Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Entering the Twilight Zone: Illegal immigrants are heros

Ignorant, libidiot, illegal alien hugger mindless Southern Utah University college student who may wise up when he grows up someday:

OP-ED: Illegal immigrants are heros
    John Jensen
    Issue date: 10/1/07 Section: Opinion

Growing up in this land of "equal opportunity," it is not uncommon to hear about the American dream.

But what is the true American dream, who has achieved it and more importantly who can actually achieve it?

James Turslow Adams coined the phrase "the American dream" in his 1931 novel, The Epic of America. Adams states in his book: "the American Dream is 'that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement.'"

The United States prides itself on the "equal opportunity" it offers to all who seek it. So why then does the government deny those who seek to achieve this dream so avidly?

That boggles my mind.

Immigrants risk their lives to come into this land of promise with the hopes of making a better life for themselves, seeking a new start. Parallel this to the Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock in the 1600s. England did not offer freedoms, or opportunities where a person could raise their social status, decide who they wanted to be their leader or worship how and when they wanted. Fed up with this oppression, many sought a new life, in a new land.

Gosh, doesn't this sound all too familiar? Wait, it gets better. When the Pilgrims came to the "new world" they brought diseases, a new government and religion which they decided to impose on the original inhabitants of this land; killing, raping and plundering those who did refuse to give up their ways, for the newcomers.

I would fully understand if people wanted the borders closed as a result of this happening, but that's not the case.

No, those supporters of closing the borders claim that immigrants will take away too many jobs from "legal" U.S. citizens. Immigrants take the least-desired jobs such as picking fruit, or working in kitchens, get exploited and cheated by their employers yet cannot speak up for fear of losing their job or even facing deportation.

In all honesty how many of you that are against immigration would gladly take a job picking fruits, vegetables, cleaning houses, or working in kitchens?

Even the most job-desperate teenager rarely will seek out that employment.

To me, these people who you may call "illegal" are heroes, and should be celebrated, not upbraided because they wanted to achieve the American dream.

People take this opportunity for granted (myself included). Next time you go to your local grocery store, consider the exploited laborer that picked your strawberries.

If you were truly against immigration then you would refuse to purchase the goods that had been picked by those you loathe. You would not go to a restaurant because there's the chance that you might be supporting the livelihood of those that you do not approve of.

In the words of Benjamin Disraeli, "a conservative government is an organized hypocrisy."
    http://media.www.suujournal.com/media/s ... 3029.shtml
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Parallel my foot
    some people will never understand the Big Differnces

So now we're going back to the 1600's? How about we focus on today and how we have a thing called "legal" immigration. This system was set up so we could control who and what comes into our country. So we DON'T catch disease's or welcome rapists, child molestors etc,etc.

I didn't need a college education to figure this out, yet this dude don't get it. scary.

Immigrants risk their lives to come into this land of promise with the hopes of making a better life for themselves, seeking a new start.
    But these are not 'immigrants'. The ones 'risking their lives' are primarily illegal aliens. If they were truly 'immigrants', they could arrive the 'normal' way via plane, bus, car, ship - providing the proper documentation as well.

To me, these people who you may call "illegal" are heroes, and should be celebrated,...
    Why not celebrate other transgressors of the law as well: drug dealers, burglars, organized criminals, or wait, even better MS-13 members... they are considered 'dangerous professions' as well. I'm quite certain, they also will make the claim, that, 'we are only trying to make a better life for ourselves too'.

No, those supporters of closing the borders claim that immigrants will take away too many jobs from "legal" U.S. citizens. Immigrants take the least-desired jobs such as picking fruit, or working in kitchens, get exploited and cheated by their employers yet cannot speak up for fear of losing their job or even facing deportation.
    Ah, I see. It's ok for this apparently middle-class, US citizen, probably enrolled in, or maybe teaching in a US university, to tell the rest of us which jobs certain people should - or should not - be doing. At the same time, he is relegating 'immigrants' into a certain type of work. What this author is saying, is: "I wouldn't do that work - it's below me". And, of course, because he isn't willing to do it, therefore, he can safely assume that none of his fellow US citizens won't either. Then... why are there still [many] American citizens in those jobs??? This nothing but liberal, academic elitism. I wonder if the author logged any significant time in a menial or manual job - I have.

My answer to all the above - let Mr. Orwell comment:

'For a creative writer possession of the "truth" is less important than emotional sincerity.'
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

'Twilight Zone' is right, villians are heroes in this scenario.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

All this article tells me is he better stay in college and further his education because he is still an idiot.

He needs to learn to think with some common sense and not just compassion, especally when you are talking about the death of a nation and not just a couple of illegal aliens.

It just amazes me when people compare today with the 1600's, HELLLOOOO how many thousands of people were here then compared to the 300 million of today

Did they lose over 3 million jobs to outsourceing or did they give out 120,000 h1b visa's and let more people enter on the other 8 visa's we have EVERY YEAR . Did 30 million flood accross the border in just a few years. How can anyone especially with any kind of an education campare what is happening today with early America GET A GRIP!!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

jobs from "legal" U.S. citizens
    He didn't need to put the word "legal" in front of citizens. Citizens are legal, unlike those who enter our country illegally or overstay their visas.