Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GarcÃ*a in Running to Become First Latino FBI Director

GarcÃ*a in Running to Become First Latino FBI Director

Published March 21, 2011

Michael J. GarcÃ*a, a former head of the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement in the Department of Homeland Security with a strong background fighting terrorism, is in the running to become the first Hispanic Director of the FBI.

Earlier in his career, GarcÃ*a successfully prosecuted the mastermind in the first World Trade Center bombing case in the mid-1990s. GarcÃ*a, whose wife is an FBI agent, is on a list that includes six other possible candidates.

President Barack Obama will need to select a replacement for FBI Director Robert Mueller, whose 10-year, nonrenewable term expires Sept. 4. According to an Obama administration official, the selection process for Mueller's replacement started at the beginning of this year.

Obama's primary goal is to find a nominee who is viewed as a heavy hitter on the terrorism issues the FBI faces, one insider said.

Two other officials who also worked for President George W. Bush, including one who threatened to resign to block legally questionable anti-terror surveillance, are front-runners for the post, according to people familiar with the search.

James Comey and Kenneth Wainstein served in sensitive national security-related posts at the Justice Department in the Bush administration. Their service as political appointees under a Republican president is a key factor in explaining the rise of Comey and Wainstein in the search.

Comey became a hero to Democratic opponents of Bush's warrantless wiretapping when Comey refused for a time to reauthorize it. Bush revised the surveillance program when confronted with the threat of resignation by Comey and Mueller.

Wainstein was working for Mueller at the FBI when bureau agents at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, objected to abusive interrogation techniques employed by the military and when Mueller decided FBI agents could not participate in interviews involving these techniques.

The Obama administration faces an expanded Republican minority in the Senate with the votes to seriously complicate the confirmation prospects of any nominee who draws their united opposition.

Names of other candidates have also surfaced.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., has backed New York Police Department Commissioner Ray Kelly, a 69-year-old former top Treasury law enforcement official who some believe would rather run for mayor of New York.

The FBI Agents Association has recommended Michael Mason, a 23-year bureau veteran who ran the Washington field office and became executive assistant director in charge of the bureau's criminal investigative division. Mason would be the FBI's first black director.

Insiders also say the president will want to consider female candidates. Jamie Gorelick, a former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration, has been mentioned as one.

Based on reporting by the Associated Press.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2 ... z1HLVUGZGR
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

if is the best candidate then he should get the job. Who cares if he's heritage is Latino? Only those who seek to divide us care.

Banned
    I care if he is just getting the job because he is latino. The article says obama is looking at female candidates too. Sounds like they dont want no white men to be considered.

Banned
    Latino,Latino, Latino!!!

So sick of hearing it! Why the hell do they think latino's are so special?

So sick of the B.S.

the only thing i care about is his postion on illegal immgration , if he's in favor of comprhesive immgration reform i am not in favor of him , if he's against it and strong on enforcment , then i hope he gets the postion ..

He is

He is NOT Impartial and has a special interest like Sotomayor. That right there disqualifies him all together in my opinion...

I'm not going to judge a man based solely on his last name. Think I'll wait until we find out more about him.

Re: He is

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRevere9
    He is NOT Impartial and has a special interest like Sotomayor. That right there disqualifies him all together in my opinion...
    proof ?

I think I found him. Some archived stuff anyway. PDF files from 04/05 of speeches he gave or someone with the same name working for ice.

Go to this link and scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

This is Google's cache of http://www.ice.gov/news/library/speeches/. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Mar 18, 2011 23:29:24 GMT.

edit: I used the google cache search because it has his name highlighted, but check the last name because there is at least one other Michael J with a different last name.

Quote Originally Posted by OneNationUnderGod
    Latino,Latino, Latino!!!

So sick of hearing it! Why the hell do they think latino's are so special?

So sick of the B.S.

I'm sick of it too!!!!!!!!

Why is it always about latinos? Because there are so many of them. Because they have been catered to ever since they started crossing over here illegally. Because some States are for and some are against illegals. Until all states come together and our laws are enforced, we lose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast