Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boehner likes Trump, savages Cruz

Boehner likes Trump, savages Cruz

By Chris Stirewalt Published April 28, 2016

BOEHNER LIKES TRUMP, SAVAGES CRUZ

The Republican establishment is getting jiggy with the idea of nominating Donald Trump.

How jiggy? Former House Speaker John Boehner on Wednesday told a crowd at Stanford University that he was “texting buddies” with the celebrity businessman and would have no trouble voting for him in the fall.

According to the school’s student newspaper, Boehner “accepted Trump as the presumptive Republican nominee,” though he declined to endorse Trump’s specific policies.

As for the remaining obstacle to Trump’s takeover of the GOP, Boehner sounded rather Trump-like himself.

“Lucifer in the flesh,” the former speaker said of Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

The remarks came on the same day that Cruz tapped Stanford alum Carly Fiorina as his running mate in a bid to stage a comeback win in Indiana for the chance to thwart Trump at the Republican National Convention in July.

The viciousness of Boehner’s attack is the clearest signal yet that the Republican establishment is falling in line behind Trump in a big way.

Trump is returning the favor. At a rally in Indianapolis on Wednesday, Trump included a defense of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and attacked Cruz for making the “top man” in the senate look bad.

The question for Cruz is whether he can still rally the party’s conservative base against the unexpected new partnership between Trump’s populist backers and the big business wing of the GOP.

The question for Trump is whether his initial supporters will stay with him in this new Boehnerized coalition.

Trump completes GOP break with Bush foreign policy - WSJ: “Striking a nationalistic and populist tone, Mr. Trump was unambiguous in saying he would demand that allies pay the U.S. part of the bill for defending them or else they would have to defend themselves. Many of Mr. Trump’s comments contrasted with recent Republican foreign policy. GOP leaders, led by such figures as Mr. [George W] Bush and Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.), have often called for muscular U.S. engagement in the Middle East, Ukraine and elsewhere.”

Conservatives poised for another defeat - FiveThirtyEight suggests that Cruz is too conservative to defeat Trump, not just for the moderate/liberal wing of the GOP, but also for those who identify as “somewhat conservative.” This essential part of the GOP was carried by George W. Bush back in 2000 despite Sen. John McCain’s dominance with liberal Republicans.

Unbound Pennsylvania delegates wary - NYT: “…[I]n the trench warfare fight for the Republican presidential nomination — the smaller, less understood delegate races that could prove far more pivotal to Mr. Trump’s campaign — the situation remains fluid. He appeared to have won about 40 of Pennsylvania’s 54 unbound delegates, along with another 17 awarded to him outright as the statewide winner. The remaining 14 delegates have either expressed no preference or said they would not vote for Mr. Trump.”

Fiorina waves off collusion talk - On “The Kelly File,” Carly Fiorina dismissed claims that there was something strange about a pro-Cruz super PAC giving her presidential campaign money last spring saying, “The last time I looked what Super PACs do, they’re not coordinating with candidates by law, and most super PACs give to a variety of like-minded candidates. I think there’s been no doubt to anyone who’s been watching this race for a long time that Ted Cruz and I are like-minded.”

[GOP delegate count: Trump 987; Cruz 562; Kasich 153 (1,237 needed to win)]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...ages-cruz.html
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Once these people are free from the donor class, they can start acting and talking like real Americans. Refreshing proof in the pudding. I sort of wish Boehner would cross over the line and endorse, explain why and help us start uniting the country, he could explain to people, better than most what it means to be in the grasp of the donor class being forced to do things you know are wrong just for the money to stay in the game. A terrible situation and he can reveal much about.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

John Boehner on Ted Cruz: 'Lucifer in the Flesh' -I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life”
    said he would not vote for Cruz in a general election, though he would vote for his fellow tangerine-tinted Republican Donald Trump.
    It’s not news that Boehner doesn’t like Cruz, whom he has previously called a “jackass” and a “false prophet,”

Why hasn’t the Texas senator managed to unite the Republican Party in opposition to Donald Trump? It’s not complicated.John Boehner on Ted Cruz: 'Lucifer in the Flesh'

Former House Speaker John Boehner seems to be enjoying his retirement—and wouldn’t you, after what he went through in Washington? One reason for his buoyant mood, besides the chance to cut grass, is the opportunity to stay far, far away from Senator Ted Cruz.

Asked about Cruz during an appearance at Stanford University on Wednesday, Boehner called him “Lucifer in the flesh,” according to the The Stanford Daily.

“I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life,” Boehner added. He said he would not vote for Cruz in a general election, though he would vote for his fellow tangerine-tinted Republican Donald Trump.

It’s not news that Boehner doesn’t like Cruz, whom he has previously called a “jackass” and a “false prophet,” nor is the source of their bad blood a mystery: Cruz helped rally revolts against leadership, particularly in the House, that led to the 2013 government shutdown, and his attempts at undermining Boehner made the speaker’s life impossible, eventually driving him to retire. Temperamentally, they’re opposites, too—the sentimental, irreverent, wine-loving Ohioan and the sanctimonious, ambitious Texan.

Boehner’s comments come at an interesting time in the presidential campaign, and they seem to illuminate the moment. Earlier in the race, Republicans who’d encountered Cruz hated him so much that they seemed to prefer Trump. (“Why do people take such an instant dislike to Ted Cruz? It just saves time,” one quipped to Frank Bruni.) Then Trump went a little too far for their tastes, right around the time of his flirtation with David Duke, the white supremacist and former KKK leader, and they started to uneasily slouch toward Cruz.

