Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherJohn
    TAC: Would the Libertarian Party have trouble with your views on immigration?

Bob Barr: Some members might have trouble with my views on some other issues - drugs, the marriage issue, even though on both of those issues, I hold a strong federalism position, which is to me very consistent with Libertarian philosophy.

On the issue of immigration, my focus is consistent with the platform, and that is securing the border. I am not talking about physical securing. I don't favor a fence. If there is economic opportunity, people should be free to come into this country and participate in the market...

TAC: Does that mean you favor a guestworker program?

Bob Barr: Yes. I think people ought to be able to come in and compete for jobs as long as they submit to an immigration procedure that ensures they do not pose a security or health risk. Internally, let the market dictate if there is a place for folks.

It is important to start removing the government-program incentives that bring people here. The market ought to be the incentive, not welfare programs.
    Absolutely horrible......But he is right. His views are right in lockstep with the LP. I think the incentive should be to become an American. Period. This "Market God" that supposedly drives everything under the sun for libertarians has no place for dictating our immigration policy.

"Let the market decide" is a common libertarian, WSJ, Chamber of Commerce, globalist statement.

This is a nation, not a marketplace.

Let the laws of our sovereign republic decide.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by BearFlagRepublic

"Let the market decide" is a common libertarian, WSJ, Chamber of Commerce, globalist statement.

Right, LP are globalist and only against NAFA, CAFTA because of goverment control. They want Liberties for the corportations to do as they please.

I don't understand???

I don't understand? I thought the issue on this forum was illegal immigration, border jumping. I didn't realize you wanted no immigration at all..not even legal? That's not America...that's rather hateful. If someone goes through the process to come here legally..especially someone who has skills and education...I consider it wrong to not allow it. The Founding Fathers were FOR others coming to the USA , to ASSIMELATE, and become productive citizens. (that's how we all got here) I can certainly understand and relate to the over amount of invaders on the southern border who are coming for the perks...and clearly, we need that stopped. I am in agreement with most of the people who don't believe a trillion dollar fence would keep them out...they'd get a bigger ladder. I have stated before, I have seen, right here in my own community, the illegals disappear when the building of the condo's on the beach disappeared...they are mostly gone now. It makes sense to STOP the education, welfare and jobs. The LP is FOR surveillence on the borders...which would be effective. Bob Barr said:

In essence, America has too many illegal immigrants and too few legal ones, particularly those with unique entrepreneurial, professional and scientific skills.

I really don't understand it that we wouldn't allow someone who might assist in finding a cure for cancer or whatever , come to the USA.

- a flood of foreigners who are dropping the wages like a rock. For us, it is not a recession but a depression. If it has not hit your job or industry yet, just wait a minute - its coming.
    This fact, and the war in Iraq I believe are the two very reasons our economy is in such a mess. That and the increasing worldwide demand for oil. The first two we could do something about -- maybe. But we certainly could stop the FIRST item from happening.

I go to our local shopping area now in the DC -- and we're talking the most upscale mall in the area -- and it's FULL of foreigners. Whether they're illegals, HB1 VISA holders, or whatever -- they are there in droves. They are all here, working in this business sector of DC -- computer jobs, engineering, what have you. No one is American anywhere ...

Our country may already be so far sold out that there is no getting it back -- I just really wonder.

MW
    BEARFLAGREPUBLIC WROTE:

This "Market God" that supposedly drives everything under the sun for libertarians has no place for dictating our immigration policy.

Amen brother BEAR.

Jazzloverinc wrote:

I don't understand? I thought the issue on this forum was illegal immigration, border jumping. I didn't realize you wanted no immigration at all..not even legal?
    No one said that, Jazzlover. What I specifically said was that I do not want more of it. Isn't 1 million plus enough? Tell me, what number would you consider acceptable for legal immigration? Like I said earlier, we're already accepting more legal immigrants than any other nation in the world.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Maybe...

I guess we need to be selective on who we do accept..I think productive immigrants who will contribute something to the USA are good...I truely don't agree with allowing just anyone to come. Matter of fact..there are guide lines for coming when people do it the right way. They have to prove they can sustain themselves...the government certainly is NOT following the guidelines whatsoever. We dont do a very good job of being watchdogs on who we elect. Most Americans don't pay enough attention to who their candidates are. We already have guest worker programs. I know this, because i play music in restaurants out at the beach or I might go and hear my friends play also. Most of the guest workers I run into here who are waiters seem to be from Russia..not Mexico. You can look up guest worker programs on the internet. These companies get a fee for finding foreigners to work for you. I believe that locals would certainly be taking those wait staff jobs...but they are being cut out and I disagree with that.

I like the parts about birthright citizenship and ending govt benefits, but I don't like his somewhat defeatist stance on border security, along with no mention of interior enforcement and what do with the 12-38 IAs currently in the country.

Interestingly, I see that ABI gives Barr a career grade of A+ on his report card for his career in Congress (1995-2003). Perhaps then he would be more easily swayed to our side.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bob Barr / Amnesty

If the reasons they come are no longer, there will be no need to address amnesty. If they can't produce proof...and there are no perks, they will leave on their own. If he didn't mention amnesty..I guess he doesn't consider it a factor. no jobs, no education, no medical, no welfare..no illegals.

MW
    Jazzloverinc wrote:

If the reasons they come are no longer, there will be no need to address amnesty.
    That's just it, he's not addressing the man reason they're coming. He doesn't talk about cracking down on employers and/or enforcement in the work place. We've had this discussion before. The number one reason they're coming is for jobs. Sure, getting rid of the benefits will help but it won't end illegal immigration.

If he didn't mention amnesty..I guess he doesn't consider it a factor.
    He didn't mention it because he supports it. He has already addressed the millions here - he says they should be able to stay, assuming the pass a background check. That's amnesty, pure and simple.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

BrotherJohn - thanks for digging up the quotes.

On the issue of immigration, my focus is consistent with the platform, and that is securing the border. I am not talking about physical securing. I don't favor a fence. If there is economic opportunity, people should be free to come into this country and participate in the market..
    Yikes!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast