Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Feds indict former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert (R-IL) on bank-related charges

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    By STEPHANIE CONDON, JEFF PEGUES CBS NEWS June 5, 2015, 5:46 PM

Reinboldt died in 1995, at age 42, from AIDS, his sister said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-may-...-hastert-case/

If Reinboldt was 42 in 1995, then in 1970 when the picture was taken with Hastert, he would have been 17 or 18, depending on when his birthday was. I think molestation at that age is a bit of a stretch. The sister says they had sex, which is different than what Individual A and B are claiming, they're claiming "inappropriate touching". This needs to be investigated.

It's a terrible thing either way if it's true, but has nothing to do with the charges levied against him. How odd our federal system of justice has become. The FBI sits on sex charges but rushes in with phony bank reporting charges.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If he was 17-18 in 12th grade

he was 16-17 in 11th

15-16 in 10th

14-15 in 9th . . .

YORKVILLE, Ill. — As an enthusiastic young teacher and wrestling coach at the high school here, former House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert reliably had one student at his side, former classmates say. Stephen Reinboldt, a smart, slender, likable student who rose to become class president, was the wrestling team’s equipment manager. For four years, he arrived at practice early and stayed late, traveled with Mr. Hastert to overnight tournaments, even when only one wrestler was competing, and went for long rides in the coach’s sports car, sometimes driving it.
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 06-06-2015 at 12:09 AM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Woman Says Dennis Hastert Abused Her Brother in High School

By JULIE BOSMAN and DAVE PHILIPPSJUNE 5, 2015

YORKVILLE, Ill. — As an enthusiastic young teacher and wrestling coach at the high school here, former House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert reliably had one student at his side, former classmates say. Stephen Reinboldt, a smart, slender, likable student who rose to become class president, was the wrestling team’s equipment manager. For four years, he arrived at practice early and stayed late, traveled with Mr. Hastert to overnight tournaments, even when only one wrestler was competing, and went for long rides in the coach’s sports car, sometimes driving it.

On Friday, Mr. Reinboldt’s younger sister, Jolene Burdge, said her brother, who died in 1995, was also sexually abused by Mr. Hastert, but hid the fact for years because he thought no one would believe him.

RELATED COVERAGE

“Mr. Hastert had plenty of opportunities to be alone with Steve because he was there before the meets,” Ms. Burdge said on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “He was there after everything because he did the laundry, the uniforms.”

Photo

J. Dennis Hastert, then the House speaker, in his Capitol Hill office in 2007.Credit Doug Mills/The New York Times

The allegation comes a week after Mr. Hastert, who served for eight years as House speaker, was indicted on charges of making cash withdrawals, totaling $1.7 million, to evade detection by the authorities and lying to investigators.

Two people briefed on the F.B.I. investigation told The New York Times that Mr. Hastert was using the money to pay a former student hundreds of thousands of dollars to hide the fact that Mr. Hastert sexually abused him decades ago.

The former student is identified in the indictment only as “Individual A.” Ms. Burdge’s comments marked the first time that a possible victim of Mr. Hastert has been publicly identified. ABC reported that Ms. Burdge said she did not ask Mr. Hastert for money and did not know the identity of Individual A.

At Ms. Burdge’s home in Montana on Friday, a man who answered the door said she was not available. But the man, who did not identify himself, said her statements were accurately reported by ABC.

Mr. Hastert is scheduled to appear in court next week in Chicago. His lawyer did not return calls on Friday.

In the interview on ABC, Ms. Burdge called Mr. Hastert, who taught and coached at Yorkville high school from 1966 until 1981, a father figure to her brother. She said she learned of the years of abuse when her brother revealed to her that he was gay eight years after he left high school.

“I asked him, ‘When was your first same-sex experience?’ ” she said. “He looked at me and said, ‘It was with Dennis Hastert.’ I was stunned.”

She continued, “And he just turned around and kind of looked at me and said, ‘Who is ever going to believe me?’ ”

Ms. Burdge said she believed the abuse ended when her brother moved away after his high school graduation in 1971.

Mr. Reinboldt died of AIDS at age 42.

Photo

Stephen Reinboldt in 1971.She also said she confronted Mr. Hastert when he unexpectedly came to her brother’s funeral, telling him, “I want you to know that your secret didn’t die here with my brother.”

Ms. Burdge said she tried for years to get news organizations, including ABC News, and advocacy groups to pursue the story.

She began in 2006 after it was revealed that Mr. Hastert had covered up claims that Representative Mark Foley, a Florida Republican, had sent sexually explicit emails to congressional pages.

She said she had given up on exposing Mr. Hastert. Then, two weeks ago, just before Mr. Hastert was indicted, she was contacted by the F.B.I.

“That’s when I just kind of lost it and said, ‘Oh my God, I can’t believe — I never thought I was going to get this phone call,’ ” she said.

In interviews, former students say Mr. Hastert was popular, partly because his classes often consisted of little more than watching movies, and because his teams kept winning. He also seemed to have a new Porsche almost every year, each a different color, and would let certain boys drive it — not just around the parking lot, but on long rides.

“Some guys got to drive the Porsche and some didn’t,” said Jeff Nix, who was a student at the time. “We always wondered what you had to do to get to drive the Porche. Steve got to drive the Porsche.”

Yearbooks show that Mr. Reinboldt was a class officer every year, a member of the French and Letterman’s Clubs, and was student council president in his senior year.

“He was a smart kid. Kind of shy, but the best manager we ever had,” said Mr. Nix, who helped manage the wrestling team with Mr. Reinboldt. “He always had everything ready.”

Bob Dhuse, 63, who was a star wrestler during the period when Mr. Reinboldt was the manager, said he never saw any sort of abuse or hint of inappropriate behavior involving the coach.

Document: Indictment of John Dennis Hastert

In an interview before Mr. Reinboldt’s sister came forward, Mr. Dhuse recalled going to the state tournament in Bloomington, Ill., with Mr. Reinboldt and Mr. Hastert in 1970, when Mr. Dhuse was co-captain. Mr. Hastert drove the two students in his blue Porsche. He had his own hotel room, Mr. Dhuse said, while the two teenagers shared a room.

“He was a single guy at the time, and that’s what he drove,” said Mr. Dhuse, now a corn and soybean farmer in the Yorkville area, said of the coach’s flashy car.

Another member of the team around that time, Gary Matlock, said he went on a Boy Scout trip with Mr. Reinboldt led by Mr. Hastert to the Bahamas. He said Mr. Reinboldt wanted to be part of the wrestling team but did not quite have the athletic ability, “so he became a jack of all trades who assisted the coach.”

“I saw nothing except a shining example and mentor,” he said of Mr. Hastert.

Like many who went to Yorkville High School, Mr. Matlock remained in the small farming town. Over the decades, he said, there had been no rumors about Mr. Hastert.

“This town used to be so small,” he said. “Forget 24 hours — you knew all the gossip in 24 minutes.”

But since the news of Mr. Hastert’s indictment a week ago, he said, none of Mr. Matlock’s high school friends have called to mull over the allegations. “It’s just been a big hush,” he said.

“The community is in shock.”

But some residents who were still absorbing the news of Mr. Hastert’s indictment said they were even more disturbed by Friday’s revelations.

“I just wonder how many more of them are going to come out of the woodwork,” said John Toschak, an electrician, adding that many Yorkville residents seemed to still support Mr. Hastert.

“They love him here. You can’t find anybody who would say anything bad about Denny.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/06/us...of-ex-speaker-
    hastert.html

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    If Reinboldt was 42 in 1995, then in 1970 when the picture was taken with Hastert, he would have been 17 or 18, depending on when his birthday was. . .
    Stephen Reinboldt, a smart, slender, likable student who rose to become class president, was the wrestling team’s equipment manager.For four years, he arrived at practice early and stayed late, traveled with Mr. Hastert to overnight tournaments, even when only one wrestler was competing, and went for long rides in the coach’s sports car, sometimes driving it . . .
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Stephen Reinboldt, a smart, slender, likable student who rose to become class president, was the wrestling team’s equipment manager.For four years, he arrived at practice early and stayed late, traveled with Mr. Hastert to overnight tournaments, even when only one wrestler was competing, and went for long rides in the coach’s sports car, sometimes driving it . . .
    That's what team managers do. That's what the team managers did in my school. I think they also kept the statistics on the players in those days, at least the managers did at my school. It was a big and very important job. One of my best friends was the manager for our basketball team. He went everywhere the team went, was at all the practices, had to get there early and stay late. We also had some young single coaches with nice cars, and we all wanted to drive their cars. Some of us got to if we were good drivers and could drive a stick shift, not everyone knew how and even fewer knew how to drive them well. They couldn't risk an accident so they were selective about what students they would let drive their cars. In our town a lot of the boys had their own nice cars, they had started saving for them when they were around 12 from jobs bucking hay bales, hard work, long hours, but best summer pay in the area and by the time they were 16 or 17 they had enough saved up to buy a very nice big engine hot new car. But we girls and most of the boys who couldn't get hired on the hay work or couldn't do the work, couldn't earn enough to buy a car so those of us who liked to drive hot cars had to beg around to drive someone else's including the young coaches hot cars, and sometimes they let you once they knew you could drive and drive well without stripping the gears.

As for the long drives, that's what people did to pass the time in small farming communities, there really wasn't anything else to do, and it was fun then with almost no traffic or speeding enforcement to speak of.

I don't like this case, I don't like the "Bank Secrecy Act" which needs to be repealed, I don't like the indictment on "bank-related charges" related to that "Act", when there was no attempt to structure until after the banks asked him to do so, I don't like secret witnesses, secret FBI agents, and I don't like hearsay of deceased persons.

This case still stinks to high heaven, it's politically driven, and as wrong and meaningless as the cases against Martha Stewart, Ted Stevens and Leona Helmsley.

If Dennis Hastert did something wrong with the students or others 45 or 50 years ago that's still prosecutable, then fine, have at it, but this? This stinks to high heaven.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-06-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Dennis Hastert pleads not guilty on all counts

By Chris Frates, Bill Kirkos and Tom LoBianco, CNN | Video Source: CNN
    Updated 3:36 PM ET, Tue June 9, 2015

Washington (CNN)Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert has pleaded not guilty to all charges related to lying to the FBI about $3.5 million he agreed to pay to an undisclosed subject to "cover up past misconduct."

Hastert was arraigned in court in Chicago on Tuesday afternoon, amid reports he allegedly sexually abused former students.

The former House speaker has hired high-profile white collar crime lawyer Thomas Green to defend him in court. Green has defended clients involved in Watergate, Iran Contra and Whitewater.

Judge Thomas Durkin is allowing Hastert to be released on a pretrial release. Hastert had to sign and appearance bond which he forfeits if he fails to appear.

He was also barred from carrying firearms, had to surrender his passport and cooperate in giving a sample of DNA.

RELATED: Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert hires defense attorney

Dennis Hastert's political career 8 photos

Hastert faces charges of lying to federal investigators and hiding bank transactions as part of a plan to pay $3.5 million in hush money to one of his victims, identified only as "Individual A". Law enforcement sources confirmed a second alleged victim was interviewed by them and the sister of a third alleged victim told ABC that her brother had been molested by Hastert.

Hastert worked as a high school teacher and wrestling coach before starting his career in politics. By the time he retired, in 2007, Hastert was the third most powerful public official in the U.S. (behind the president and vice president). During his time atop the House, Hastert oversaw an internal investigation of then-U.S. Rep. Mark Foley, who had been accused of sexually harassing male pages.

Read the indictment

A few years after he left the House, according to the indictment against Hastert, he was approached by "Individual A" and agreed to pay $3.5 million to cover up "past misconduct". From 2010-2014, Hastert paid $1.7 million to the person, avoiding bank reporting requirements in the process.

Hastert returned to his Plano, Ill. home Monday night. ABC News reported that Hastert had been at his Wisconsin vacation home before returning to Illinois.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/09/politi...ring-in-court/

NO AMNESTY

Judge approves protective order in Dennis Hastert criminal case

CAPTIONNot guilty pleaTerrence A. James, Chicago Tribune
    Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert leaves Chicago's Dirksen U.S. Courthouse on June 9, 2015, after pleading not guilty to charges he evaded bank regulations and lied to the FBI.

By Jason Meisner Chicago Tribune contact the reporter

Judge's ruling means that details in Dennis Hastert prosecution could be kept from public before trial.

A federal judge has granted a protective order in the criminal case against former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert that will keep sensitive details — including the identity of the alleged victim at the center of the allegations — from being revealed before trial.

lRelated
    NEWS Tribune coverage: Dennis Hastert indicted SEE ALL RELATED

U.S. District Judge Thomas M. Durkin granted the prosecution motion in a one-sentence docket entry Monday, court records show. Hastert's attorneys had not objected to the move, prosecutors said last week in filing their request.

Feds seek order to protect sensitive details in Dennis Hastert charges

The motion is typically a routine request in criminal cases to prevent the defense from going public with evidence turned over by the prosecution during discovery, such as the identities of informants, unnamed co-conspirators or victims.

But the government's request has drawn interest in Hastert's case because of the sensational allegations in a two-count indictment that accuses the Republican powerhouse of agreeing to $3.5 million in hush-money payments to cover up wrongdoing from decades ago against an acquaintance during Hastert's time as a high school teacher and wrestling coach in Yorkville. According to the charges, Hastert lied about the reasons for his withdrawals of $952,000 in cash over the previous 2 1/2 years when the FBI questioned him in December.

The alleged victim is identified in the charges only as Individual A. While the indictment only hints at the wrongdoing, law enforcement sources have said Hastert was paying to cover up sexual abuse of a Yorkville High School student. The FBI also interviewed a second person who raised similar allegations against Hastert, sources said.

Dennis Hastert pleads not guilty amid claims of hush money, lying to FBI

In their filing Friday, prosecutors said "the discovery to be provided by the government in this case includes sensitive information, the unrestricted dissemination of which could adversely affect law enforcement interests and the privacy interests of third parties."

The protective order potentially could keep the identity of Individual A from being revealed even after the case is resolved.

Hastert, 73, has pleaded not guilty to the charges and is free on a recognizance bond. A status hearing is set for Thursday before Durkin, but Hastert's appearance has been waived. His arraignment last week caused a media frenzy in the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...616-story.html
    NO AMNESTY

Will he plead out so the victim can maintain privacy? Should the victim be charged with extortion? There are so many victims here, all those who voted for Dennis were shammed, yes I meant shammed. Even the party was shammed by him, and if it goes to trial, we need to hear the background facts. It is hard to be hard on aliens when our politicians and clergy are guilty unless we are hard as hell on all the perps of these crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    Will he plead out so the victim can maintain privacy? . . .
    I think that is the plan.
    Will he give him the rest of the money then?
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    Will he plead out so the victim can maintain privacy? Should the victim be charged with extortion? There are so many victims here, all those who voted for Dennis were shammed, yes I meant shammed. Even the party was shammed by him, and if it goes to trial, we need to hear the background facts. It is hard to be hard on aliens when our politicians and clergy are guilty unless we are hard as hell on all the perps of these crimes.
    He plead not guilty, the article says.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast