Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    NEW YORK

I'm reaching the end on New York. Here, I'm going to post the remaining incumbents in the House. I've not gotten definitive responses from them despite multiple written inquiries and calling. Many times, I reached only voicemail, or staffers who I spoke with could not answer my questions, would take my name and tell me that another person would call me back, but then never did. I will continue to see if I can get more specific info, but for now, I'm posting what I have so far as time is running short. Will post more later on these candidates if I get anything else.

THE FOLLOWING ARE INCUMBENTS WHO MAY BE ENDORSABLE BASED ON THEIR RECORDS.

I've provided as much info as I could find, and I've listed them in rank order with the best records first:
    __________________________________________________ ___________

House 19 - Representative Sue W. Kelly (R)
    Grade: C+/B+

Immigration Voting record

Date Bill Title Vote
    09/21/2006 Immigration Law Enforcement Act of 2006 Y
    09/14/2006 Secure Fence Act of 2006 Y
    12/16/2005 Border Security bill Y
    02/10/2005 Real ID Act of 2005 Y
    05/18/2004 Undocumented Alien Emergency Medical Assistance Y
    09/24/1998 Nonimmigrant Specialty Workers bill Y
    09/29/1997 Continuing Appropriations Y
    09/25/1996 Immigration Reform bill Y
    03/21/1996 Immigration Reform bill Y
    03/20/1996 Immigrant Public Assistance Amendment N
    03/20/1996 Denying Public Education to Illegal Immigrants Amend. Y
    03/20/1996 Immigrant English Proficiency Amendment Y
    __________________________________________________ __________

House 23 - Representative John M. McHugh (R)
    Called campaign and DC numbers but no answer/voicemail

Co-sponsored 4437

Date Bill Title Vote
    05/18/2004 Undocumented Alien Emergency Medical Assistance N
    09/24/1998 Nonimmigrant Specialty Workers bill Y
    09/29/1997 Continuing Appropriations Y
    09/25/1996 Immigration Reform bill Y
    03/21/1996 Immigration Reform bill Y
    03/20/1996 Immigrant Public Assistance Amendment N
    03/20/1996 Denying Public Education to Illegal Immigrants Amend. Y
    03/20/1996 Immigrant English Proficiency Amendment Y

House 29 - Representative John R. 'Randy' Kuhl (R)
    Grade: B/B
    Member, House Immigration Reform Caucus

Date Bill Title Vote

House 20 - Representative John Sweeney (R) - sounds pretty good, but not sure

Grade: B/C+

Called campaign, no answer

E-mailed for 3rd time-
    Finally, unhelpful response from a campaign director-

The best place to get information on the Congressman's position on this is at his web site. Here's the link to the immigration issue:

http://www.sweeneyforcongress2006.com/I ... sueID=1427

Hope this helps. I don't know anything more on this issue than what's on the website. Thanks!
    Steve Bulger

Web site statement-

Immigration

This nation is engaged in a great debate about security on our borders – about what to do about illegal immigration. First and foremost -- we must secure the borders -- now, tomorrow, and always. If the National Guard is a stop-gap measure to providing long-term security, Congressman Sweeney is for it, because we shouldn’t waste another day leaving our borders lingering as “free crossing zones”. Only after we have secured our borders, can we begin to build the public confidence necessary to ensure that we can get the job done. That starts by building a consensus on how to implement the remainder of a plan that protects the sanctity of citizenship and guarantees that the process required to earn it means something.

Citizenship is a sacred right – it must be earned to signify that it truly means something – it must stand for agreed upon principles. John Sweeney is opposed to amnesty in any form and believe secure borders are critical to support the rule of law and if needed we can refine the rule of law so that we can finally reestablish and all agree upon what the sanctity of citizenship means. These issues are not esoteric, and affect us all – for example, closer to home, Congressman Sweeney opposes creation of a second border checkpoint proposed that is 100 miles within our state on I-87. It has been touted as a backup for the border. Yet my position is that the actual border must be our first line of defense and any available resources should be directed there.

Immigration Voting record-
    Date Bill Title Vote

__________________________________________________ __________

THE FOLLOWING INCUMBENTS ARE DOUBTFUL & DO NOT HAVE AS GOOD RECORDS (though they are better than most in NY!)

House 26 - Representative Thomas M. Reynolds (R)
    Called, campaign phone # not working

Grade: C+/B-
    Did not vote at all on the House bill in Sept

Immigration
    Date Bill Title Vote
    09/21/2006 Immigration Law Enforcement Act of 2006 NV

__________________________________________________ ____________

House 27 - Representative Brian M. Higgins (D)
    Grade: C/C
    Voted against the fence

Immigration
    Date Bill Title Vote
    09/14/2006 Secure Fence Act of 2006 N
    02/10/2005 Real ID Act of 2005 N

House 2 Representative Steve Israel (D)
    webmail not working

Grade C-
    Voted against 4437

Immigration voting record
    Date Bill Title Vote
    12/16/2005 Border Security bill N
    02/10/2005 Real ID Act of 2005 N

JAK
    NEW MEXICO

US House 3
    Ronald M. Dolin (R)

Thanks for thanking the time to write.
    I have an extensive position paper on this matter on my website blog at
    www.dolin4congress.com

The short answer is that people who are in our country illegally should go
    home. I have several ideas on how this can be done easily and without much
    cost to taxpayers.

Thanks,
    ron

( Website )

http://blog.dolin4congress.com/?q=node/31
    IN CONGRESS, RON DOLIN WILL WORK FOR

Implementing the recommendations of the 911 Commission.
    Having illegal aliens pay income, social security & medicare taxes.
    Enforcing existing immigration laws.
    Giving all law enforcement agencies authority to enforce immigration law.
    Allowing state and local judges to impose sentences on illegal aliens who commit crimes in our communities.
    Greater control and security along our borders.
    More interior enforcement of immigration laws.
    Revising visa and immigration policies.
    Eliminating incentives for aliens to enter illegally, specifically,
    No citizenship for children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens
    Tax all money electronically wired outside the U.S. at 25%. Any over taxation can be worked out when tax documents are filed with the IRS.
    Aggressively prosecute employers who fail to pay employee taxes for tax evasion.
    Impose a substantial mandatory penalty on employers who hire illegal aliens.
    Phase out bi-lingual education.

NEW MEXICO BORDER SECURITY AND ILLEGAL ALIEN FACTS

One in ten illegal aliens apprehended on the border has an arrest record.
    New Mexico National Guard troops have been on full time assignment to the Deming, NM border patrol station since 1984.
    There were fifty-eight thousand apprehensions along the 54 miles of the Deming sector of NM’s international border in 2005.
    1500 OTMs (Other Than Mexicans) were apprehended this year as of June – up 63%
    Drug seizures are down 14% thus far in 2006 (probably due to the President’s National Guard deployment).
    Alien smuggling is down 34% in 2006 (probably due to the National Guard deployment).
    There were 96 illegal alien rescues and 15 deaths in the Deming sector last year. The death rate is up 50% from the previous year.
    Twenty-five years ago, the average hourly pay in meatpacking plant was $19/hour -- and now its $9/hour. This is an industry that heavily utilizes illegal alien labor.
    Construction wages for entry level skills in New Mexico are down 25% in the last 15 years.

Your Governor, your U.S. Representative, and the SF mayor provide sanctuary for illegal aliens!
    The number of unauthorized workers arrested fell from 2,849 in fiscal year 1999 to 445 in 2003. It is not from lack of illegal aliens, it is from lack of trying.

U.S. BORDER SECURITY AND ILLEGAL ALIEN FACTS

Average cost per illegal alien child in K-12 is $7,161/yr and exceeds $7.9 billion annually. These costs are predominately borne by state and local governments.
    Employers who employ illegal aliens don’t pay their share of social security and medicare taxes, which means that hard working, taxpaying Americans have to make up the difference.
    Mexico receives $15 billion annually from its workers, mostly through electronic money transfers.
    One-third to one-half illegal aliens work off the books, which means they don’t pay income or social security taxes.
    Taxpayers spend $68 billion/year to pay for the resettlement of legal immigrants.
    Illegal aliens displace American workers at a cost of $133 billion/year.
    The lifetime net fiscal drain— services used minus taxes paid —for an adult illegal alien is $55,200.
    75% of drugs in the US arrive from Mexico at a net cost of $120 billion in hard currency leaving our country.
    Your tax dollars pay $80 billion per year for the War on Drugs. It is a war that hasn’t been won in the past 30 years and drugs are as available today to your teenager as they were in 1970.
    30% of all criminals in US jails are illegal aliens. These are people convicted of the most heinous crimes. For lesser crimes they are simply deported.
    You pay $1.6 billion annually in prison costs to house, feed and clothe alien criminals who gets caught for serious crimes such as rape, murder or drug distribution.
    10% of Mexico now lives in the U.S.
    Over $56B/yr of untaxed money is wired home annually by illegal aliens.
    Las Vegas, NM is dealing with a serious Cuban gang problem.
    Average cost of bilingual education is $1,200 per student. With 1.1 million illegal alien children, the cost is $1.32 billion/year.
    Transnational gangs, such as the MS-13 and 18th Street gangs are now operating along the NM border. They are prolific smugglers with ties to Al Qaeda.
    Only 22 companies in 2003 were taken to court for hiring illegal aliens. No one went to jail. However, it’s a $10,000.00 fine per illegal alien hired and up to five years in prison. This is the wink-and-a-nod manner in which congress tells business it is okay to hire illegal aliens and to violate our laws.
    Illegal aliens are arriving at over 4,000/night, or 3 million/yr, which equals 12 million in the next four years.
    Illegal aliens get in-state tuition at our colleges while foreign students on visa pay out-of state tuition. New Mexicans who want to attend college in another state must also pay out-of-state tuition, which means they pay four to five times as much for their education as illegal aliens are required to pay.
    Illegal aliens who present themselves to NM universities as such are eligible for lottery and scholarship money.
    Over 300 million people want to come to the US. Some estimates show half of them will come if we allow amnesty.
    Some estimate that as many as 20 million illegal aliens now live in the U.S.
    In 2003, according to the Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles, 57,600 cars were stolen in Phoenix. At a conservative average of $15,000.00 per vehicle, owner losses exceeded $864 million.
    Arizona is the temporary home of 500,000 illegal aliens. They cost Arizona taxpayers over $1 billion annually in services for schools, medical care, welfare anchor babies, loss of tax base and prisons.
    As Arizona aggressively works to secure their border and confront their illegal alien crisis, the border incursion flow is shifting to New Mexico – especially since we offer sanctuary.
    You pay over $109 billion annually for anchor babies. This includes the over 300,000 new babies that need food, housing, medical and schooling plus the costs of their mothers.
    The average head of household illegal alien costs you $2,700.00 in welfare money over and above any taxes he or she pays in their meager paying jobs. With 15 to 20 million illegal aliens in the USA, that figures exceeds $20 billion of your tax dollars.
    You paid $27 billion to provide forms, ballots, interpreters and brochures for languages other than English in 2003.
    It costs $200 million to provide for emergency health care for illegal aliens in the Border States annually. You pay for this through state taxes.
    One in two adult African-Americans in New York is unemployed. African-American children’s poverty grew by 50 percent since 1999. Why? Their dads can’t find work.
    America was $7.384 trillion in debt as of November 1, 2004. This year’s budget deficit exceeds $413 billion. Our trade deficit stands at $400 billion. Our consumer debt exceeds $2 trillion and our average credit card carries an $8,000.00 balance.
    The U.S. government borrows $1.6 billion daily from foreign banks, just to stay afloat.
    The GAO noted the number of full-time immigration officials devoted to worksite enforcement fell from 240 in 1999 to 90 in 2003.
    Fines for failing to check an employee's documents can be as low as $110, less than a New York City parking ticket.

ADDED: 10/30/2006

US House 2
    Albert D. Kissling (D) (IMO) STAY....OPEN BORDERS!!!!!

I thank you for the question. If a person is engaged in a production life, i.e. have a job & are supporting themselves and family I think we should work out a reasonable and humane way for them to move on the path toward citizenship. If we had a working visa program so that temp workers could go back and forth without unreasonable delays or hassles, I think over half of the undocumented would return to their homes and countries of origin.

Al Kissling

ADDED: 10/30/2006

US House 1
    Patricia A. Madrid (D)

Thank you for your email. We appreciate hearing from voters about issues that matter to them.

The Attorney General believes that we need to fully fund border security to make sure that our nation is safe. However, she also believes that we need an earned path to citizenship for the estimated 11 million undocumented workers who are already here. That path must include penalties for coming in to the country illegally, requirements for holding a job and paying income taxes. If a person meets those requirements they could then get a place at the end of the line of people applying for U.S. citizenship.

Thank you again for your interest in Patricia Madrid for Congress.

Sincerely,
    Heather Brewer

Heather Brewer

Communications Director

Madrid for Congress

505-242-6000 (office)
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    duplicate....

computer problems
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    duplicate...was having computer problems????

Banned
    NEW YORK

HOUSE 21 - Thomas Raleigh (D) STAY

web site statement-

Immigration.
    I am the son of Irish immigrants. As a first-generation American, I have a unique perspective on this issue. I support a comprehensive solution to problems related to illegal immigration. I believe we need to get control of our borders as a matter of national security, but would not support measures that would lead to the deportation of tens of millions of illegal aliens. It is in our strategic interest to encourage and facilitate economic development in Mexico, and shift manufacturing jobs from China to Mexico.

Got a campaign flyer in the mail today from Mark Kirk, IL for congress. He's running against Dan Seals. The only topic of the flyer was amnesty, the border, how illegal immigration affects school, hospitals, our environment. Kirk is saying amnesty is not the right choice -and to ask Dan Seals why he thinks amnesty for illegal aliens will solve the immigration problem.

How about that!!! Not only is this the first flyer I've received with this mentioned, it is THE only subject for the flyer.

Banned
    NEW YORK

Additional info-

House 20 - Representative John E. Sweeney (R)
    Grade: B/C+

Talked to DC office staff this AM. He told me Rep. Sweeney is against amnesty in ANY form. He does not favor a path to citizenship or having illegals who are here stay on in a guest worker program (a la Pence), as this would be considered amnesty.

House 19 - Representative Sue W. Kelly (R)

Spoke to DC staffer who could not tell me definitively whether she would favor allowing those already here to stay in a guest worker type capacity. Left a message for the staff person who knows more about policies.

In the mean time, found this on her campaign web site-

Immigration

We are a nation of immigrants and we have thrived as a nation and a culture because we have been willing to allow a steady stream of immigrants into the United States. But, we must have laws which control it, and strong borders that allow us to enforce it, in order to protect the security of the American people and afford those newly arrived time to assimilate into American society.

Last year the Congress was told by intelligence agencies that Al Qaeda considers our Mexican border a favored point of entry because of lax controls.

Our porous borders are a threat to our national security. I share the frustration of many that the House and Senate cannot seem to agree on a solution. We must secure the borders and find a permanent solution to the problem of illegal immigration.

While I oppose automatic citizenship for those who entered our country illegally, I do believe that America should continue offering a way of entry and citizenship to those around the world who wish to live the American dream, are willing to abide the laws of the United States and who enter the country by legal means.

Ultimately I believe immigration reform should include the following provisions:

• The use of innovative technologies such as biometrics, drones and satellite surveillance to stop the flood of illegal immigrants into the United States from both the north and south border.

• Temporary ‘guest worker’ permits -- applied for in workers’ home countries -- allowing registration and background checks on workers before they enter the United States, with controls on employment and length of stay, including penalties for breaking the law.

• The end of “birthright citizenship laws,” which rewards illegal aliens for breaking the law by automatically granting lawful citizen status to any children born in the United States.

• Curtailing the practice of ‘release and return,’ by which illegal aliens arrested for petty crimes and misdemeanors are returned to the street instead of deported to their native country.

• Allowing local police to assist in the enforcement of immigration laws.
    __________________________________________________ ______

House 26- Representative Reynolds (R)

Called DC office, left message for policy person to call me back.

JAK
    North Carolina

Robin Hayes:

Thank you for contacting me regarding illegal immigration. I truly appreciate your thoughts on this important matter.

Since coming to Congress, I have felt that preserving American jobs and strengthening national security are the two most vital issues for our nation, and the 8th District of North Carolina. The nexis between immigration, jobs, and national security is clearer than ever in our post 9/11 environment. I would oppose any legislative proposal that could potentially jeopardize either our national or economic security.

I understand that people want to come to this country to provide a better future for their families. However, I strongly believe those immigrants who do come here should arrive through legal channels and should contribute -- rather than be a burden -- to our society. We must also ensure that we protect American jobs and our citizens' right to a decent wage. I believe it is wrong to reward illegal immigrants and undertake a de facto amnesty that could jeopardize our nation's economic and national security.

Illegal immigration should not be tolerated or rewarded, and we should do all we can to protect against unlawful entry into our country and fraudulent use of our taxpayer-funded government programs. We are a nation of immigrants, but we are also a nation of laws. Although not a member of the House Judiciary Committee which has jurisdiction over this issue, as a member of the Immigration Reform Caucus, I will remain vigilant should the 109th Congress consider any legislation affecting our immigration policies.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns with me. It is an honor to serve as your United States Representative, and I look forward to tackling the issues 8th District constituents sent me here to address. Please know that I have assembled what I believe is the most responsive and courteous staff in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever we may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to call.

Sincerely,
    Robin Hayes
    Member of Congress

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910