Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Yes, it is really too bad that so many Americans have such a negative picture of all Latin Americans because the lowest eschlon of Mexican society is coming here. I can't imagine all Mexicans live the way these people live. The way they live is just revolting and I don't want it in my neighborhood.

As for the race factor, there are a lot of whites in countries like Brazil, Uraguay, Chile and Argentina and most people here don't know that. They think all Latin Americans are like the Mexican Indians/Mestizos that are flooding here. But I have to wonder if a lot of you are putting white down as your race when by racial classifications here you wouldn't be classified white, but Hispanic. If an indigineous or mestizo person is putting "Caucasian" down on his form, that would have to be a wrong classification according to our system here.

That's not actually true, Yankee. Under the US census, it is correct for Hispanic people to list themselves as white, because the census distinguishes between being black (a race) and being Hispanic (an "ethnicity"). I'm not sure I buy the distinction, but that's how they do it, which is why you'll see in the press and in the literature distinctions between Hispanic and "non-Hispanic white".

Quote Originally Posted by LegalImmigrant
    That's not actually true, Yankee. Under the US census, it is correct for Hispanic people to list themselves as white, because the census distinguishes between being black (a race) and being Hispanic (an "ethnicity"). I'm not sure I buy the distinction, but that's how they do it, which is why you'll see in the press and in the literature distinctions between Hispanic and "non-Hispanic white".
    So the Hispanic population in reality could be higher then the 13% it currently is?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123