FBI Director: Democratic Convention Not a Deadline in
Clinton Email Investigation

by Pete Williams
Apr 21 2016, 2:25 pm ET

FBI Director James Comey says the forthcoming Democratic National Convention does not represent a deadline for finishing the investigation of Hillary Clinton's emails.

Asked about the case today at a security conference in London, he said, "Somebody asked me if the Democratic National Convention is a hard stop or a key date for you? Are you doing this aimed at that? And I said, no.

"We aspire to do all our investigations in two ways -- well and promptly, especially investigations that are of great interest to the public. We want to do them promptly.

"I get that people care about this investigation, and so we're working very hard to ensure it's well and promptly. But as between the two, if we have to choose, we will do it well. But again we aspire to do it well and promptly."

Comey repeated what he has said before, that he is "personally close to this investigation, because I want to ensure that we have the resources, the people, the technology, and the space to do those things, and to do it in the way I hope we do all our work, which is competently, honestly, and independently. And I'm confident that it's being done that way."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016...gation-n560026