Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

UB

Bush praises Mexican Americans

Bush praises Mexican Americans at Cinco de Mayo dinner

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer
    Mon May 5, 10:03 PM ET

WASHINGTON - President Bush wished a gathering of dinner guests a "Feliz Cinco de Maya" Monday in his final White House celebration of the Mexican holiday — slightly erring in his Spanish, but serving up a reminder of how he snared Hispanic votes in the last presidential election.

ADVERTISEMENT

While the heated immigration debate has caused some strain between the United States and Mexico, Bush was more conciliatory Monday. He said Cinco de Mayo is a chance to prove the two countries are "connected by more than geography." He referred correctly to the day, Cinco de Mayo, in other parts of his brief speech.

"We share an interest in making sure our people are prosperous and safe," Bush said of Mexico. "In America, we deeply value the culture and contributions of Mexican Americans. The United States is a richer place, a more vibrant place because people who claim Mexican heritage are now called United States citizens. ... We consider ourselves fortunate that Mexico is a friend and a neighbor."

Brightly colored "papel picado" — intricately cut tissue paper — fluttered furiously in the spring breeze as the guests sat in the Rose Garden. The tables were covered with red tablecloths and decorated with centerpieces of tiny green flowers shaped into cacti.

The horns and guitars of Mariachi Campanas de America, a San Antonio-based band, resonated in the colonnade of the White House as the band's gold-trimmed black costumes and sombreros served as a backdrop for Bush's speech. The band later backed Spanish singer Shaila Durcal, who sang three songs for the crowd, including the Mexican classic "Volver, Volver."

Bush has held Cinco de Mayo celebrations since arriving at the White House in 2001, in part as a symbol of the priority he gave the U.S. relationship with Mexico and his effort to curry favor with the Hispanic community.

But as he departs, the Republican Party is anxious about losing Hispanic votes in the November elections. Some Hispanics feel anti-immigrant sentiment has become anti-Hispanic as well.

In Phoenix on Monday, Republican John McCain acknowledged the focus on illegal immigration during the GOP primary had hurt his party's image among Hispanics.

Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said Cinco de Mayo was a reminder that "the American dream is still out of reach for too many Latinos." Rival Hillary Clinton criticized Bush's policies of "neglect and broken promises" toward Mexico and said the holiday was a chance to recognize mutual goals shared with Mexican Americans.

About 200 people attended the White House dinner. Among them were Mexican American Antonio Garza, the U.S. ambassador to Mexico; Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, a Cuban American; and Columba Bush, a Mexican American who is the wife of Bush's brother Jeb.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080506/ap_ ... _mayo_bush
    If you ain't mad, you ain't payin' attention = Terry Anderson.

These people have no clue .. I am outraged ! !

Bush needs to move to Mexico.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    To avoid being arrested when he leaves office?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    To avoid being arrested when he leaves office?
    Jeb's wife is Mexican and grew up in the same town as GoneZalez.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

No such thing mexican American.
    Either your one or the other.
    AMERICANS where BORN in AMERICA.

mexicans where born in mexico. mexicans are having their children here in AMERICA, then the children would be called Americans.

Bush needs to go live in mexico.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

How about he actually celebrate an USA holiday? I mean I know it may sound ridiculous or absurd to our government and our President but I mean what happened to celebrating the USA that most people want to live in and prosper in and yet outsiders just come to take not contribute. It's like they see US taxpayers as their meal ticket.

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    FedUpinFarmersBranch

Hello Alipac members and guests :

I have been a guest of Alipac for some time and have decided to join to
    help both monetarily and in spirit . I know Alipac backs no candidate or party but we need to somehow rid DC of some of the leechs we have
    sent there. I Hope somehow with my voice i can make a difference
    for my children and grandchildren .
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

FedUpinFarmersBranch

welcome aboard glad to have you .. Glad you joined and we do not support any one person . But we do Welcome all info..

FedUpInFarmersBranch - Hey there, welcome aboard!

Glad you made it!

Feel free to run those questions by us should you have any...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast