Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Berfie, I live in the Pacific NW and grew up in apple country (and berry picking too). My own father's family were farmers, apple, wheat, etc...

He grew up working as farm hand for family and other farmers all of his life till he joined the Navy at 16 for the Korean War. My uncle (also had been in the Navy) was a bachelor, and had become a migrant worker throughout the NW the rest of his adult life.

I too grew up rural and my siblings and I spent out summers working in the berry fields locally for school clothes and vacation spending money. We all know how hard this kind of work can be, and are aware of the physical sacrifice it takes to be out in the sun most of the day.

I think it is commendable your father chose hard work over an easy corrupted life. Most Americans are aware of how hard field work is, and yes, some would be totally unwilling to do it, but not all.

I can understand being at odds with a parent about either political or social beliefs, but do stand up for what is right for this country, future American generations are depending on it.

We too feel this attempted merger of the three countries is wrong and want it stopped. We want to keep America sovereign. I feel personally that NAFTA and CAFTA have been disastrous to Americans and also to many Mexicans/Central Americans.

Americans have lost thousands of jobs, and those south of us are not benefitting, only their elite are.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AmericanElizabeth Wrote:
    Americans have lost thousands of jobs, and those south of us are not benefitting, only their elite are.
    You can say that again!

I too grew up rural and my siblings and I spent out summers working in the berry fields locally for school clothes and vacation spending money. We all know how hard this kind of work can be, and are aware of the physical sacrifice it takes to be out in the sun most of the day.
    I was born and raised on a Dairy Farm in Michigan.
    Hard work was a way of life then. I don`t remember ever looking back and thinking how hard I had it.
    I will say that, later we were able to use Milking machines and sold our milk to Kraft. That made things alittle easier but 90% of our crops, (field and domestic garden) was done by hand.
    No hired hands, just the family.
    This was in the 50`s and 60`s. Most families in that neck of the woods were still self-employed.
    ------------------------

My favorite times in those berry fields were with one particular farmer, cannot remember his last name, older Japanese American man and his wife, he would let us have berry throwing fights with the rotten berries, but he'd yell out, "hey, only rotten ones, not good berries". They used to bring us cold ice water and sometimes lemonade with cookies on our breaks, and then send us on our way with some fresh from the garden produce (they had this huge garden and his wife would always tell us they'd never use it all).

Hated picking blackberries, all the thorns, marionberries were ok, as they lacked the thorns, were big and easy to grab fast. Raspberries, alright, but you had to be careful they smash easy, plus, they have these sliver like "thorns" and you could hardly see them to get them out.

But strawberries were our favorite, although it was backbreaking work crouched over the row all morning, also, Oregon strawberries are the best in the nation, sorry California, ours are 100 times sweeter, they do not need sugar at all.

Mk, I had people I knew who had small dairy farms. I used to like to try to seperate the cream, I was terrible at it (most of the people where I grew up by Mt. Hood who did this were post hippy "naturalists"). Bet you ate a LOT of homemade ice cream too?

No, truthfully, these were good times, weren't they Mk? I wish our laws would permit kids to do the work they used to in order to help local farmers, and also get some good work ethics in the process, as well, it would be one less reason for supporters of illegal aliens to say we needed them here.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AmericanElizabeth wrote:
    But strawberries were our favorite, although it was backbreaking work crouched over the row all morning, also, Oregon strawberries are the best in the nation, sorry California, ours are 100 times sweeter, they do not need sugar at all.
    I have to agree with you there. Strawberries in Ca, turn dark before the have any noticable sweetness. Probably because they don`t get enough rain, which you get plenty of.
    Now, blackberries,rasberries, I remember having raw fingers and swolen hands at the end of the day. I never could and still can`t work with gloves on.
    Bet you ate a LOT of homemade ice cream too?
    Now there`s a taste that will never be forgotten and could never be compared with.

Mk, I had people I knew who had small dairy farms. I used to like to try to seperate the cream,
    We just let the cream sttle to the top and skim it off.
    For the milk sold to Kraft, we used a "hand operated" seperator. It worked like a meat grinder and it had around 15 strainers and filters in it.

The farm was`nt real big, we had 180 acres with 20 milking cows.
    In fact, we did`nt even have a name, we had a number. F28
    ------------------------

Probably because they don`t get enough rain, which you get plenty of.
    You can bet your behind on that one! It rains here from about September 30th till about early June, that's our winters. Where we live, at the end of the Columbia River Gorge (right above Troutdale, Oregon), is a natural "wind tunnel" and with our rain we get biting east wind most of that time too.

But when June comes, in only two short weeks the strawberries are available, it is worth going out to u-pick as much as you can. As well, by late June, eraly July, up in the high Cascades, the wild strawberries come out, and you have to be fast to beat the deer to them, but they are unbelievable.

I can still pick the blackberries bare handed, you have to have tough hands here as Himalayan blackberries grow wild all over western Oregon and it is basically a weed and we pull them out from every crevice possible (like English ivy is in other places), and I also can walk barefooted out in the woods too, which makes my husband come unglued, he has city feet, grew up in Chicago (calloused feet from a childhood of roaming the woods barefooted and walking through rocky creeks and rivers).

As for the cream thing, the mother of one friend used this ladle thing, and she could skim it right off, but I always dipped too deep. Never had cows ourselves, so I never had the constant practise she did.

I would like to taste fresh, farm butter on homemade bisquits again. Last time I had that was probably 50 years ago and it was so good I still remember it.

As for George Lopez, his act was done at the Dodge Theater in Las Vegas. I reported him to the CDC and DHS as promoting terrorism by advocating contamination of our food. I also complained to the Dodge Theater and HBO. Only HBO replied and they said they "don't censor" the people they have on their specials. Maybe if enough of us complain to CDC, DHS, Dodge Theater, HBO they might rethink about censoring this idiot. Amazing that a Latino can stand on stage and advocate racial terrorism but they'll fire Imus in a heartbeat.
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Faye, I'd bet they'd be sensoring someone on their making racist white centered jokes, don't we all know it would be so. It is a double standard that we have been forced into, and we need to fight hard to make it stop.

The rules need to apply to everyone.

Hi AmericanElizabeth

I was thinking the same thing Faye. I also wrote to HBO to complain and I wrote a comment on the George lopez site.

I'll have to send one to the Dodge Theatre too. More letter and complaints to show our disgust.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

To me, this isn't even racial.... e.coli is no joke. It kills; i.e. this man is advocating for a segment of our society to do something that could possibly kill people. What Imus did was insulting, but it wasn't going to kill the girls. Several people have already died of the recent e.coli outbreaks. We just don't have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton out there yelling about it.

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

TANCREDO 2008!
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Lopez the useless scum

Lopez is a useless nasty ungrateful bastard.....come to think of it, he is the perfect representative for his people.

Handing out legal papers without there being a long hard road to get here , breeds unloyal legal immigrants....just like that drunk Geogie Lopez
    Deport Now - Get your useless invading rearend out of my country!