Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Alabama Voices: Alabama's new immigrant law needed

Alabama Voices: Alabama's new immigrant law needed
    5:38 PM, Aug. 6, 2011

By Daniel Mattle

As the father of Tad Mattle, killed along with his girlfriend in a horrific accident in Huntsville two years ago caused by the illegal immigrant Felix Ortega, I experienced first-hand results of unrestricted illegal immigration.

The driver was not just seeking a better life in the United States. He was a repeat offender with at least four DUIs, was wanted in at least four other states for both misdemeanors and felonies, had five different aliases, and was supposed to have been deported in 2001.

Because I support Alabama's HB 56 to enforce laws against illegal immigration, I have been accused of not being Christian. I can no longer maintain silence.

Where in Jesus Christ's teachings did he advocate flagrant violation of a nation's laws? How is violating immigration laws and flaunting it in front of those who followed the legal process Christ-like? The willingness of HB 56's detractors to overlook unfettered illegal immigration is just the sort of mindset that allows hardened criminals into our country.

I ask how Christian is it to allow evil men into our country to rob, maim and/or kill innocent, law-abiding citizens just to demonstrate your pious compassion? Where's the compassion for innocent victims?

Is it true Christianity to allow a felon into this country to kill two innocent children who were lawfully stopped at a traffic light? Is it truly compassionate to have my wife and I awakened at 12:30 a.m. by the police to inform us that our son is dead, just so we can allow illegal immigrants into the United States?

Where's the compassion for the police officer who tried to stop the driver after he ran through a stop sign in front of his patrol car? And while I am asking, "Where's the compassion?," I invite you to ask other victims, such as Officer Daniel Golden's widow and two children, if they are grateful for the compassion that allowed Benito Albarran into this country to murder her husband. There are thousands more victims, but they seem to be mere statistics.

I also ask where our society has not been compassionate to illegal immigrants? So far, they have received free medical care, food stamps, free education and the government has overlooked their violations of our laws. The convicted criminals get comfortable prisons and three meals a day. That's a lot better deal than my son's grave in Maple Hill Cemetery. For two deaths convictions, Felix Ortega will serve only 15 years. In Mexico, he would have been shot by the police on the scene.

Although untrue, some ministers are worried that HB56 will make them a criminal by performing their church duties such as administering the Sacrament to illegals or preaching to them.

If you knowingly harbor illegal immigrants to prevent them from being detained or deported, you would be criminally liable, just as someone who knowingly harbors a wanted felon. If, however, you act as a good Samaritan and help someone in need by feeding them, clothing them or teaching them the Gospel, you need not fear the law. There are not going to be jack-booted thugs busting down doors.

As a volunteer EMS provider, I know I will not be prosecuted for helping an injured illegal immigrant. Our code, the law, and my Christian duty is to provide help without regard to race, religion, criminal status, or citizenship status.

Contrary to the detractor's belief, HB56 is designed protect innocent Alabamians from having to experience what my family has gone through. A society has every right to determine who is allowed to be in that society. Judges and juries do that daily. Illegal immigrants have already demonstrated a willingness to disregard our laws and often ignore many other laws.

As for my Christianity, I have served throughout my adult life, and continue to serve, as a lay leader in my church's congregation in various capacities. My tithes and offerings support local and international charitable needs, including those in Latin American countries. I am a member of two local volunteer rescue squads, sacrificing many hours in training and rescues. I have donated many hours leading a Scout troop and training adult Scout leaders.

Never have I encouraged anyone to break the law in those activities. I am in the process of forgiving the driver as my Savior commands, but the status of my forgiveness is irrelevant to the fact that our government, and those in opposition to HB56, have allowed, even encouraged, criminals to freely enter our nation.

If anyone wants to make the sacrifices to come here legally, I welcome them with open arms regardless of where they come from. But encouraging unrestricted illegal immigration, and the inevitable influx of criminals, however, is not the correct answer.

Daniel Mattle writes from Huntsville. This guest column is in response to an earlier guest column by the mother of the teenage girl who also was killed in the same collision in which this writer's son was killed. To read her column, which opposes Alabama's new immigration law, go to montgomeryadvertiser.com and click on Opinion.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/art ... |Opinion|s
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

WOW!!!

If I had tons of money I would take out ad space in EVERY Liberal rag in the Country and run this article. So much heartfelt eloquence! I have it in mind to print that up, have it laminated and present it to people who do argue on that level!

Banned
    Amazing!! What a great article. Thanks Daniel Mattle.

Thanks for posting Ratbstard.

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    WOW!!!

If I had tons of money I would take out ad space in EVERY Liberal rag in the Country and run this article. So much heartfelt eloquence! I have it in mind to print that up, have it laminated and present it to people who do argue on that level!
    Just e mailed this to Todd Young. He is the Congressman for IN., claims to be against Illegal Immigration, but Numbers USA gave him a C+ because he seems to avoid voting on immigration most of the time. He's a family man, maybe I can pull at his heart strings a little bit.

Move to NEW Section for "Americans Killed by Illegals."