Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Back Door Legalization

I don't know if this story of woe belongs here or in the news section, but what strikes me is that it is more of food for thought.

Immigration woes hold back top students
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13531295.htm

When Fabiola Guevara graduated from South Dade Senior High School in June, 11 years after her mother fled with her from Mexico, her grade-point average was almost a perfect 4.0.
    Her dream was to enroll in a state university nursing program, but she didn't even apply. Guevara couldn't afford higher education.
    Like thousands of other illegal immigrant students, Guevara was ineligible for college financial aid. And it would cost triple what legal Florida residents pay, impossible on her mother's housekeeper wages, to attend a public university because undocumented students don't qualify for in-state tuition discounts.
    I am not a person without compassion, but heck, most every illegal immigrant has a sob story.

It is not the fault of those of us who want to secure our borders, but instead of those who allowed this situation to happen in the first place.

But lawmakers in Congress have proposed legislation to help students like Guevara. The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, more commonly known as the DREAM Act, would allow undocumented students who arrived before they turned 16 and have lived here at least five years to become temporary legal residents, making them eligible for college aid and other benefits.
    That may sound compassionate, but because it ignores the common sense that this person has no business being here in the first place. This is not to mention she is taking resourses away from legal residents.

AMBITIONS BLOCKED
    Across the country, an estimated 65,000 to 90,000 high school seniors who graduate each year -- including some 4,000 from Florida -- face the same dilemma as Guevara.
    I am not a heartless person, but this situation exists ONLY because our Federal government does not enforce our laws.

Now why is it their country of origin has absolutely no intrest in educating these bright students, and make thier country a better place?

Good Question TimBinh!!! While I know their "Country" of origin would love for them to get that education at our expense, then have them return...that isn't going to happen either. Maybe their "country" of origin should reevaluate their standing in the world? (Sorry, I am just frustrated with this entire issue of illegals).