Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

It's good that this thread is all in jest because back in the 1860's some states tried to leave the union, if you'll recall, and it didn't work out too well.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

BTW, California was also a separate republic before joining the country as the 31st state. That is why our Bear Flag has a single star. In effect, California is also a "lone star state".

We have always heard that Texas could, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Also, I read a quote once, supposedly one of Lincoln's that said the states had the right to secede but their reason was not good enough - or something to that effect.

Is it possible, the states did have the right to secede??? So many things we weren't taught in history.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How about Hawaii, don't think we would have to worry about Mexico there.

My globe trotting sister says she saw MANY mexicans in Hawaii when she was there recently. Funny thing, though, she can't always tell a native Hawaiian from a mexican. lol Although, I admit I can't always tell a mexican from a pakistani. How I long for the days when the players were fewer and easier to recognize.

Yes actually they do. Thanks to the construction boom Trump caused, they have gone as far as importing California illegals into the state. I just spoke to a close friend a week ago that said they are really getting bad on the Kona side of the Big Island. They already had problems with porto ricans and asians in the mix.

Very worry some considering your talking small islands. The Big Island can be completely circled by vehicle in 6 hours. Which is why they are so strick on any plant, or animal brought over there. No snakes or reptiles allowed at all. It would be to easy to overpopulate the islands and destroy the eco system there.

Even disease is a huge worry domestic pets ie: dogs or cats are placed in a 3 month detention center immediately upon arrival, to ensure they are rabies free. Before release to the owners. There is no rabies on Hawaii.

Native Hawaiians are easy to tell. They are a large race ie Samoian's , Tongians etc. It is a sight to behold to see an angery Samoain mother charging to school with a complaint. The majority stand over 6 ft tall and wieght over 250 pounds. They are a giant race.

Jezzabell, omg no! I guess nothing is scared in the United States any more. Here I got excited thinking I could be a boat or plane person to Hawaii. How about Alaska...isn't it to cold there to build a adobe of cardboard?

I lived on the Big Island for a few years. One reason Mexicans may not find it as desirerable is the isolation of it. Making it hard for them to jump the boarder to visit their families. However the climate, freedom to live how you choose, and over all accepting atmosphere on the islands would make it an illegal paridise. On the big island many live in isolation up in the volcano areas. Many vets and anti social types. Many live with nothing but barrels of water, and generaters for electric. There is alot of poverty on the island because it is so ignored by business and America as a whole.

Island living is unique. You must be able to accept all your neighbors. Family is #1 priority there. And friends become an extension of your family. The loyalty and closeness are due to the isolation of the islands and the small amount of land that exists there. Anything could happen and if it does you have to all know how to support one another and work together. Barter and trade practices are still very common on the island for everything, due to the poverty. It would be very common to get the guy down the road to work on and fix your broken down car in trade for you tending his property and clearing jungle or hauling in top soil etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    We have always heard that Texas could, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Also, I read a quote once, supposedly one of Lincoln's that said the states had the right to secede but their reason was not good enough - or something to that effect.

Is it possible, the states did have the right to secede??? So many things we weren't taught in history.
    "My politics are short and sweet, like the old woman's dance. I am in favor of a national bank ... in favor of the internal improvements system and a high protective tariff." ~ Lincoln, Campaign Speech, 1832.
    secession was actually taught at West Point until 1861 -- it was Constitutional.

Lincoln didn't want the south to secede from the union because they provided approximately 75% of the revenue. Lincoln was asked, "Why not let the South go in peace?" he replied, "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?"

"We are to have civil war, if at all, because Abraham Lincoln loves a [the Republican] party better than he loves his country.... [He] clings to his party creed, and allows the nation to drift into the whirlpool of destruction." ~ The Providence Daily Post, April 13 1861
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Ah, but MAMIE, Washington and Most of the founding fathers knew that IF that were to happen we would cease to exist in the long run. That only unity would hold the country together.

Didn't they put the secession in because one or two states wouldn't ratify without it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast