Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cong. Tancredo's Piece in the Denver Post

Article Last Updated:

guest commentary
    Bigger sins than offending

By Rep. Tom Tancredo
    R-Colo.
    DenverPost.com

By now, many people in America - and likely around the world - are familiar with my statements regarding a possible response to a nuclear attack on U.S. cities by fundamentalist Islamic terrorists.

Without question, my comments have prompted strong reactions from many quarters, but they have also served to start a national dialogue about what options we have to deter al-Qaeda and other would-be Islamic terrorists.

Many critics of my statements have characterized them as "offensive," and indeed they may have offended some. But in this battle against fundamentalist Islam, I am hardly preoccupied with political correctness, or who may or may not be offended. Indeed, al-Qaeda cares little if the Western world is "offended" by televised images of hostages beheaded in Iraq, subway bombings in London, train attacks in Madrid, or Americans jumping to their death from the Twin Towers as they collapsed.

Few can argue that our current approach to this war has deterred fundamentalists from killing Westerners - nor has it prompted "moderate" Muslims and leaders of Muslim countries to do what is necessary to crack down on the extremists in their midst who perpetuate these grisly crimes.

That being the case, perhaps the civilized world must intensify its approach.

Does that mean the United States should be re-targeting its entire missile arsenal on Mecca today? Does it mean we ought to be sending Stealth bombers on runs over Medina? Clearly not.

But should we take any option or target off the table, regardless of the circumstances? Absolutely not, particularly if the mere discussion of an option or target may dissuade a fundamentalist Muslim extremist from strapping on a bomb-filled backpack, or if it might encourage "moderate" Muslims to do a better job cracking down on extremism in their ranks.

People have accused me of creating more terrorism by making these statements. Indeed, we often hear that Western governments bring these attacks on themselves. Just days after the London subway attacks two weeks ago, for example, Tariq Ali, a prominent British Muslim activist, was quick to suggest that London residents "paid the price" for British support in the Iraq campaign.

A professor in Lebanon, Dr. George Hajjar, went even further, proclaiming, "I hope that every patriotic and Islamic Arab will participate in this war, and will shift the war not only to America, but to ... wherever America may be." Hajjar went on to say that "there are no innocent people," and referred to the victims of the attack as "collateral casualties."

These are fairly "offensive" statements, to be sure, but the sentiments expressed by Ali and Hajjar are sadly commonplace in the "mainstream" Muslim world, where justification for terrorist attacks like the ones that rocked London, New York and Washington is never in short supply.

Fundamentalist Muslims have advocated the destruction of the West since long before the attacks of Sept. 11, long before the Madrid, London and Bali attacks, long before the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, long before the attack on the USS Cole and the 1993 WTC bombing.

In many respects, the decision of "moderate" Muslims to acquiesce to these actions and even provide tacit justification for them is just as damaging to global safety and security as the attacks themselves.

Until "mainstream" Islam can bring itself to stop rationalizing terrorist attacks and start repudiating and purging people like Ali and Hajjar from its ranks who do, this war will continue. As long as this war goes on, being "offended" should be the least of anyone's worries.

Republican Tom Tancredo represents Colorado's 6th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Hey Guys, LOOK...actually a politician that can see the forest for the trees. And talk without political double speak. And speak without the PC element.

I agree with him totally. I lived in the Islamic world for several years. All they understand is violence...an eye for an eye...and sometimes an eye without anyone having done them any harm...they're ignorant and know only what they're 'leaders' tell them...or that they see on AlJeezera...

I think the handling of this 'war on terror' has been a namby pamby mess..not enough men to go in there and CLEAN them out...not enough will to push forward when the advantage is ours...no no...got to lose more Americans in this fight.

The really interesting part is that the government jumped on the first opportunity that it had had in some time in order to deprive us of even more of our liberties under the so called' Homeland Defense' program. I wish they'd gone after the ENEMY FIRST...and closed our borders. What stupidity...what culpability...

Don't get me started.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

RIGHT ON TOM! Quailfy..but NEVER apologize for speaking your mind. Your sentiment reflects that of the majority of Americans. Dont forget that. In addition, your refusal to buckle under PC pressure is SO refreshing to those of us that cherish everything America stands for.

If you stay strong and KEEP TALKING, you will be backed by contributions unheard of in present day politics. Why? Because the source will be MILLIONS of American citizens..not big business!

"The Man That Saved America". Nice epitaph Tom, dont you think?