original link>http://www2.jornada.unam.mx/2005/may...4/031n1mun.php

The markets are more intelligent than the governments, say in the Council of the Américas

The security, "essential" for the political and economic success of A: Rumsfeld
Only the free commerce protects the communal properties of the towns, maintains Condoleezza Rice

The political transition in Mexico, "in very critical situation", considers David Rockefeller

DAVID BROOKS CORRESPONDENT

The estadunidense Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, when presenting/displaying to William Rhodes, director of the Council of the Américas, during the annual session of the financial organism yesterday in Washington PHOTO AP
Washington, 3 of May. It could not be more explicit, the title of the communication presented/displayed today by the estadunidense Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld before industralists with interests in Latin America was: Assuring the hemisférico climate of businesses.

The sincerity always is praiseworthy. Rumsfeld was dedicated to explain the financiers, investors, executives and analysts of the sanctioned Council of the Américas - who hold their annual meeting here with the presence of their founder David Rockefeller -, the challenges and foundations of the hemisférica security in relation to the enterprise interests. The together government and the private sector without pretext, and everything made in the Department of State. The democracy and the free market, basic formula of the estadunidense policy, settled down again here like the pillar of the relation with Latin America. One does not exist without the other.

Rumsfeld celebrated the fact that the countries of the American hemisphere jointly work by "the democracy and the economic opportunity", and indicated that the security subjects are "essential" for the political and economic success of these countries. "the free political systems and the free economic systems offer the best opportunity for the towns", emphasized several times. The poverty, aimed, is a threat to the security, to nourish violence and instability.

In answer to the phenomenon of "neoPopulism" in Latin America, it said that it was not surprised that it arises, and that is not necessarily negative, although considered that it is a phase similar to the adolescence, where looks for to obtain something immediate, instead of constructing what a project "of mature behavior" considers towards a model of free market and frees commerce. The forces in the world, added, that look for "to create conditions for the investment" and the innovation, are so strong that the countries will understand that the best thing is "to create a pleasant atmosphere for the growth and the prosperity".

Shortly after it proclaimed that "anyone with a little sense knows that the markets are more intelligent than the governments". Therefore, it considered that the eagerness Populist is transitory. Thus, it emphasized that the promotion of the model of these "free systems", as much in the political scope as in the economic one, is the best option, and with it, the threats are reduced to the security.

The fact that this formula of "democracia"-free market now also is expressed explicitly like security policy, is something that before was only said secretly, of diplomatic way, or in the made critical analyses reason why "left" is called.

In fact, an analyst commented that this explicit nexus between economic interests of the "market" (léase, private initiative) and security policy remembered to him of the famous denunciation of decorated the greater general of marines Smedley Butler, that among other things participated in the taking of Veracruz in 1914, and that in a speech in 1933 declared: "I dedicated 33 years and 4 months to the active military service... and during that period I dedicated most of the time to be a golpeador for the great one empresariado, Wall ßstreet and the bankers. Shortly, I was... a gangster for Capitalism ".

Butler indicated: "I helped in assuring to Mexico, particularly Tampico, for the estadunidenses oil interests in 1914. I helped to make of Haiti and Cuba a decent place so that the boys of the National City Bank collected income. I helped to violate average dozen of Central American republics in benefit of Wall ßstreet... I helped to purify Nicaragua for the banquera international house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912... ", and continues, commenting who him could have offered advice to A the Capone.

Subject of free trade, democracy free, as frame of the estadunidense policy in Latin America were first boarded one by the Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, that inaugurated the annual meeting of the Council of the Américas in Washington, an organization established in New York like a type of estadunidense enterprise association dedicated to the relations with Latin America.

Curl remembered that it finishes returning of a tour by the region, where among other profits indicated the one to reach a "consensus" on approving to Jose Miguel Insulza like Secretary General of the Organization of American States, and said that this marked to a new era of cooperation and unit in the hemisphere. It emphasized that during last the 25 years a change in the region has occurred, where have been expelled the "assassins, rateros and dictators" when deciding on the "democracy", like the regimes "of corrupt estatistas economies" have been left back that impoverished their towns.

"the countries of our hemisphere now share a consensus of which the democracy and the economic freedom are the only ways to the success", it affirmed Curls. "the real division in the Américas nowadays is not between governments of the left and the right. The real division is between that they are elect and they govern democratically and those that not ".

It added, returning to the sagrada formula of democracy and free trade, that "stops to attract commerce and investment, the democratic countries will create the political conditions for the prosperity, transparency, governments who render accounts...". And when doing it, these "democratic reforms" will be translated in "opportunities" to surpass the poverty and the participation. It assured that "only free trades and the free commerce protect the communal properties that all the towns share and enjoy together".

It concluded that therefore today an agreement between the countries of the hemisphere exists that 25 years ago had been impossible, since "we were in discord on fundamental subjects of principle". Therefore, today, with the aid of the Council of the Américas, It curls celebrated that "the nations of the Américas have forged a great consensus on the importance of free minds and free trades".

Less optimism

One of the most famous figures of the enterprise world, David Rockefeller, did not seem to share the optimism absolutely of Curls. In interview with the Day, Rockefeller was asked on its perception of the apparent rupture of the call consensus of Washington in neoliberal policies in Latin America. "Then, I thought that there was benefits (of that consensus) and am not sure that what is emerging necessarily is going to be in the type of unit that I create I would be useful".

It added simultaneously that leaders like Lula in Brazil "were worrisome before getting to govern, by many of the things that said, but in the facts, once it arrived at the power made many things who needed to become, and therefore enough I am esperanzado by this".

In the Mexican case, within the context of the political transitions in the region, Rockefeller thought that "it is in a very critical stage, and honestly I do not have a clear idea of which it is going to happen". It concluded that "it is not clear who is going to win, and which will be their policies. Liked Fox, I believe I that she has made things good, but has not managed to impel the reforms for which it pleaded, and that is a pity. For that reason, the question now is if when arriving a new government, number one: it will have the correct point of view, and second: it will be able to make it "

If the winner turns out to be Andrés Manuel Lopez Obrador, said to hope that he is more like a Lula. "Still he is very early to know it", indicated.

More notes of the World section :

Insulza affirms that Derbez never requested the retirement to him of its postulation to the O.A.S.

Peruvian legislators look for to stop to Toledo