Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sessions says:

(Paraphrasing)

Says, the American people should be aware of what we are doing here. Their instincts have been correct. They do not want to do away with immigration altogether and their instincts have been right. They have a right to know what we are doing

So lets discuss what we have in the power point that we have that was somehow leaked to the press...

It has improved border enforcement. Better enforcement

It can improve the situation in the work place which is the draw for illegal jobs, through use of a biometric card that will make it clear exactly what can be done for the employers.

We will have to work realistically and compassionatly with people who are already here. But he doesn't beleive that we should reward people that have broken the law with "EVERY" single benefit of those that come lawfully so we will have to wrestle with that...

More soon.

we need a seasonal, temporay worker program seperate from people who are coming to this country to be citizens

and on basic entry for citizenship, we need to be far more like Australia and Canada, a merit based, skill based system that evaluates immigrants on what they bring to the country.

Do you speak English, have education. Do you have skills that Canada needs? Its a skill based point system, it is subjective and fair. Canadian, Australians, New Zealand are all happy with it and it could work for us too.

I will use every tool that I have to make sure that the bill that comes before us, we will have time to read it, give time for the American people to know what is in it and to evaluate it.

There is a way that the American people can be denied that chance if the leadership wants and has enough support.

He yeilds now.

Sen James Inhofe (R) Okla Speaks now:

Introduces bill S1335 to make English the official language of our nation.

Inhofe says his bill will eliminate multi-lingual voting ballots.

He says....(paraphrasing)

only citizens are allowed to vote and one of the qualities of becoming a citizen is showing the ability to understand English.

the bill states explicity that English is our National language and elevates it to a status in the law it has not held before.

making English our official language will eliminate having to make all Federal document and services be issued in all languages as was mandated in Clintons bill which forced all languages to be recognized.

will end the obligation of providing translators at taxpayers expense

more to follow

Inhofe says that the bill will affect only the language of the government and does not prevent anyone from speaking the language of their choices but now it will be up to them to provide their own means of translation.

A zogby poll states that 84% of the American public including 77% of the Hispanic population believe that English should be the language of government operations.

a 2002 Kaiser Family Foundation study states that 91% of foreign born, Latino immigrants agree that speaking English is essential to succeeding in the US.

51 countries have English as the official language including Zambia, Uganda and Zimbabwi.

Mentions that it was SI Hiakawa (sp) that initially formed this bill some 20 years ago stating that multi-lingual is okay for the public but not for the government.

Last time this came before the floor there were all kinds of objections,
    there are lots of state flags with foreign languages, would have to be banned, You wouldn't be able to speak spanish on the senate floor, you would be drowning people because the patomic river has safety signs for swimmers....it doesn't have anything to do with that but that is how desperatly people want to deny English as the National Language. But we are going to carry on the good work of the Senator for Hawaii and do this for 90% of the American public that want it.

Who in the hell are the Masters of the Universe? This is OUR Congress talking on television like that... hiding things from the American public, pushing bills through so fast we have no time to even read them?
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Thanks for your efforts PAF.

Also, right now on CSpan2 (3:25pm Pacific) Dick Durbin (D-IL) is speaking on his bill (the one requiring enforcement over work visa and H1b programs in conjunction with Charles Grassley (R-IA).

I'll see if I can track down the transcript of his speech - it actually is a pretty good one that is consistent with our views here.

Update: It started out good, and then he reverted back to his usual blah, blah, blan..."Comprehensive Immigration Reform" nonsense... so, I guess in the end it's 'a wash'.

The bill is named:

"The H-1B and L-1 Visa Fraud and Abuse Prevention Act of 2007"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I was able to watch Sessions on CSPAN yesterday and today, I had to perk my ears when he mentioned "masters of the Universe" phrase. Overall he was very interesting to watch, he seems to be one of the few who are withe the people on the immigration debate.

Banned
    Proud and all, how did you take his phrase "masters of the universe?" I understood him to be mocking the "masters" who were creating an amnesty bill behind closed doors, without putting out a text for all to see, including the American people, and who would try to drive it down people's throats before anyone had a chance to read it or react.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Proud and all, how did you take his phrase "masters of the universe?" I understood him to be mocking the "masters" who were creating an amnesty bill behind closed doors, without putting out a text for all to see, including the American people, and who would try to drive it down people's throats before anyone had a chance to read it or react.

I took it as cynical sarcasm.....people with self important grandiose ideas who are manipulating to get their way. That is how I took it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast