Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CAFTA, FTAA and 2008 Presidential Candidates

There were six (6) potential canidates for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination that had an opportunity to vote on CAFTA. Five (5) of them voted yes. Those were Senators Allen. Brownback, Frist, Hagel and McCain. Cong. Tom Tancredo voted no. Will these five (5) senators also vote for the FTAA?

Good Question and thanks for the information. By the way, where did you get the information? Thanks
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    Good Question and thanks for the information. By the way, where did you get the information? Thanks
    I will try to find a link to the Senate roll call vote on CAFTA. I have a link to it stored somewhere in my deleted e-mails. Here is a link to Cong. Tancredo's press release concerning CAFTA:
    http://tancredo.house.gov/press/presser ... isions.htm .

Here is the actual press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Will Adams

June 30, 2005
    (202) 225-7882

Tancredo Blasts CAFTA’s Back Door Immigration Provisions

Trade Pact Threatens U.S. Sovereignty, Allows Foreigners to Side-Step Immigration Laws

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-CO) sent a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman, outlining the lawmaker’s serious concerns with the nearly 1,000 page-long Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).

“This agreement opens America’s borders to a lot more than sugar and bananas,� said Tancredo, “This agreement, as drafted, will effectively give people from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic a de facto right to work in the United States.�

The agreement comes on the heels of prior trade agreements with Singapore and Chile, both of which also included provisions liberalizing immigration law.

Despite continued insistence by CAFTA’s supporters that the deal does not include immigration provisions, the plain language of the agreement suggests otherwise.

Tancredo pointed to Chapter 11 of the agreement, which stipulates that, “Cross-border trade in services or cross-border supply of services means the supply of a service…by a national of a party in the territory of another party.� The agreement goes on to say that the U.S. must ensure that, “measures relating to qualification requirements and procedures, technical standards and licensing requirements do not constitute unnecessary barriers to trade in services,� and are “not in themselves a restriction on the supply of the service.�

“This agreement will allow foreign companies to challenge our immigration policies in international CAFTA tribunals and argue that the laws impede their ability to access the U.S. service sector,� said Tancredo. “That would force Congress to change our immigration laws, or subject our businesses to trade sanctions.�

“If this agreement is approved, the ‘exclusive’ power of Congress to regulate immigration policy will be subjugated to the whim of international tribunals – the same way that Congress ceded its once supreme Constitutional authority to ‘regulate commerce with foreign nations’ to the WTO.�

Thanks, I have the CAFTA Roll Call. I didnt know so many of them wanted to be the prez.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

FTAA

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    Thanks, I have the CAFTA Roll Call. I didnt know so many of them wanted to be the prez.
    I have no doubt that Allen, Brownback, First, Hagel and McCain will each vote for the FTAA. I'm sure that Cong. Tancredo will vote against it.

Tancredo for President 2008!

real leadership

Here is Tom going with the party line, showing his leadership qualities.

Got to protect the party and the partisan president no matter what, when it comes right down to it. I figure, sure Louisiana is corrupt, congress isn't.

Let's not talk about the 250 billion dollar price tag on a war based on lies, that near everyone voted for. That doesn't count the human toll. It always about money in these here United States.

Good thing the people who are loaning our bankrupt government money don't think so.

FEMA is a bargain, huh Tom?

Yep, if my house and life were blown away I would want someone like Tom to shill for the institutions that didn't show in any reasonable time. It's all politics and posturing.

I fear there is not a Statesman among them, the lot coming up.

Save the investigations til AFTER your branch of government actually DOES SOMETHING!!!

REP TANCREDO: BLOCK KATRINA AID TO LOUISIANA POLITICIAN *PIC*

Posted By: Ghost
    Date: Wednesday, 7 September 2005, 4:14 p.m.

