Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

GA- Could Illegal Immigration Laws Hurt Our Economy?

A local man is upset businesses sent a letter to state lawmakers claiming that the proposed E-Verify legislation against illegal immigration would hurt the state's economy.

By Julia Harris | Email the author | 12:00pm
    Dear Ms. Harris and Northeast Cobb,

There have been a couple of letters in this column about illegal immigration and its affect on our community jobs and economy.

There is good news. Republican Matt Ramsey of Peachtree City is sponsoring HB 87 that would require businesses with more than four employees to use a federal database (called E-Verify) to check the immigration status of new hires.

Here's the bad news: I learned Monday that a group of over 200 businessmen, most in Georgia's agriculture industries, sent a letter to state lawmakers saying that the proposed E-Verify legislation against illegal immigration would hurt our economy.

Among the people who signed the letter: Zippy Duvall, president of the Georgia Farm Bureau; Bryan Tolar, president of the Georgia Agribusiness Council; and Mary Kay Woodworth, executive director of the Georgia Urban Ag Council.

The letter also says the legislation could have a negative impact on the convention business, tourism and international business opportunities for the state. And it will cost them more money to do business.

The letter cited an estimate that employers nationwide spent $95 million last year complying with the E-Verify system.

Ramsey insists that E-Verify is a free federal program.

Illegal immigrants are burdening taxpayer-funded resources in our communities, including public schools and jails.

Do we taxpayers allow big business to continue employing illegal immigrants - taking jobs from U.S. citizens and overloading our schools and jails - or do we write our legislators and say 'no more'?

Our voices need to be heard. When do we say enough? Our own people can't get jobs because many occupations dealing with the public require that you are bilingual; English and Spanish. We are burdened with the cost for the illegal immigrants' children in our schools, their medical care, and care for them in our jails.

I'd like to know how my neighbors feel about this legislation, and I'd like to know where we can write to state lawmakers to say enough is enough.

- Mark O'Brien

If you'd like to reply to Mark, please use the Comment Box below.
    http://northeastcobb.patch.com/articles ... ur-economy

Re: GA- Could Illegal Immigration Laws Hurt Our Economy?

Among the people who signed the letter: Zippy Duvall, president of the Georgia Farm Bureau; Bryan Tolar, president of the Georgia Agribusiness Council; and Mary Kay Woodworth, executive director of the Georgia Urban Ag Council.
    "Sorry!" Ziggy! with all the terrorists coming across the mexican border it's the only way to be sure! What a stupid fn name!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here's the bad news: I learned Monday that a group of over 200 businessmen, most in Georgia's agriculture industries, sent a letter to state lawmakers saying that the proposed E-Verify legislation against illegal immigration would hurt our economy.
    I will express this moment exactly what is not only hurting, but are killing the economy, is people hiring and illegally working undocumented aliens for cheaper wages, and taxes are not being paid to the Federal Government to keep this Country properly operating. Corruptions, fraud crimes and increasing criminal activities performed by undocumented aliens. Illegal aliens and the people that support them will destroy the entire Country; much less hurt the economy if laws are not enforced the way they should be against illegal immigration.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Banned
    SORRY ZIPPO dont you realize how they hurting us in other ways.Labor is out there for the farmers who are willing to pay far wages.But you cant blame the farmer tring to get by with paying less because of market they barely get by.Illegals started out as farm labor now look what it has got us we cant get rid of them.Until we quit hireing them they will stay.My main thing i say to everyone i talk to about illegals is CANT RUN EM OUT,STARVE THEM OUT, no job no money no eat no stay.

The economy sucks so many are unable to find work as well. A relative of mine is a police call taker and she told me that the city she works in get 2 to 3 calls a week from illegals wanting to be deported. The reason they give is lack of jobs. They want the American taxpayers to pay for their trip back home! The department tells them to go back the same way they came here because when ICE gets called they have to cut them loose and notify the embassy or consulate of the country they are from. This is for real. It is ICE's policy.
    That is only one city within Miami Dade County and it is a fairly affluent one at that. If they get calls like that then I am sure other cities and counties do as well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    The economy sucks so many are unable to find work as well. A relative of mine is a police call taker and she told me that the city she works in get 2 to 3 calls a week from illegals wanting to be deported. The reason they give is lack of jobs. They want the American taxpayers to pay for their trip back home! The department tells them to go back the same way they came here because when ICE gets called they have to cut them loose and notify the embassy or consulate of the country they are from. This is for real. It is ICE's policy.
    That is only one city within Miami Dade County and it is a fairly affluent one at that. If they get calls like that then I am sure other cities and counties do as well.
    Hmm! First time I heard they are calling to be deported. Later time, maybe many more will self deport.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Banned
    One needs to take the existing economy into consideration. Removal of illegals is NOT going to hurt states. It will cost yes but in response it will pay dividends. Saving to taxpayers and opening up jobs that in past legal workers wouldhave passed over but now will be willing to do.

Unless the borders are secured, all those who deport will just come back when the economy is better.

And "Zippy" (as if you didn't know) there are unlimited H-2A visas available for legal immigrant agricultural workers so how is not allowing illegals to pick crops going to hurt that industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldglory
    And "Zippy" (as if you didn't know) there are unlimited H-2A visas available for legal immigrant agricultural workers so how is not allowing illegals to pick crops going to hurt that industry?
    Becasue the farmers cannot exploit those with visas. In Florida we have a state statute that states migrant workers have to be here legally. Under that statute it also states that the farmer has to post the labor laws in the language of the migrants. There have been law enforcement agencies who wanted to go after the farmers who hired illegals but Bill McCollum who oversaw state legal matters would not allow it. That law still exists but is unenforced. Rick Scott said he was going to make it harder for illegals and pass an Arizona type of law. He said this when he was running for office and a few weeks after arrivig in Tallahassee. Now he is watering down the e verfiy and giving in to big business.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast