Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idaho (2009)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

My Letter to McKenzie:

Dear Senator Curt McKenzie:

Bill: S1155 A bill that would suspend licenses for businesses that knowingly employ illegal immigrants and makes E-Verify mandatory for all business, will not go forward. This bill, written and introduced by Senator Jorgenson, took the first step in the process in the State Affairs Committee where it passed unanimously on Monday. However, you saw fit to throw this bill in the drawer and say that this bill will go nowhere.

It's obvious from your actions on this that you care very little for the Idaho worker. You, in your all powerful position, think you can speak for all the legal citizens of this state. You apparrently care not whether Idaho families survive this economic crisis or not, as long as big businesses continue to line their pockets. By letting lobbyists pull you around by the nose, you are in essence representing the illegal workers' interests in this state, instead of the legal citizens who elected you into office.

This bill has been delayed long enough, and the unemployed in this state can't wait any longer to put food on their tables and provide for their families. I am sick and tired of the excuses we hear from our state government, like immigration issues are the federal government's job. Well, it is YOUR job to see that our federal laws are respected here and that Idaho is put back to work so they can once again contribute to the growth of this economy.

You need to allow Senator Jorgenson's bill to move forward and give the Idaho people a voice on this, or I'm sure you'll hear them loud and clear at the next election. You make the choice.

My letter to the rest of the Senators, all 34 of them.

Dear Senator

Bill: S1155 A bill that would suspend licenses for businesses that knowingly employ illegal immigrants and makes E-Verify mandatory for all business, will not go forward. This bill, written and introduced by Senator Jorgenson, took the first step in the process in the State Affairs Committee where it passed unanimously on Monday. However, Chairman of the State affairs Committee, Sen. Curt McKenzie has thrown the bill in his desk drawer and stated this bill is not going anywhere.

Is this what it has come to here in Idaho, where one man can block legislation that would ensure that jobs go to legal citizens, instead of being held by the thousands of illegal aliens who are currently employed in this state? I am fed up with this government being run by special interest groups and big business, instead of by the legislators we elected into office. More and more Idaho people are becoming aware that these big businesses hire illegal aliens instead of the Idaho worker, and they are furious, especially while the unemployment numbers continue to rise.

We need Senator Jorgenson’s bill, and we need it this year, not sometime in the future. I am tired of hearing that immigration is the Federal government’s job. It is YOUR job to see that the Idaho people are working and contributing to our state’s economy. It’s also your job to see that the federal laws are respected in this state. If you care about the future of the Idaho workers and their families, you’ll encourage Chairman Curt McKenzie to allow bill S1155 to be heard so that the Idaho people can be put back to work.

Here's some responses that I have gotten back:

I would like to see SB1155 get a hearing. I have not reviewed it well
    enough to know how I would vote, but the issue needs explored further.
    Thank you for your input.
    Senator Heinrich

I had lunch with Mike Jorgenson today and he feels somewhat optimistic that the bill will get a hearing. I wonder, with the makeup of that committee, whether it will get out of committee if it is heard but certainly that would be a step in the right direction.
    John Goedde
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So, we need to put more pressure on these guys.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Emails sent and calls made!

Thanks, April. You're a true patriot.

Response from Senator Smyser:

Hello,

Thank you for your input. There are legal ways for illegal immigrants to become citizens and we need to follow that. We do need to figure out a straightforward way that people can come in with a work Visas and then go home. The illegal immigrants are draining our county funds on medical costs.

Have you talked to Senator Mckenzie?

Melinda S. Smyser

Response from McKenzie....Finally, although I don't like it much

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for writing me regarding the e-verify bill.

I agree that illegal immigration is a huge problem for our nation and our state. Since I have held public office, I have supported policies to limit illegal immigration. I voted for SJM111 in 2005, requesting the federal government to review and improve its immigration policies and controls. In 2007, I voted for SB 1172, making English our official state language. I have opposed amnesty programs that reward people for coming here illegally.

I am not "playing games" with this bill or with this important issue. As chairman of the Senate State Affairs Committee, I scheduled SB1155 bill for a print hearing, and I voted to print the bill. I did not schedule a subsequent hearing on SB1155 due to opposition by agriculture and business organizations. I have not been personally lobbied on this issue by those organizations but I know that entire segments of our economy opposed the bill as currently written. I don't know if e-verify is the best solution or the only solution, but I do know that others are working on anti-illegal employment bills that do not rely on the federal e-verify system. I have asked those with concerns over the bill to offer their input to the sponsor of the bill, Senator Mike Jorgenson. I informed Senator Jorgenson that I will schedule this bill at the very beginning of the next session. My preference would be to achieve consensus with legitimate businesses that make a good faith effort to hire legal employees. However, if that is not possible, the issue will be back and I will schedule the bill on my agenda. I am confident that we will pass a good bill with teeth.

I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Senator Curt McKenzie

Guess i will have to answer this reply I don't think much of
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

My Response to Senator McKenzies Reply....

Mt response to Sen. McKenzies reply....

Dear Senator McKenzie,

thank you for the reply, now that I know where you stand I hope you won't mind if I copy your reply and hand it out as a flyer at the up coming tea parties we are planning around the state, I'm sure people will be happy to know that your priorities are to insure that businesses remain able to get their cheap illegal alien labor at the cost of the Idaho taxpayer. Seems to me that our politicians have forgotten who votes them into office, I assure you it is not agriculture and business organizations.
    I know the reason they do not want E-verify, it works! It is used in several states and is 95.5% effective, and the 9th circuit court just handed down a decision that it is legal to pull business license's from those businesses who do not use E-verify and get caught employing illegal aliens (Re:AZ. State). Sen. Jorgensons bill should have been brought up for debate and a vote, in not doing so you are denying "We the people" of Idaho the democratic process that we want this year, not next.

But thank you for letting me know just where you stand and who you stand for....very enlightening.

Best Regards
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Chairman says he wants illegal immigration debate next year

POSTED: 13:58 MDT Friday, April 3, 2009

by Simon Shifrin

The chairman of a Senate committee who rebuffed a proposal this year that would have cracked down on employers who hire illegal immigrants agreed to print a similar measure today and said he wants to hold a comprehensive debate on the subject next year.

Sen. Curt McKenzie, R-Nampa and chairman of the Senate State Affairs Committee, allowed Rep. Phil Hart, R-Athol, to introduce a bill almost identical to the one he killed earlier. McKenzie declined to schedule a hearing on that previous bill, which would have required employers to use the federal computer system known as E-Verify to check workers’ legal status or else face penalties for hiring illegal immigrants. He said the bill’s backers had failed to find any middle ground with opponents like the Idaho Farm Bureau Federation.

McKenzie said he hoped that printing Hart’s bill would prompt further discussion on the issue after the legislative session ends. He said he wants to hear other proposals and hold a more comprehensive debate next session.

“My intent would be to hear all of these (bills) and let them go through the process,

Canyon lawmakers sponsor illegal immigration crackdown
    Mike Butts
    mbutts@idahopress.com
    Updated 3 hours 22 minutes ago

FIRST AT IDAHOPRESS.COM

BOISE — Canyon County's four state senators have introduced legislation meant to crack down on illegal immigration.

Senate Bill 1271 would make it illegal to produce false identification when applying for employment and also for employers to knowingly hire employees that produce false documents at the time of employment.

Senators Patti Anne Lodge (R-Huston), Curt McKenzie (R-Nampa), John McGee (R-Caldwell) and Melinda Smyser (R-Parma) are cosponsors of the legislation.

"The costs of illegal immigration to the state of Idaho are staggering," McGee said in a press release.

Lodge, chairman of the Senate Health and Welfare Committee, added, "The taxpayers of Canyon County and Idaho are suffering through these tough economic times and even with reduced funds, Idaho's Constitution mandates a balanced budget. All options to reduce the costs to the taxpayers caused by illegal immigration must be found."

Said McKenzie: "I made a commitment last session to make immigration a priority in my committee. It is especially important in these tough economic times."

The bill has been referred to the Senate State Affairs Committee, where McKenzie is chairman.
    http://www.idahopress.com/?id=29553
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-186757.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12