Congressman Tancredo: Block Katrina Aid to Louisiana Politicians
    Sept. 7, 2005 | Steve Sabludowsky

WASHINGTON, DC. - Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-CO) wrote a letter to Speaker Hastert, urging him to direct federal hurricane relief aid through channels other than Louisiana public officials. Citing incompetence and a history of corruption, Tancredo said a bipartisan select committee of the House should administer the aid and provide accountability for the $52 billion requested. The letter is reprinted below:

Dear Mr. Speaker,

Given the abysmal failure of state and local officials in Louisiana to plan adequately for or respond to the effects of Hurricane Katrina on the city of New Orleans, and given the long history of public corruption in Louisiana, I hope the House will refrain from directly appropriating any funds from the public treasury to either the state of Louisiana or the city of New Orleans. Instead, reconstruction and relief funds dedicated to the people of New Orleans should be administered by a private organization or a select committee similar to the historic Truman Commission.

Public corruption is a well known problem in Louisiana. The head of the FBI in New Orleans just this past year described the state´s public corruption as "epidemic, endemic, and entrenched. No branch of government is exempt." Over the last thirty years, a long list of Louisiana politicians have been convicted of crimes; the list includes a governor, an attorney general, an elections commissioner, an agriculture commissioner, three successive insurance commissioners, a congressman, a federal judge, a State Senate president, six other state legislators, and a host of appointed officials, local sheriffs, city councilmen, and parish police jurors. Given the documented public corruption in the state, I am not confident that Louisiana officials can be trusted to administer federal relief aid.

Clearly the federal response from FEMA in the aftermath of the hurricane was hampered by bureaucratic ineptitude. Making matters worse, the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana have demonstrated mind-boggling incompetence in their lack of planning for and response to this disaster. According to one recent media report, "A year ago, as Hurricane Ivan approached, New Orleans ordered an evacuation but did not use city or school buses to help people evacuate. As a result many of the poorest citizens were unable to evacuate. Fortunately, the hurricane changed course and did not hit New Orleans, but both Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin acknowledged the need for a better evacuation plan...[but] did not take corrective actions. In 1998, during a threat by Hurricane George, 14,000 people were sent to the Superdome and theft and vandalism were rampant due to inadequate security. Again, these problems were not corrected."

The city of New York, by comparison, had no advance warning of 9/11. Yet Mayor Giuliani and Governor Pataki displayed tremendous leadership in managing a chaotic situation in the city. Their leadership inspired confidence in their ability to manage the emergency and coordinate federal aid In contrast, despite knowing days in advance about the coming hurricane, Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin seem to have done little beyond encouraging residents to leave the city or gather at the Superdome. City school and transit buses could have carried 12,000 persons per run out of the city, yet they sat idle in parking lots under water - while both the Mayor and Governor criticized the federal response.

In the coming days, tens of billions of dollars will likely flood Louisiana to address the costs of rescue, clean up, and rebuilding. The question is not whether Congress should provide for those in need, but whether state and local officials who have been derelict in their duty should be trusted with that money. Their record during Hurricane Katrina and the long history of public corruption in Louisiana convinces me that that they should not.

Sincerely,

Tom Tancredo

-----------------------

I didn't find any departures from truth or accuracy in Tancredo's letter. Louisiana has been corrupt beyond corruption for many many years. When I lived there citizens laughed about the number of times they'd sold their votes to different politicians.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Colorado

Roadrunner; Do you know anything about Colorado politics? Check into it.

In other matters;

Needless to say the history of skullduggery leads back to some very familiar people and the ethos they carry. Remember Silverado? Neil and take it!!!

Colorado home to A"spen t" and other noted creeps like Kenny Lay and FOBs', (friends of bush) and the republican't party.

Poor misses lay; After liquidating one of her many "houses"(gotta see them!), had to rent a store front in aspent, to sale all the extra furnishings she was tragically forced to sell... when tragedy befell the company that her husband ran. Poor enron, poor misses lay, poor kenny, poor george, poor republicant's that shill for these, and the like.

I believe she complained that the store rental cost 7 k a month.

Poor Colorado, cracked open like an egg now, by Halliburton,(station Grand Junction, Denver) and most notably Encana, (a canadian control) for its gas and other sundry reserves. Check out what happens to landowners in this State when the energy goons come for what they have legal claim to.

LOOK! glenn