Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Re: 3 at Yale Accused of Burning U.S. Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    3 at Yale Accused of Burning U.S. Flag

Email this Story

Apr 4, 9:01 AM (ET)

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - Three Yale University students, one a U.S. citizen born in Pakistan, were arrested on charges of setting fire to an American flag hanging outside a home.

Said Hyder Akbar, 23, Nikolaos Angelopoulos, 19, and Farhad Anklesaria, also 19, were arrested early Tuesday on charges ranging from reckless endangerment to arson, police said.

Akbar, a senior, was born in Pakistan but is a U.S. citizen, police said. He worked as an informal translator for U.S. forces during the invasion of Afghanistan and later published a memoir, "Come Back to Afghanistan," based on his experiences, the Yale Daily News reported Wednesday.

Angelopoulos, who is Greek, and Anklesaria, who is British, are both freshmen. They had to surrender their passports.

Bail was set at $25,000 for Angelopoulos and Akbar, and $15,000 for Anklesaria. They were jailed Tuesday night; police did not immediately respond to calls on their status Wednesday morning.

Authorities said the three students had waved over two police officers in the area early Tuesday to ask for directions.

A short time later, the officers returned to the neighborhood to see if the students had found their way home and spotted the burning flag. One officer pulled down the burning flag and the other tracked down the three men, authorities said.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070404/D9Q3RO1.html

I was mislead by the subject statement. I stand behind my position from another similar case: throw the book at them so long as it does not offend the First Amendment. According to the article, they were not arrested for burning the flag, but arson and endangerment which does not offend freedom of expression.

I don't remember any person ever being arrested for burning our AMERICAN FLAG. That would be against the LAW.

Although, considering that we are now cherry picking which laws are to be enforced, I no longer care which ass gets arrested for desecrating MY FLAG and what charges that are used for said arrest. It is apparent that only American citizens are losing their FREEDOMS including FREE speech rights while others are FREE to run wild, murder, rape, drug run.

I do, however, remember an American being arrested for burning a mex flag in Virginia, I believe. And it wasn't on a home or building. I believe it was on a sidewalk.

Hmmm, why was he arrested again? Disorderly conduct perhaps?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It is an insult. I emailed the article to Rep Keith Ellison, and asked him why Muslims want to come to America, but hate it so much that they burn our flag. I wonder if he will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    It is an insult. I emailed the article to Rep Keith Ellison, and asked him why Muslims want to come to America, but hate it so much that they burn our flag. I wonder if he will respond.
    You ROCK firecracker!!

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As long as it is still not a criminal offense to burn the flag, we will have to live with this kind of bullshine. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but since the law was changed back in the late 80's or early 90's, we have to stomach this kind of c**p.

I remember the late 70's when there were marches against America at the colleges, and those who burned the flag were arrested by the authorities, but after crying foul enough times, I think it was the wonderful ACLU who stepped in and said it was an infringement against the perpetraitor's Right to freedom of speech.

This is one desicion that really needs recinding.

It just goes to show you that money doesn't buy you brains, or respect. I wonder how these students would have felt if the person's home was also burnt to the ground. It is bad enough that our flag was burnt, but losing innocent lives would have been infuriating too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
    As long as it is still not a criminal offense to burn the flag, we will have to live with this kind of bullshine. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but since the law was changed back in the late 80's or early 90's, we have to stomach this kind of c**p.

I remember the late 70's when there were marches against America at the colleges, and those who burned the flag were arrested by the authorities, but after crying foul enough times, I think it was the wonderful ACLU who stepped in and said it was an infringement against the perpetraitor's Right to freedom of speech.

This is one desicion that really needs recinding.
    I couldn't agree more Hylander!

It is an insult. I emailed the article to Rep Keith Ellison, and asked him why Muslims want to come to America, but hate it so much that they burn our flag. I wonder if he will respond. [/quote
    ]

Good question firecracker ask him why Hispanic/Latino people do the same from Mexico and so. America???

And if there passports were taken does that mean they are going to get sent home??
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    It is an insult. I emailed the article to Rep Keith Ellison, and asked him why Muslims want to come to America, but hate it so much that they burn our flag. I wonder if he will respond. [/quote
    ]

Good question firecracker ask him why Hispanic/Latino people do the same from Mexico and so. America???

And if there passports were taken does that mean they are going to get sent home??
    I wanted to ask Rep Ellison this question, because he was the one that was sworn in by the Koran instead of the Bible.
    There are alot of reps that should answer the question on why Hispanic/Latino people come here for a better life, yet hate America and it's people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12