Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Bed Bugs Become A National Problem

Imagine that... I wonder where they are coming from Pint-sized pests, some tinier than an apple seed, are causing bedbug breakouts across the country.
    Joel Brown has the story.

Wayne White studies insects and how to kill them. At his pest control firm in Maryland, the business of bedbugs is way up.
    Wayne White, American Pest Control, says "We go out to units and homes where there are hundreds and sometimes thousands of bedbugs."

Ten years ago, only about a quarter of the nation's exterminators reported ever encountering a bed bug. This year it's ninety five percent.
    Bedbugs want to be where ever the people are: homes, hotels, airplanes. Human blood is all they feed on.

In Manhattan, this Times Square movie theater was forced to shut down this week: bedbugs to blame.
    Even the city's most iconic building's not immune. In the Empire State Building, bed bugs were found in an employee changing room in the basement.

Bedbugs do leave behind their own kind of calling card. Check your suitcase or mattress for red and brown dots. It's the first sign of infestation.
    No one's certain what's fueling the resurgence. Some experts suggest it's the rise in international travel.

Bedbugs were all but eradicated in the U.S for fifty years. The pesticide DDT helped wipe them out. The chemical's since been banned in the U-S. But some scientists say it may not be as effective now against the ever-evolving bed bug.

Wayne White says "But if we had DDT now, we probably would have some DDT resistant bedbugs to try to deal with."

More of a nuisance, they’re not a known health risk. But the tiny bugs are proving to be a big headache to get rid of.

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/Be ... px?rss=153

Banned

Already a third world country ?

Do you think that we are already an official THIRD WORLD COUNTRY

We were traveling this last weekend, i'll tell ya...reading these articles gave me the creepies when we checked into our hotel !

Quote Originally Posted by cavmom
    We were traveling this last weekend, i'll tell ya...reading these articles gave me the creepies when we checked into our hotel !
    This is why I look at TripAdvisor.com before selecting a hotel. I was swayed away from a particular Vegas hotel because of a bed bug problem. Never had this problem before.....too bad the news story wouldn't talk about the elephant in the room.
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

Banned
    Just add it to the list of other things that we had cleaned up in this country
    until the invasion of illegals

More to come folks , lots more

Oklahoma is known for it's lg, assortment of bugs, but bed bugs aren't one of them........not yet anyway.
    I found a scorpion in my bathtub yesterday....
    ------------------------

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Oklahoma is known for it's lg, assortment of bugs, but bed bugs aren't one of them........not yet anyway.
    I've lived in Nevada for 30 years and only seen 1 scorpion

Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    I've lived in Nevada for 30 years and only seen 1 scorpion
    That's like living 36 years in SoCal (desert) and I've never seen a rattle snake............until I got to OK.

this was my 2nd(scorpion) in 3 years. I almost picked it up because I thaught it was a wad of hair. Then I noticed the curved tail.

The 1st one I found climbing the side of my bed.
    ------------------------

North Carolina has already had reports on bed bugs in the news and it is a problem. That is the first thing that went through my mind as well. Where are they coming from?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    North Carolina has already had reports on bed bugs in the news and it is a problem. That is the first thing that went through my mind as well. Where are they coming from?
    They are coming from the same place that gave us Chagas disease, Morgelluns, Leprosy, Tuberculosis and all the other diseases that we HAD under control.
    Don't think about all the things you fear, just be glad you're here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast