shawn Mitchell

April
    I have good news for you on Senate Bill 170 - the Senate voted 18-16 to kill it this afternoon after nearly five hours of debate.

I cast my vote against this deeply flawed measure, along with all my Republican colleagues and four brave Democrats: Carrol, Keller, Newell, and Tochtrop. Although this deeply misguided measure will likely resurface in future years, I am encouraged by the fact that the will of the public prevailed.

Thank you for your vigilance on this issue – the number of e-mails and phone calls the Senate has received about SB 170 has been overwhelming. On a close vote, public input can make all the difference. Do not hesitate to contact me in the future with any questions or concerns: 303-866-4881.

Sincerely,

Ted Harvey
    State Senator, Douglas County

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast