Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Failure by design on immigration

Failure by design on immigration
    rep-am.com
    Editorial
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:11 AM EDT

Illegal immigration has been one of America's most highly charged political issues for many years. Reform of immigration policy is needed badly. A new Obama administration policy unveiled last month by Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, however, is an example of reform in reverse.

Regardless of their intentions, people who came to the United States without going through the usual process broke the law. That's why they are called "illegal immigrants." Under the administration proposal, the government would go easy on most illegal immigrants. Some even would be rewarded.

The policy, made public by Ms. Napolitano in a letter to a group of lawmakers, calls for the case-by-case handling of the 300,000 deportation cases under consideration by immigration court. The government would target for deportation only illegal immigrants who have compiled criminal records in the United States or are considered threats to public safety. Most others would be allowed to apply for work permits.

"From a law enforcement and public safety perspective, DHS (Department of Homeland Security) enforcement resources must continue to be focused on our highest priorities," wrote Ms. Napolitano, who famously said that airline passengers subduing a man who managed to bring explosives onto a plane on Christmas Day 2009 proved the security system worked. "Doing otherwise hinders our public safety mission — clogging immigration court dockets and diverting DHS enforcement resources away from individuals who pose a threat to public safety."

There may be some validity to this, but the administration has missed a larger, more important point.

In the post-9/11 world, the government has to be concerned about the possibility of terrorists slipping into the United States undetected through the country's porous borders. Part of the defense against this is to take a zero-tolerance approach. The Obama administration's proposal, however, might as well be a welcome mat for those who would do Americans harm.

One also cannot help but wonder if the policy was crafted mainly to give the Democratic Party a positive image in the eyes of Hispanic Americans and future immigrants.

The United States is faced with a number of serious problems as it is. If enacted, the Obama administration's immigration blueprint would diminish U.S. prestige by signaling tolerance for wanton lawbreaking and declining interest in the fight against terrorism. The proposed policy should be scuttled at the first available opportunity.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2011/09/ ... 582356.txt
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Actually they are called "illegal aliens"
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

The United States is faced with a number of serious problems as it is
    In all seriousness we have some major problems in this nation and why does it seem these issues are talked abiout and NEVER HAS THERE BEEN ANYTHING DONE. TALK TALK TALK!

Just like social security. Wow! How long now have we heard the BS on them tackling that issue.

They even know that NAFTA is a failure and when did they address that issue?

AND DEBT! Obama could not get more money (well ,we know he got it in the new plan) But not enough so now they are suing all the larger banks over the mortgage bubble. HEY! They gave QE1 and QE2 to the banks to bail them out! SHORT SIGHTEDNESS!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou