Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A few further thoughts on the subject of trading liberty for security.

It seems to me that whether a person dies by accident or by design is really pretty irrelevant. Does the person who died in an accident lie any less coldly in the grave than the one who was murdered? Is death a more pleasant experience for those who died by accident?

When some form of accident is a serious threat to human lives, and we are CAPABLE of preventing that death, is there any moral difference in our doing nothing and allowing people to continue dying, versus deaths that occur because someone intends for the deaths to happen? Or more simply put... if I can save a hundred lives by simply pushing a button, and choose not to do so, am I any different from a person who CHOOSES to murder a hundred people? I see no real moral difference.

Automobile accidents killed about 41,000 people last year in the U.S., far more than terrorists did. If we are capable of preventing these accidental deaths, then we are as morally responsible to do so as we would be if someone were TRYING to kill 41,000 people. Are we willing to trade libeties we take for granted.. such as owning and operating automobiles... in order to prevent these deaths? You are not even willing to give up your automobiles in order to save 41,000 lives a year, but a couple thousand die on 9/11 and your willing to give up your liberty? Is your automobile worth more to you than your liberty?

It amazes and saddens me that American courage has fallen to the point that a couple thousand die these days and we are willing to give up our liberty... when just 60 years ago, hundreds of thousands gave up their lives rather than lose those liberties. Thank God our forefathers were not the cowards so many Americans are today. God help us...

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

Below is the letter I wrote to Cherie Berry, head of the North Carolina Department of Labor. William asked me to post in this thread!

To: <cherie.berry@nclabor.com>
    Subject: Labor Department support for Illegals
    Date: Saturday, July 09, 2005 1:26 PM

I was absolutely stunned and sickened to hear the report about your employee, Mr. Allen McNeely, CRITICIZING ICE for arresting 49 illegal immigrants at Seymour Johnston AFB. He, and the North Carolina Department of Labor should be PRAISING ICE from ridding our state of these lawbreakers. What is WRONG with this picture? I am appalled that Mr. McNeely stated that "this "tactic" of ICE
    will hurt the trust he has built with the illegal immigrant workers around the state". What in the WORLD is he doing building TRUST with ILLEGAL WORKERS? I am paying his salary--and YOURS, by the way--and I demand that you stop spending my tax dollars helping criminals break the laws of our country and our state.

I observed that arrest on television and all I can say is that, if anyone could watch that and not be FURIOUS, there is something wrong with them. Every one of those illegals were LAUGHING about the arrest.

I call on you to investigate the actions of your employees and fire the ones who are breaking the law by encouraging ILLEGALS to come to our state and take our jobs.

Sincerely,
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I agree with you, Butterbean. I don't think we are being asked to give up our BASIC liberties but, if having an unconterfeitable ID card for American citizens is what it takes to prevent acts of terrorism, I have nothing to hide and would certainly submit to that. There are a couple of items in the Patriot Act about which I have problems such as searches without search warrants and accessing what books people check out at the library WITHOUT probably cause but we are going to have to be willing to give up a few things if we are serious about defeating terrorists.

I am worried enough about it that I am willing to give up a few minor "freedoms" to protect our country from these people who are bent on destroying our nation. This is not your normal, run-of-the-mill type enemy. These people have declared a holy war against us and it will continue to escalate. What they are doing to us and what they will continue to do to us IS NO ACCIDENT. You just can't compare apples and oranges.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

When one is dead.. does it really matter if ya died by accident or by design? Are ya less tasty to the worms when you died by accident? I doubt it.

As I stated earlier.. Thank God our founders, and our grandfathers from just 60 year ago, thought liberty was more important than life. If they had not.. America would not even exist.

BTW.. 60 years ago.. those men could have traded liberty for security... they could have lived for perhaps a little longer than they did, by simply rolling over and allowing te Nazis to take over the world. Unfortunately, security, bought at the cost of liberty, is a false security. You simply FEEL more secure, when in fact, your peril is even greater. The soldiers of WWII did not die by accident.. it was inflicted upon them intentionally by an enemy just as assuredly a people die at the hands of a bomber today. But they chose to risk beign murdered by the enemy... rather than keep life at the price of liberty. Any today who are so craven they would sell out those dearly bought freedoms, because you find life so dear, diminshes what the dead of WWII and our other wars died for. Those who would trade liberty for security are traitors to the very memory of those who died to preserve those liberties. As for myself, like my grandfather, I am more than willing to die to secure liberty for my grandchildren.. Not sell my grandchildren into slavery so that I might squeeze a few more years out of life.

Those hundreds of thousands who died did not do so for what they considered to be "minor" liberties. All of our liberties were purchased at the cost of blood, and like our founders I consider none of them "minor".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456