Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AZ D-backs and baseball boycott...

Hundreds of teenage ballplayers arrive every year in the United States trying to make a better life. They come from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela and Mexico and elsewhere, all to play the most American of games. Most grew up in poverty. Few know English. The game welcomes them anyway.

In less than two months, the Arizona Rookie League begins its season. Nearly 140 young players born and raised in Spanish-speaking countries will congregate in Phoenix and its suburbs for their first taste of professional baseball. They may do so as the nation’s most controversial law – the one that says some people who look like them are most certainly not welcome – goes into effect in late July.

Baseball’s entanglement in Arizona’s new immigration measure, Senate Bill 1070, goes well beyond the small swath of protesters demanding Major League Baseball pull the 2011 All-Star Game out of Phoenix and boycott Arizona Diamondbacks games. More than 1,000 players, and hundreds more executives, coaches, trainers and business staff, spend about eight weeks of spring training in the Phoenix area. Latin Americans represent 25-plus percent of major league players, and the percentage in the minor leagues is even higher. The sweeping reform, which critics say invites racial profiling, is almost certain to hit baseball if the federal government doesn’t intervene.

Royals DH Jose Guillen worries about rookies being targeted.

Take, for example, this scenario: An 18-year-old from Venezuela playing in the rookie league jumps in a friend’s car to head to the grocery store. The friend rolls through a stop sign. A police officer witnesses the infraction. The law, signed last week by Gov. Jan Brewer, requires that “where reasonable suspicion exists … a reasonable attempt shall be made … to determine the immigration status of the person.â€

MW
    [quote]“Why would you bring your passport and visa with you?â€

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Is there someone here that can explain to me how these players came here before? Did they get airplane tickets and cross the boarder with no ID or visa? I just don't get it...

Everything talked about is "what if" scenarios. What if I forget my papers or how can I carry my passport all the time? (You can get a wallet ID size passport now...)

I have traveled extensively. Many times the hotels keep your passport until you pay your bill and you for sure do not embark or debark aircraft without multiple ID checks. Who are these anti Bill people trying to kid? Sure ain't me!!!

Also...anyone knows to make lots of copies of all your paper work and of your passport and put them everywhere in your luggage, wallet, purse or in your back pocket. It really helps if there is a problem.

It's like all these anti Bill people have never had to obey the ID laws of every country on earth. How is it that everyone seems to think that America is the only country that requires "NO" ID or visas?

This whole thing is getting really stupid and ridiculous.

I am a legal "natural born citizen" of the USA. But if I get stopped or questioned and have no ID on me...guess what...I get detained too! Especially if a crime has been committed and I fit the profile. I get to hang around the cop house in hand cuffs till they or I can prove who I am.

All this "scenario could happen crap" to circumvent and vilify SB 1070 law is ridiculous. Just like the illegals...these ballers think they are above the law that everyone else has to obey...

I am so sorry that you have to carry your ID...!!!! NOT!!!

They may do so as the nation’s most controversial law – the one that says some people who look like them are most certainly not welcome
    This is the most assanine biggoted racist and out right lie that anyone could write. How do they get away with this...?

the ball players have special visas called entertainment visas. if i remember right

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    the ball players have special visas called entertainment visas. if i remember right
    P visa...It was in the link above... I posted the rest of it...

Quote:
    "Hundreds of TEENAGE ballplayers arrive every year in the United States trying to make a better life. They come from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela and Mexico and elsewhere, all to play the most American of games. Most grew up in poverty. Few know English. The game welcomes them anyway."

Don't U.S. Child Labor Laws apply to MLB?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Any body get their free shirt?!?!?