Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arlen Spector switching to Dem party

I just heard on FOX new? Spector is going to run for his next term for Senator as a Democrat.....Did anyone else hear this????

I think they just said he is switching partys now...gives Dems 59 seats
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

04/28/09
    Washington Post

Hill Transition
    Specter To Switch Parties
    By Chris Cillizza

Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter will switch his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat and announced today that he will run in 2010 as a Democrat, according to a statement he released this morning.

Specter's decision would give Democrats a 60 seat filibuster proof majority in the Senate assuming Democrat Al Franken is eventually sworn in as the next Senator from Minnesota. (Former Sen. Norm Coleman is appealing Franken's victory in the state Supreme Court.)

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," said Specter in a statement. "I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election."

He added: "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans."

Specter as a Democrat would also fundamentally alter the 2010 calculus in Pennsylvania as he was expected to face a difficult primary challenge next year from former Rep. Pat Toomey. The only announced Democrat in the race is former National Constitution Center head Joe Torsella although several other candidates are looking at the race.

The precariousness of Specter's political position -- a Republican in a Democratic-leaning state -- was on display earlier this year when he was one of three GOP Senators to back President Barack Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus plan. That vote was strongly condemned by conservative Republicans and Toomey used that vote as the launching pad for his candidacy.

Because of the shrinking Republican vote in the state, Specter was seen as a dead man walking politically in the primary with polling showing him trailing Toomey by ten or more points. The bar for Specter to run as an independent was also extremely high due to the rules governing such a third party candidacy.

That left a Democratic candidacy as Specter's best option if he wanted to remain in the Senate beyond 2010.

By Chris Cillizza | April 28, 2009; 11:51 AM ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix ... rties.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Specter represents much is what is wrong with our political system. His ego and love of power does appear to be his prime motivation in life.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Duplicate
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

since 1980
    ummm senator the founding father never intended you to make your lifes work staying in DC, stay elected or anything like that

Good grief, this self-important *ss needs to get off television. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and may he be wiped out in the Democratic primary by some wily upstart.

UB

His Statement should have read: " I have now realized that there is no way I can win the Republican primary in Pennsylvania, therefor, to save my *ss in the Senate I am switching to the Democrat Party. I figure they will take anyone in to win a seat. If it turns out that next election I might lose the Democrat primary I will switch back to the Republican Party or turn Independent like Lieberman. Thank you"

Arlen
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

MW
    This is already being discussed in the "Other Topics" forum.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-154498.html

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn