Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

‘Silly’ quota system makes U.S. citizens’ kin endure unnecessarily long waits for vis

‘Silly’ quota system makes U.S. citizens’ kin endure unnecessarily long waits for visas
    More than 4.5 million relatives of U.S. citizens wait for 'family preference' visas; only 226,000 are available each year

by
    Wednesday, December 21 2011, 6:00 AM

The Statue of Liberty stands tall in New York Harbor, a beacon to immigrants worldwide.

The U.S. Department of State reports that more than 4.5 million relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents are waiting for immigrant visas in the four family preference categories. Only 226,000 are available each year. That’s why many family preference applicants have to wait so long to get permanent residence. The brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens can range from 12 to 24 years. In the employment-based preferences, those in the queue number more than 4.6 million. The wait for needed workers can be up to nine years.

If you ask me - and many people do - the quota system is silly. It makes no sense to make family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents wait so long for a visa. The family-preference immigrants are coming to join close relatives after all. And, those relatives have had to provide proof that the new immigrant won’t need public assistance to survive in the United States. The employment-based applicants are mainly skilled workers, exceptionally talented individuals, and investors of at least $500,000. Let’s eliminate the quota and begin reuniting families and bringing needed workers and investors to the United States.

Q. My husband abandoned me after I had filed a green card petition for him and filed an affidavit of support for him. Since I signed the affidavit, can he force me to support him financially? I married a Cuban national this past summer. After two months, he abandoned me and is seeking permanent status on his own alleging, under the Violence Against Women Act, that I abused him. That’s not true.

Damasa Gonzalez, New York

A. Your husband cannot force you to support him. Nor can any government agency force you to pay any bills he incurs. If he does not get permanent residence based on your petition, no one can enforce the affidavit of support you filed for him.

It is a bit odd that your husband doesn’t just apply for permanent residence under the Cuban Adjustment Act. That law allows any Cuban admitted or paroled into the United States to automatically qualify for permanent residence after one year here. Perhaps I don’t have all the facts. In any event, that’s no longer your problem.

Q. I am a conditional permanent resident, but I had to have my husband removed from our home. Can I nevertheless get my permanent green card? I am married to a U.S. citizen. The first year into our marriage my husband changed and started abusing me, first verbally then physically. I got a court to order him removed from our home. There’s a warrant out for his arrest for not appearing in court and a judge granted me a temporary order of protection. I have only a two-year conditional green card and I am supposed to apply to remove the condition in March. Since my husband won’t be signing the petition to remove the condition from my residence, I’m concerned.

A. You can get your permanent card (valid for ten years and renewable) based on your being a battered spouse. That’s one of three bases for a conditional permanent resident to self-petition to remove the condition. Many free services are available to immigrant victims of domestic violence. Call 311, the New York City information hotline, for help.

You received a two-year conditional permanent resident card only because you became a permanent resident within two years of your marriage. The three reasons you can use to remove the condition without your husband's signature, are that 1) you entered the marriage in good faith and the marriage was bona fide or “real” and it was terminated by divorce or annulment, or 2) you are the victim of spousal abuse or your child has suffered abuse from your spouse or, 3) that leaving the United States would result in your suffering extreme hardship. Based on your letter, the easiest path to the permanent card for you is probably by proving that you are the victim of spousal abuse. The abuse may be mental or physical. In your case, the court records should be sufficient for you to win your cases. Where a spouse is alleging mental abuse, the self-petitioner usually requires an evaluation from a mental health professional.

Readers should note that where the self-petition is based on a good faith marriage only, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will want to see a divorce or annulment decree before approving the petition. If your divorce or annulment is not final when the time comes to file form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence, the self-petitioner should nevertheless file the form. The USCIS will give you 87 days for a judge to issue an order terminating the marriage. If you can’t get the judgement in time, the USCIS will refer your case to an immigration judge. The judge should give you more time to get a divorce or annulment decree.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1hBNZMoQv
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard View Post
    The U.S. Department of State reports that more than 4.5 million relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents are waiting for immigrant visas in the four family preference categories. Only 226,000 are available each year. That’s why many family preference applicants have to wait so long to get permanent residence. The brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens can range from 12 to 24 years. In the employment-based preferences, those in the queue number more than 4.6 million. The wait for needed workers can be up to nine years.

If you ask me - and many people do - the quota system is silly. It makes no sense to make family members of U.S. citizens and permanent residents wait so long for a visa. The family-preference immigrants are coming to join close relatives after all. And, those relatives have had to provide proof that the new immigrant won’t need public assistance to survive in the United States. The employment-based applicants are mainly skilled workers, exceptionally talented individuals, and investors of at least $500,000. Let’s eliminate the quota and begin reuniting families and bringing needed workers and investors to the United States.
    NEEDED WORKERS? What the heck does THAT mean?

Oh yeah, just let them ALL in--no worries about AMERICAN CITIZENS who might need a job. We just have such an UNLIMITED amount of space and resources in the US--we can house the whole world!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I agree. With millions of Americans out of a job how is it that we need additional foreign workers?

Let’s eliminate the quota and begin reuniting families and bringing needed workers and investors to the United States.
    Every time I see this my blood pressure goes up, what quota, there appears to be nothing stopping the millions per year coming in, "needed workers" in what world do you live,we outsourcing jobs now and build manufacturing plants around the world any where but the USA. Heard Mayor Bloomberg (idiot) say immigration brings investors and hires American citizens sorry I don't see that what we have in the southwest those who do open a business hire people like themselves illegals or card holders from there country: Yes sir we have immigration investors and I call it Cartel.

What we need is a moratorium on all immigration for 5 years, rebuild our manufacturing base by taxing those who produce in china with Tax breaks for those who remain here. Unless we begin all this the middle class quality of life is gone and don't be fooled by either political party neither care other then for their own stock portfolio.
    Last edited by oldguy; 12-21-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Angry 100,000 Refugees a month From ONLY UNGRATEFUL Muslim Countries????

Quote Originally Posted by Oldglory1 View Post
    I agree. With millions of Americans out of a job how is it that we need additional foreign workers?
    I can't even believe that we are STUPID enough to CONTINUE accepting more trouble here?????
    Stop importing people that cause America problems and are not happy to be saved from their hell.
    If we HAVE to bring people in please bring in people that DESERVE to be saved.
    People that CONTRIBUTE to our country instead of SUCKING it dry or raping our systems.
    Maine's DHHS looks like Somalia!~!!!!
    I for one am sick of helping ungrateful countries ungrateful people while our country goes down.
    STOP THE MADNESS! Grow a spine people and demand change.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    Every time I see this my blood pressure goes up, what quota, there appears to be nothing stopping the millions per year coming in, "needed workers" in what world do you live,we outsourcing jobs now and build manufacturing plants around the world any where but the USA. Heard Mayor Bloomberg (idiot) say immigration brings investors and hires American citizens sorry I don't see that what we have in the southwest those who do open a business hire people like themselves illegals or card holders from there country: Yes sir we have immigration investors and I call it Cartel.

What we need is a moratorium on all immigration for 5 years, rebuild our manufacturing base by taxing those who produce in china with Tax breaks for those who remain here. Unless we begin all this the middle class quality of life is gone and don't be fooled by either political party neither care other then for their own stock portfolio.
    I do so agree with you. Outsourcing, illegal immigration and too much legal immigration is killing American jobs. We need to do exactly what you have proposed along with securing our borders and removing all incentives for illegal aliens to remain in our country.