Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Things are beginning to heat up for the May 12th election for two propositions: Prop 2903 for giving FB officers Federal training so they can act as immigration officers (meaning they can arrest illegals when they discover them during routine traffic stops, where currently they can do nothing) and the more infamous Prop that was in the national news, which forces apartments to check the legal status before renting.

Just today SaveFarmersBranch put a sign in my front lawn (I'm on a major street in town), along with many others, saying "Stand Up for the FBI. Vote For 2903. Uphold the Law." I have all Hispanic neighbors, and two doors down is the opposing sign stating "Vote Against Prop 2903. Don't waste the taxpayer's money!" (Sheesh!! It's NOT a waste to uphold Federal law. It's a waste of taxpayers money to spend millions and billions every year on health care, schooling, after-school care, etc. for illegal immigrants and their kids.)

My next door neighbor had the "For" sign up on their lawn, but they must not have understood what the SaveFarmersBranch representative was asking them to do when he came around asking for permission to put up the sign, as they have torn down the sign and have it lying in their front yard. So far I have seen more "For" signs than against. And we'll see how long the "Against" people allow the "For" signs to stay up. I fully expect some of them to be torn down.

But my boyfriend and I will be there voting FOR the two Props on May 12th!!!

I'm actually just a few blocks away from the shopping center proposal that you're talking about. Farmers Branch really doesn't have any higher class grocery stores in the area. That shopping center originally had an Albertsons, then a discount grocery store (I forget the name, Save something) which closed last year. FB council would like to finally have a nicer grocery store in the neighborhood, which has a lot of stores in the area, but is beginning to fall into disrepair. There have been rumors that the Carnival grocery store wanted to go into that shopping center, and this is a store that caters specifically to the Hispanic population. Of course the FB City Council wants SOMEONE who is higher class and upscale to go into the neighborhood, so the area can be encouraged to be revitalized from it's current low-income strip mall feel. I for one am all for that!!

TexasGal

I would be for it, too. It's nothing against those that are of a lower income. It is for the scenery. It is to attract other businesses into the area. Who wants to open up a new business in a hole of a neighborhood. I hope it works out. No matter what the council does, they will always be looked at as racists by the LULAC bunch. I hope more Farmers Branch residents will vote with you in support of the props.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Well, things are heating up in Farmers Branch!!

Yesterday I finally got my "FOR Prop 2903" sign, and today the "Against Prop 2903" people showed up on my door.

A nicely dressed Hispanic lady speaking perfect English showed up on my doorstep with two of her kids in tow, asking me to take down my FOR sign and put up her AGAINST sign. She stated that keeping illegals out of FB apartments, the fact that FB was "wasting" hundreds of thousands of dollars on the lawsuits fighting these anti-illegal ordinances, and spending tons of money on FBI training for our local police to be able to catch illegals instead of releasing them is a WASTE of our taxpayer money and NOT the way to stop illegal immigration. She claimed she was against illegal immigration, but I had trouble believing her. Anyone who is against the training of cops so they can better uphold FEDERAL LAW is for illegal immigrants.

She believed the money would be better spent on programs for education and the kids of FB (of which many many are the kids of illegal immigrants -- so she wants to continue that program!!).

I didn't want to get into an arguement with her, since she had her kids with her. So I politely said I had done all my research on the issue and I was voting for both Props on May 12th, and I WOULD be keeping my "FOR" sign on the front lawn. At any rate, it think it shows more class on my part by not picking a fight with her and calmly, but firmly, stating my position.

Around five minutes after she left one of the guys back up for re-election to the FB city council (who is against illegals) showed up at my door and thanked me for sticking to my guns and keeping my FOR sign up. (He had somehow heard they were making the rounds and was following a little behind them, I guess seeing if they were swaying anyone to their side).

I think this lady had a very frustrating day, as when I drove down the main street that I live on later today (a very busy street that is a main street in FB), I saw around 90% of the signs were "FOR" these Props. On the few lawns that had the "AGAINST" signs on them, they had two signs per lawn, I guess due to the fact that they couldn't get enough people to display them.

I think it's ironic that all my neighbors are Hispanic, and all but two of them have NO SIGNS up at all (the two had "AGAINST" signs up)!! I think they're afraid to show their support against these ordinances and want to lay low, attracting as little attention as possible.

YAY FOR US!!!

The real test will be to see who actually comes out to vote!! This may be the biggest turnout of voters that Farmers Branch has ever had!!

If you live in Farmers Branch, PLEASE VOTE ON MAY 12TH!!

TexasGal

AWESOME!!! Way to stand your ground! Keep up the good work!!! Spread the word and keep people pumped up for the vote. They'll turn out!!! We know LULAC will, too.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Here's the link to Ordinance 2952, that the city council will consider
    at Tuesday night's meeting. The meeting will begin at 6:30pm.

http://www.ci.farmers-branch.tx.us/City ... ession.pdf

Highlights of the proposed ordinance include:

-Anyone wishing to lease a house or apartment in Farmers Branch must
    apply for a residential occupancy license from the the ciy and provide
    information about legal U.S. residency.

-Landlords would not be responsible for verifying the legal residency
    status of potential renters; that responsibility would lie entirely
    with the federal government

-The proposed license fee would be $5 for each adult occupant, and
    would be valid as long as the occupant remains at that residence

-Anyone violating any provisions would face a daily municipal fine of
    up to $500.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345