Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

1 Dead 4 Injured at Seattle Jewish Center

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 dead after shots fired in downtown Seattle
    Four reportedly injured at Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle
    BREAKING NEWS
    NBC News and news services

Updated: 8:18 p.m. ET July 28, 2006
    SEATTLE - One person was killed and four people were wounded by gunshots Friday afternoon at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle, local NBC affiliate KING-TV reported. One person was arrested, police said.

A SWAT team was searching the building, looking for any other victims, anyone hiding or any other possible shooters, police spokesman Rich Pruitt said.

The extent of the injuries was not immediately known.

One person was reportedly shot in the abdomen and another in the arm, KING reported, saying they were being taken to Harborview Medical Center.

Police blocked off several city blocks to investigate. It was not known if suspects were at large, but policemen were seen handcuffing someone, KING reported.

Patti Simon was at work at the federation's newspaper on the first floor when she heard screaming, shots and what sounded like furniture crashing on the floor above.

‘We didn't know what was happening’
    "We heard this horrible screaming on the floor above us and shots," said Simon, 52, who sells advertising at the paper. "We didn't know what was happening."

Simon called up to her co-workers on the second floor, but got no answer, so she called the police and fled the building.

"People got shot, some of our co-workers," Simon said, her voice shaking. "I just got back from Israel and made it out of there a half hour before the rockets started."

Simon said the federation has security in the building.

"Somebody must have lied their way in," Simon said.

NBC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14082298/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2006 MSNBC.com

I had a bad feeling that would happen. They are going to bring it to the US.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

I had a bad feeling that would happen. They are going to bring it to the US
    Ya....I have nightmares about stuff like this. People are wound pretty tight and I don't think it would take much to see our own country in chaos.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

no kidding and we have a lot of jewish people living here and also have a lot of arabs living here as well.
    END OF AN ERA 1/20/2009

Another sick mind. Lets keep these victims of terrorism in our prayers.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I just got back from Israel and made it out of there a half hour before the rockets started."
    That pretty well sums it up. People are not safe anywhere. With tensions building on every front in peoples lives I don't think it will be long before our country is engulfed in sporatic outbreaks of violence nationwide. It is a miracle that it has not occured before.
    "Liberty CANNOT be preserved without general knowledge among people" John Adams (August 1765)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I had a bad feeling that would happen. They are going to bring it to the US
    Ya....I have nightmares about stuff like this. People are wound pretty tight and I don't think it would take much to see our own country in chaos.
    They won't bring it to Texas if they know what's good for them. When terrorists struck New York, military enlistment in Texas skyrocketed, and most Texans barely consider themselves to be part of the same country as New York. As a point of comparison, for the last year I could get good records, Texans represented 10.1% of all recruits of the three major military branches while having only 8.0% of the US population aged 18-24, while New Yorkers represented a scant 4.7% with NY having 6.1% of all US adults 18-24. Can you imagine how many Texans would be chomping at the bit to unload a clip at terrorists if any part of Texas was actually hit by terrorism?

Anymore, Feeling safe depends on where you were, and where you end up.
    In other words: If you don`t feel safe in one place, you can`t expect it to change, so it`s up to you to move somewhere that you will feel safe.
    I know it`s a "%#@!~!", but life don`t always turn out the way we would like or the way promised by the higher ups.
    ------------------------

[b]At least one killed during shooting at Seattle Jewish federation
    One person in custody[/b

http://www.seattlepi.com

]By PHUONG CAT LE, BRAD WONG, JOHN IWASAKI AND AMY ROLPH
    P-I REPORTERs

Six people were shot - one fatally - this afternoon at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle by a man who told a witness he was upset about "what was going on in Israel."
    Police spokesman Rich Pruitt said there was one shooter, who was apprehended without incident outside the Jewish Federation building located on the corner of Third Avenue and Virginia Street.
    "We believe it's a lone individual acting out his antagonism," said David Gomez, who heads the FBI's counterterrorism efforts in Seattle.
    Authorities did not release any details about the alleged gunman and would not discuss possible motives.
    "There's nothing to indicate that it's terrorism related," Gomez said. "But we're monitoring the entire situation."
    Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick confirmed one person had died.
    Harborview spokeswoman Pamela Steele said five victims were taken to her facility, all women ranging in age from 20s to 40s. Each suffered gunshot wounds to the abdomen, knee, groin or arm. Three were in critical condition and still in the operating room. Two are in satisfactory condition.
    One of the women in satisfactory condition is 20 weeks pregnant and was shot in the arm. Doctors believe she will be OK.
    Authorities received a 911 call at 4:03 p.m. with reports of shots fired at the Jewish Federation and a possible hostage situation, Assistant Seattle Police Chief Nick Metz said at an early evening news conference.

Officers converged on the scene and took a man into custody without incident. At one point, the alleged gunman had been talking to a police dispatcher, Metz said.
    There were more than 10 people in the Jewish Federation building at the time, Metz said.

One witness, who declined to give her name, said a man walked into the Jewish Federation building with a gun, said he was upset about what was going on in Israel, then opened fire. After the shootings, the man said to call 911, the witness said. The witness said the man identified himself as an American Muslim.
    Fighting has raged in the Middle East since Hezbollah, a Shiite group based in Lebanon, went into Israel and kidnapped two Israeli soldiers and killed eight others. Israel retaliated by striking targets in Lebanon and has sent troops into the southern part of the country. Since the conflict began, more than 400 have been killed in Lebanon and more than 50 soldiers and civilians have been killed in Israel.
    Witnesses to the afternoon shooting and people who work at the Jewish Federation described a chaotic, terrifying scene.
    Kami Knatt works at the federation's Holocaust center. As he exited the building, she saw a wounded coworker fall down. Knatt took her sweater off and tried to stop the bleeding.
    "I asked her 'are you OK'. She said no I've been shot. 'I kept saying it's going to be OK."
    The victim told Knatt: "I'm going to black out, I'm going to black out." Knatt replied: "You're going to be alright."
    Several workers and victims ran toward a nearby Starbucks. There was a small pool of blood outside the coffee shop.
    Nathaniel Mullins, 43, was turning onto Lenora Street with his 19-year-old daughter when he heard police say "get back! get back!"
    Mullins said he saw two shooting victims. "They were covered in blood," he said.
    "We were scared, heck yeah. It shocked me for a moment."
    Zach Carstensen, who is the director of government relations for the Jewish Federation, said he heard shots and screams.
    "People started running and I started running with them," Carstensen said.
    Asked whether he thought his office had been targeted because of the conflict in the Mideast, Carstensen said he wasn't sure. "We're all a little shaken, he said.
    Sam Peterson, 18, who lives in an apartment on Third and Blanchard, said she was walking to the Lenora Apartment Building and cutting through the corner of Sigs Barbershop when she heard at least one gunshot.
    She saw a blonde woman "drop to the ground. She screamed."
    Immediately after the shooting, a SWAT team searched the federation building, looking for any other victims, anyone hiding or any other possible shooters, Pruitt said.
    Police blocked off several city blocks to investigate.
    The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle was established 1926. According to its Web site, its mission is to "ensure Jewish survival and to enhance the quality of Jewish life locally, in Israel and worldwide."
    Rabbi Daniel Weiner at Temple De Hirsch Sinai in Seattle, said his congregation was planning to meet in Bellevue this evening anyway, but were waiting for police to advise them on whether to go ahead with the services.
    The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle is a fund raising and fund allocation organization.
    "It is the Jewish version of the United Way," Weiner said. He said he is at a loss to understand why people in that building would be attacked.
    "To delve into the mind of a clearly troubled and disturbed person is impossible," Weiner said. "It is heartbreaking to think of what is transpiring."
    Iantha Sidell, past board chairman of the federation, went to Harborview after the shooting.
    "This is just a disaster," she said. "We value every life. I don't know what we're going to do about it. We believe in life."

BREAKING NEWS:
    One dead, at least five injured in shooting at Jewish Federation in Seattle
    06:37 PM PDT on Friday, July 28, 2006

http://www.king5.com

KING5.com and Wire Reports
    SEATTLE – One person has been killed and at least five others have been injured in a shooting at the Jewish Federation at 2031 Third Ave. in downtown Seattle. One suspect has been taken into custody.
    Police took one person into custody and said he surrendered peacefully. Seattle police spokesman Rich Pruitt said police are confident that only one shooter was involved.
    Sources told KING 5 the suspect is a 31-year-old Pakistani man with a criminal background. He is from the Pasco but his citizenship status or how long he has lived in the United States is unknown. Also unknown is what sort of criminal record he has. Officials are on the way to the Pasco to interview his family.
    FBI spokesman David Gomez said officials believe the suspect acted alone and is not affiliated with a foreign organization.
    According to the Seattle Times, a man got through security at the Jewish Federation and told staff members, "I'm a Muslim American; I'm angry at Israel," then began shooting, according to Amy Wasser-Simpson, the vice president for planning and community services for the Jewish Federation.
    A Harborview Medical Center spokesperson said five women were brought in, and three of them are in critical condition. They have not yet been identified. Their ages are 23, 27, 29, 19 and 43. The 43-year-old woman was reportedly shot in the abdomen. Two vicitms were in satisfactory condition: a woman, who's 17 weeks pregnant whowas shot in the arm and another victim with a knee injury.
    A joint terrorism task force joined SWAT teams and a bomb disposal unit at the scene. The suspect's vehicle, a pick-up truck was in a nearby garage in the Bed, Bath and Beyond building, at 1930 Third Ave. Police cordoned off part of the garage before they determined there were no explosives.
    Police said they didn't know if all the people who were wounded were inside the building. They also don’t know how the suspect got into the building, which is said to be one of the tightest security buildings in Seattle. There were about 10 people inside at the time.
    "Throughout the city, we have directed all our patrol officers to monitor closely all synagogues and other Jewish organizations, and we have also advised neighboring agencies in the Puget Sound area to do the same," said Nick Metz, Seattle Police Department.
    The incident began around 4 p.m. Police received a 911 call of shots fired, with a possible hostage situation. Part of Third Avenue and Second Avenue near Lenora and Stewart were closed to traffic.
    Several witnesses said they saw a man walk up to the entrance of the building and shoot a woman in the leg. The man then walked into the building and made it up to the roof.
    Witnesses said they heard one shot while the man was on the roof. The man then went back inside and witnesses said they heard several more shots.
    One wounded victim was initially unable to get to an ambulance because the situation was apparently too dangerous.
    Patti Simon was at work at the federation's newspaper on the first floor when she heard screaming, shots and what sounded like furniture crashing on the floor above.
    "We heard this horrible screaming on the floor above us and shots," said Simon, 52, who sells advertising at the paper. "We didn't know what was happening."
    Simon called up to her co-workers on the second floor, but got no answer, so she called the police and fled the building.
    "People got shot, some of our co-workers," Simon said, her voice shaking. "I just got back from Israel and made it out of there a half hour before the rockets started."
    Simon said the federation has security in the building.
    "Somebody must have lied there way in," Simon said.
    It's not yet known if the incident is politically motivated. The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle says on its Web site that its mission is to "ensure Jewish survival and enhance the quality of Jewish life locally, in Israel and worldwide."
    This past Sunday at Luther Burbank Park on Mercer Island, thousands of people rallied in support of Israel's right to defend itself. More than 40 community organizations stepped forward to sponsor and support the event.
    Iantha Sidell, past chairperson of the Jewish Federation Center, said: "We believe in life and it's hard to believe there will ever be peace when you're dealing with people who don't value life."

Usual scum bag terrorist to afraid to attack the strong they like going for the weak, children and pregnant women. They are all cowards if there be a hell that is where you will find them after death, no virgins in heaven for such lowly cowards. This almost sounds like a challenge doesn't it. Your mama wore spike sandals coward

Having lived in Israel for two years I understand were they are coming from and support them 100 percent .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast