Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyYuma
    They've got a system where the pickers bounce from farm to farm, and State to State. The real issue involved in bringing Americans back to picking, is breaking the company that rounds up illegals to do the work. Those companies own tour buses, ladders, pick-up trucks, hire their buddies in the Trucking industry to haul the fruit, and veggies, etc... It's a big system that starts in Mexico, stretches across America, and probably into Canada, then ends up back in Mexico for some I would imagine. They call them migrant workers because they are always moving. It would really be fun for kids, and other folks that want to tour the U.S. I think it is safe to state that pickers are always employed in the U.S., all year long.
    Wow, I did not know that. Good information. I do think it interesting that I have yet to read that in any news article. Thank you for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarhighwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyYuma
    They've got a system where the pickers bounce from farm to farm, and State to State. The real issue involved in bringing Americans back to picking, is breaking the company that rounds up illegals to do the work. Those companies own tour buses, ladders, pick-up trucks, hire their buddies in the Trucking industry to haul the fruit, and veggies, etc... It's a big system that starts in Mexico, stretches across America, and probably into Canada, then ends up back in Mexico for some I would imagine. They call them migrant workers because they are always moving. It would really be fun for kids, and other folks that want to tour the U.S. I think it is safe to state that pickers are always employed in the U.S., all year long.
    Wow, I did not know that. Good information. I do think it interesting that I have yet to read that in any news article. Thank you for sharing that.
    You are welcome. I have picked that information up over the years of living near agricultural areas.
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

That and farmers on the news state that they are awaiting their annual pickers to arrive to pick their fruit!

Banned
    How did the crops ever get picked before illegals arrived? Oh wait, these guys did it.

How many American lives were ruined and lost because of your cheap labor? I hope your stupid blackberries rot.

Banned
    I bet those damn berries get picked if he adverties it people want jobs and 12 dallors an hour pluss all you can eat shoot ive picked berries gowing up and sold them for 2 dallors a gallon and it takes alot of berries and time to make a gallon.There is alot of people out of work that will do the jobs illegals have taken away.The damn farmers is what caused the problem by working them in the first place now they can suffer like the rest of us had to because of their cheap labor practice.

Quote Originally Posted by mkfarnam
    Watched the video....anyone who watched this video notice where they are headed? Washington state. They can come here, still get a drivers license (take the test in Spanish - never mind they can't read road signs in English) soon we will be known as "California north". 35% increase in the Latino population in this state in the last 3 years.....wonderful.....just wonderful. Rob McKenna is running for governor in this state. He is a RINO who is so pro-illegal, it makes me sick.

------------------------

Grape pickers needed in Georgia next month. $12.00 an hour. That is more than alot of Americans make. He is a generous farmer, God bless his soul. Even if they only work three days, it is probably 10 hour days, $120.00x3 is $360 in 3 days. I'd be there with a cooler, straw hat with ice tucked underneath it , and my wallet. There's no glory in listening to somebody say it's below an American to pick. Anything can be construed as being below a person. They have a pick your own blackberry farm near here, and folks don't complain.

Ten worst jobs in America

From bad to worse: thanks to upheaval in the oil industry, Roustabout ranks as the Worst Job of 2011 – its second straight year in last place.

Twelve-hour shifts, exposure to the elements in hostile environments, low pay, high risk of injury and isolation from loved ones for weeks at a time are just some of the factors that combine to make Roustabout the worst job of 2011.

As the key providers of maintenance for oil rigs and pipelines, Roustabouts routinely perform backbreaking labor at all hours of the day and night in conditions that can range from arctic winters to desert summers to ocean storms. They even face the threat of attack in unstable parts of the world. Braving these inhospitable surroundings, Roustabouts work on the front lines, getting hands-on with dangerous drilling equipment and risking serious injury or worse – as last year’s explosion at the Deepwater Horizon facility in the Gulf of Mexico illustrates.

Why does Roustabout rank as the worst job of 2011, as opposed to other worst jobs such as Lumberjack or Construction Worker? Surveying 200 different jobs, the Jobs Rated report ranks professions according to five core criteria: Work Environment, Physical Demands, Outlook, Income and Stress. Last year Roustabout finished in the bottom 20 for nearly every category, and now thanks to a seven year suspension of offshore drilling in America’s eastern Gulf and Atlantic coastlines, the hiring prospects for oil rig workers have gotten even worse. This decline in employment opportunities has dropped Roustabout’s Outlook ranking seven spots in 2011, to 195th overall. Despite being part of the still-booming oil business, the Outlook for Roustabouts in 2011 is similar to jobs like Photographic Process Worker, Shoemaker and Bookbinder – all professions that are part of fading industries.

That said, Roustabout isn’t the only career on the 10 worst jobs list that is facing an employment crisis. Jobs such as Lumberjack, Roofer and Construction Worker rank poorly in part because of the recent housing bubble and economic recession, which have significantly slowed the pace of new construction. On the other hand, jobs like EMT have considerably better hiring prospects, but rank among the 10 worst jobs of 2011 due to harsh working conditions, high stress and inexcusably low pay given the extremely important nature of the work.

While working as a Roustabout may require little more than physical strength, not all of the professions that rank among the 10 worst jobs of 2011 are simple unskilled labor. Becoming a Welder or Ironworker, for example, requires extensive training and apprenticeship, and experienced workers can earn a very good salary. However, each of these professions does suffer from at least one "fatal flaw" that makes it rank lower than the rest, whether that be high stress, low pay, unpleasant working conditions, increased risk of injury, or a combination of the above:

1. Roustabout.Performs routine physical labor and maintenance on oil rigs and pipelines, both on and off shore.

Overall Score: 892.00Income: $32,143.00.
    Work Environment: 1731.450
    Stress: 26.430
    Physical Demands: 36.89
    Hiring Outlook: -19.57

...2. Ironworker.Raises the steel framework of buildings, bridges, and other structures.

Overall Score: 887.00Income: $34,127.00.
    Work Environment: 1593.720
    Stress: 31.270
    Physical Demands: 36.85
    Hiring Outlook: -12.73

...3. Lumberjack.Fells, cuts, and transports timber to be processed into lumber, paper, and other wood products.
    Overall Score: 868.00Income: $32,109.00.
    Work Environment: 1817.530
    Stress: 40.090
    Physical Demands: 38.87
    Hiring Outlook: 0.09

...4. Roofer.Installs roofs on new buildings, performs repairs on old roofs, and re-roofs old buildings.

Overall Score: 863.00Income: $34,168.00.
    Work Environment: 1481.200
    Stress: 30.680
    Physical Demands: 33.46
    Hiring Outlook: -9.32

...5. Taxi Driver.Operates a taxi cab over the streets and roads of a municipality, picking up and dropping off passengers by request.
    Overall Score: 821.00Income: $21,127.00.
    Work Environment: 2317.210
    Stress: 46.270
    Physical Demands: 14.46
    Hiring Outlook: 5.27

...6. Emergency Medical Technician.Attends to situations which demand immediate medical attention, such as automobile accidents, heart attacks, and gunshot wounds.
    Overall Score: 814.00Income: $30,168.00.
    Work Environment: 1610.700
    Stress: 39.680
    Physical Demands: 21.26
    Hiring Outlook: 4.68

...7. Welder.Joins or repairs metal surfaces through the application of heat.
    Overall Score: 811.00Income: $35,126.00.
    Work Environment: 1180.140
    Stress: 23.260
    Physical Demands: 29.08
    Hiring Outlook: -15.74

...8. Painter.Prepares surfaces, and applies paints, varnishes, and finishes to the interiors and exteriors of houses and other structures.
    Overall Score: 798.00Income: $34,152.00.
    Work Environment: 1034.020
    Stress: 31.520
    Physical Demands: 26.00
    Hiring Outlook: -3.48

...9. Meter Reader.Monitors public utility meters, and records volume of consumption by customers.
    Overall Score: 798.00Income: $34,171.00.
    Work Environment: 1127.360
    Stress: 21.710
    Physical Demands: 25.67
    Hiring Outlook: -30.29

...10. Construction Worker.Assists construction trade workers by performing a wide variety of tasks requiring physical labor.
    Overall Score: 798.00Income: $29,211.00.
    Work Environment: 1555.850
    Stress: 30.110
    Physical Demands: 36.41
    Hiring Outlook: 7.11

The annual Jobs Rated rankings seek to determine which professions provide a positive experience for a majority of workers, not just a select few. While there will always be exceptions – Roustabouts with fulfilling careers or unhappy Software Engineers (2011’s Best Job), for example – these rankings use comprehensive data to project the typical pluses and minuses that an average worker will experience day-to-day on the job.

http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/10-worst-jobs-2011

Funny, I don't see farmworker on here. My friend's son-in-law is a roustabout. He is a citizen. Guess that's a job illegals won't take.
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong

poor farmers

I live in a farm area also wheat is our predominate crop here. Yea this is disrespectful to farmers so stop reading if that bothers you. We have a couple sayings about farmers here. One is they lose the crop at least 7 times every year before they bring it to market yet somehow it always seems to make it to market. The other one: Do you know why a farmer’s baseball hat has such a curved bill? It’s shaped to the mailbox from looking for his government check. Corn 6 dollars wheat 5.25 at these cash prices the worst farmer imaginable can’t fail can they? The livestock people who feed grains are the ones hurting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12