The limitations of that embrace have become clear. While it seemed likely a couple weeks ago that Trump would fall short of what he needed to clinch the GOP nomination, producing a contested convention—O brave new world, in which such chaos is Republican leaders’ fondest hope!Trump’s April 26 Northeastern sweep has shifted the ground. The entertainer now has the nomination nearly within reach. Cruz has resorted to Hail Mary strategies, including naming Carly Fiorina his “running mate” on Wednesday—a remarkable move, given that Fiorina was herself a weak candidate; that Cruz is highly unlikely to win the nomination; and that even if he captured it at convention, he might not be able to pick his running mate.

Boehner’s comments show why Cruz’s attempts to rally the Republican Party have been futile, even though his opponent is a widely loathed misogynist, ex-Democrat, loose cannon, and race-baiter. Not everyone is willing to be as blunt as Boehner, but other GOP leaders’ feelings are no secret. (Boehner said he golfs with Trump and called him a “texting buddy,” while he offered somewhat fainter praise for his fellow Ohioan John Kasich.)

The problem is that many top Republicans have already written off this presidential race, expecting that Hillary Clinton will win the White House. Amid such resignation, there’s no incentive for them to back the man they’ve served with and despise. It isn’t so much that the top GOP figures are backing Trump; he still has barely any endorsements from officeholders, and Trump’s base is an entirely different group of people. Instead, they’re just backing away slowly. Better to quietly avert your eyes from the devil you don’t know than embrace the devil you do.

“I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life,” Boehner added. He said he would not vote for Cruz in a general election, though he would vote for his fellow tangerine-tinted Republican Donald Trump.

It’s not news that Boehner doesn’t like Cruz, whom he has previously called a “jackass” and a “false prophet,” nor is the source of their bad blood a mystery: Cruz helped rally revolts against leadership, particularly in the House, that led to the 2013 government shutdown, and his attempts at undermining Boehner made the speaker’s life impossible, eventually driving him to retire. Temperamentally, they’re opposites, too—the sentimental, irreverent, wine-loving Ohioan and the sanctimonious, ambitious Texan.

Boehner’s comments come at an interesting time in the presidential campaign, and they seem to illuminate the moment. Earlier in the race, Republicans who’d encountered Cruz hated him so much that they seemed to prefer Trump. (“Why do people take such an instant dislike to Ted Cruz? It just saves time,” one quipped to Frank Bruni.) Then Trump went a little too far for their tastes, right around the time of his flirtation with David Duke, the white supremacist and former KKK leader, and they started to uneasily slouch toward Cruz.

The limitations of that embrace have become clear. While it seemed likely a couple weeks ago that Trump would fall short of what he needed to clinch the GOP nomination, producing a contested convention—O brave new world, in which such chaos is Republican leaders’ fondest hope!Trump’s April 26 Northeastern sweep has shifted the ground. The entertainer now has the nomination nearly within reach. Cruz has resorted to Hail Mary strategies, including naming Carly Fiorina his “running mate” on Wednesday—a remarkable move, given that Fiorina was herself a weak candidate; that Cruz is highly unlikely to win the nomination; and that even if he captured it at convention, he might not be able to pick his running mate.

Boehner’s comments show why Cruz’s attempts to rally the Republican Party have been futile, even though his opponent is a widely loathed misogynist, ex-Democrat, loose cannon, and race-baiter. Not everyone is willing to be as blunt as Boehner, but other GOP leaders’ feelings are no secret. (Boehner said he golfs with Trump and called him a “texting buddy,” while he offered somewhat fainter praise for his fellow Ohioan John Kasich.)

The problem is that many top Republicans have already written off this presidential race, expecting that Hillary Clinton will win the White House. Amid such resignation, there’s no incentive for them to back the man they’ve served with and despise. It isn’t so much that the top GOP figures are backing Trump; he still has barely any endorsements from officeholders, and Trump’s base is an entirely different group of people. Instead, they’re just backing away slowly. Better to quietly avert your eyes from the devil you don’t know than embrace the devil you do.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ucifer/480315/
    Last edited by artist; 04-28-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Last edited by JohnDoe2; 04-28-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Franklin Graham: John Boehner ‘an embarrassment’ for anti-Cruz comments

Franklin Graham more >

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Friday, April 29, 2016

Christian evangelist Franklin Graham said John Boehner’s recent comments are “an embarrassment to our nation” after the former House Speaker described Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz as “Lucifer in the flesh.”

“Former Speaker of the House John Boehner shame on you!” Mr. Graham, the 63-year-old son of evangelist Billy Graham, wrote on Facebook. “You had no business calling Ted Cruz ‘Lucifer in the flesh’ — this is an embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to our nation. Then lowering yourself further by calling him a SOB?”

“I’m not endorsing Cruz or any other candidate, but your verbal rant at Stanford is beneath the public office you were elected to hold,” he wrote. “The Bible warns us to watch our tongues, ‘The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body’ (James 3:6).”

During a discussion Wednesday night at Stanford University, Mr. Boehner, who retired from Congress at the end of October, told audience members of Mr. Cruz: “I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life.”

Mr. Cruz
    responded Wednesday by saying Mr. Boehner “allowed his inner Trump to come out.”

“When he calls me ‘Lucifer’ he’s not directed that at me, he’s directing that at you,” Mr. Cruz said into the TV news cameras at an impromptu press conference in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

“The truth is I don’t know the man. If I’ve said 50 words to John Boehner in my life, I’d be surprised,” he added.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rassment-for-/
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn