Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

English as an official language

the idea of having Englush as the official language in he U.S. is preposterous. There should be no official language in the U.S. In fact the truth of the matter is that Americans obsession with their own culture has impaired their abilities to understand other cultures, and the sad result are the rampid dissemination of mythologies concerning immigrants and immigration in general. In nearly every country inthe world people learn English, not because they have to, but because they understand the importance of communicating with the global business community. americans would be wise to do the same, particularly since Latin American nations are our prime business partners.

Re: English as an official language

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    the idea of having Englush as the official language in he U.S. is preposterous. There should be no official language in the U.S. In fact the truth of the matter is that Americans obsession with their own culture has impaired their abilities to understand other cultures, and the sad result are the rampid dissemination of mythologies concerning immigrants and immigration in general. In nearly every country inthe world people learn English, not because they have to, but because they understand the importance of communicating with the global business community. americans would be wise to do the same, particularly since Latin American nations are our prime business partners.
    Well, Reverend.
    Oh but you are so wrong, that there should not be an official language.

Case in fact. China until there government went to the point to Make Mandarin there official language. In China, there was Cantonese, Mandarin, and 30 other different languages. But all Chinese. WOW how can you think that a country can survive not knowing how to communicate with each other. Oh yeah China does teach all there People English. But as a second language, not the primary language. What do you think Mexico's official Language it? Yes, Spanish. What is the primary language here? Yes, English. As for Latin American Nations being Prime business partners. No. Unless you are a Corporation, looking for cheap labor, with the Latin American Governments, raking in all the profits. and not looking after the own people. That is why the Great People of The Latin American nations. Should stand up to there Governments and demand respect. Just like we are standing up and saying protect our borders and No to Amnesty. If a person wants to come here. We all have open arms to welcome them here. But obey our laws and respect us. Don't just think that you can come here and do as you please. That is not the American way. WE Have laws.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Oh yeah another thing, My wife is Chinese and she not only speaks English, Chinese (Madrian) She also speaks Cantonese, Japanese, and Italian. Does that mean that you want us to learn every language in the world? Where is the stopping place for you?
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

I just voted yes.

7247 - Yes

0 - No

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    I just voted yes.

7247 - Yes

0 - No
    Do you see this Reverend

I lived in South Korea for two years and their official language is Korean but in Elementary School and High School the kids are taught to read and write English. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Oh let me add one more thing. In the Northwest part of China where my Wife is from.. You do have an elective on a second language. Since the Northwest part is a majority Muslim. You have the choice of English or Arabic as a second language.

Oh contrare, Reverend!!! I will respectfully disagree with you on this as well, Sir!!

I assume as a missionary that you have had an opportunity to travel and to see countries other than the United States. As a former flight attendant, I have also had that wonderful experience, and just in my mind I can count having visited twenty countries. If I looked at my passport I would have to add more, I'm sure.

One of the things that I learned from that experience is that people are very proud of their culture and language. I also learned that people greatly appreciate and respect those who understand and appreciate this pride that they have for their culture and language. It is their identity, it is who they are, it is what they love. It enhances our friendships and makes us closer when people respect this in one another. And can you blame people for this? Our cultures are abundantly full of history and stories regarding our roots, it's vitally important that we protect that. Each country has an important past which should not be forgotten regarding it's struggles and it's triumphs. The legal citizens of every country have a right to guide and direct their future, and to not have their footprints in the path they have traveled covered up.

I've noticed in America, there are some who would like to say that we are all immigrants. That is not so. My anscestors were immigrants, but so were everyone's anscestors immigrants, everywhere, if you look back far enough. I think it is a cheap shot to tell native born Americans that they are immigrants. I join millions of other Americans in having been 100% made in America. That doesn't make me any better than anyone else, but it is a true fact which deserves to be recognized as such.

Some people dislike America, some people like America, and there are those of us who love America. We are the Lighthouse of hope and freedom for the world, and our light is seen through the thickest of fog.
    It is a blessing to be that light, but with it comes the tremendous responsibilty of making sure that the light never goes out. It is that responsibility to the world that makes it imperative that we citizens of the United States ALWAYS protect and defend the sovereignty of our nation, our rights under the Constitution, and to protect and pass on that which was given to us by our forefathers.

To indicate that it is worthless and unimportant to live up to our responsibility and to direct and guide the future of this country as desired by the majority of the legal citizens of United States, is like spitting in the face of freedom.

I assure you Sir, if everyone in America shared your opinion, the light in the lighthouse would go out.

God Bless America!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Duibqui Reverend

Zhaoshang Hao

Ni hui shou Yingwen Ma? Ni dong ma? Rang wo xiang yi xiang.
    Qing wen? Ni dong ma?

Do you understand this?

Hey Reverend--why do we need to "understand other cultures?" So we can sink to a Third World status? So we can do things the way THEY do them? Western Nations have the highest standards of living ever experienced in human history so we don't even hardly need any lectures from the likes of you. It all starts with having a shared language--you can't get ANYWHERE without that and I will be damned if I'm going to be forced to learn Spanish to live in my own nation. Just the fact that "Spanish" as spoken in Mexico and Central/South America morphs into all kinds of sub languages (like "Tex-Mex" here in the SW US states) shows the general chaos and lack of education evident in the Third World. If people cannot communicate with each other the nation must fall.

I am so tired of people from failed, illiterate nations telling me I have to change to accomodate them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast