It has started. Like I said, how are they going to verify for sure which people are legitimate evacuees? I am sorry to say this happend in my state! The only reason he got caught is because someone recognized him!

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.d ... achetime=5

Article published Sep 8, 2005
Cullman man confesses to stealing from Red Cross

A Cullman man has confessed to posing as a Hurricane Katrina evacuee to get money and lodging from the American Red Cross.

Police said 35-year-old Terrell Gary was charged with stealing 665-dollars from the agency, which is a felony. Gary's girlfriend, who was with him at the time of yesterday's arrest, was not charged.

After showing a valid Louisiana drivers license, like other evacuees, Gary was given a 14-day stay at Holiday Inn Express at no charge and a check intended to cover living expenses.

But Cullman police believe Gary moved to the Cullman at least four months before Hurricane Katrina hit and said work stubs from his employer prove it.

A Red Cross official said Gary was caught when he tried to cash the check at Wal-Mart and was recognized as a local resident.

If convicted, Gary faces between one and ten years in prison and a fine of up to five-thousand dollars.

---

Information from: The Cullman Times