Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Geraldo Rivera: Latino Solidarity on Immigration? Not in Bushwick

Written By Geraldo Rivera
    Published January 25, 2012
    Fox News Latino

José from Brooklyn stunned me with his call to the radio show. “Puerto Ricans are citizens, what do we care about immigration,” he asked disdainfully?

I had been on one of my broadcast rants about the need to have compassionate, comprehensive immigration reform when I took his call. Expecting a Kumbaya moment from a supportive brother calling the show from the hood, instead his remarks stopped me short. I stuttered something about all Latinos being brothers.

But he cut me off saying, “not out here in Bushwick,” referring to the heavily Puerto Rican and Dominican Brooklyn neighborhood, which has experienced an influx of Mexican and South American immigrants in recent years, many of them undocumented.

It is where the rubber hits the road on the issue of whether liberalized immigration policies hurt poor citizens. Located east of Broadway, the main drag which is perpetually shadowed by the elevated subway, it is working class and relatively stable. Six-story tenements and smaller brownstone buildings are fairly well kept and crime is way down in the 83rd Precinct from the bad old days following the 1977 blackout and subsequent looting. Then half the storefronts were vacant, and drug use was rampant. Now, although 5% of the private homes are in foreclosure and 75% of the kids live below the poverty level, it is a functioning neighborhood proud of actors Rosie Perez, Chris Rock and other prominent alumni.

José hung up before I got the chance to ask him why he felt the way he did; whether immigrants had ever really had a negative impact on his life. Instead, I went on talking to the invisible radio audience about how immigrant newcomers had breathed new entrepreneurial life into many moribund storefronts, opening bodegas, tire stores, taco restaurants and butcher shops in neighborhoods like Bushwick and Manhattan’s El Barrio and Washington Heights.

But José’s remarks hung like a wet blanket over my exuberance. Whatever the actual impact of immigration on urban angst he was telling me that he had enough to worry about without expanding his anxieties to include concern for the newcomers from down south.

Thinking about the incident, I’m wondering now whether some citizen Latinos aren’t succumbing to the incessantly negative media portrayal of “illegal aliens?” The issue is most urgent in Florida where the Republican knife fight for the presidential nomination is fully engaged. Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney are locked in a bitter bilingual battle for the hearts and minds of Florida’s vast Hispanic vote, 22.5% of the population. Both are using saturation Spanish-language ads, in Romney’s case voiced by his son.

Romney’s son says his dad believes in the American Dream.

Gingrich’s Spanish ad slashes Romney as an anti-immigrant Liberal who made the mistake during the 2008 campaign of talking about ‘Patria o Muerte, Venceremos!’ (Fatherland or Death, We Shall Overcome), which typical of dorky Romney was actually a phrase popularized by Fidel Castro, the anti-Christ for many older generation Cuban-American exiles in South Florida.

Back in 2008, Romney had his same selective take ‘em prisoner’s policy when it came to illegal immigrants. He campaigned harshly against them in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, but not in Florida. Similarly, his 2012 Florida ads make no reference to those draconian round them up and send them back proposals.

Of a GOP field distinguished by its lack of sympathy for the undocumented, only the former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich has expressed a scintilla of compassion.

So now it comes down to the José from Bushwick moment: will the settled, citizen, conservative Cuban-Americans who dominate Florida Republican politics remember those less fortunate immigrant Latinos being targeted by former governor Romney, and vote for Gingrich? Or will they agree with Romney’s more restricted version of the American Dream?

Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 01-26-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: all Latinos being brothers
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Geraldo is a racist and always has been.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Agree that Geraldo is racist. Why else would he put his Latino "brothers" ahead of the welfare of our nation.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Can you imagine what the outcry would be if I "stuttered something about all Anglos being brothers." during a radio interview? You would never hear the end of it, but all these supposed racism watchdogs are silent when Geraldo Rivera spews his projection racism.

Im going to get to debate Geraldo one day. You will see. It's going to happen and I can't wait to get him where I can speak to him for 60 seconds on the air one day.

W

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    Can you imagine what the outcry would be if I "stuttered something about all Anglos being brothers." during a radio interview? You would never hear the end of it, but all these supposed racism watchdogs are silent when Geraldo Rivera spews his projection racism.

Im going to get to debate Geraldo one day. You will see. It's going to happen and I can't wait to get him where I can speak to him for 60 seconds on the air one day.

W
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to see it, W.

José hung up before I got the chance to ask him why he felt the way he did; whether immigrants had ever really had a negative impact on his life.
    I suspect Jose was cut off. jmo
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Geraldo is so out of touch. He seems to have this vision of all Latinos being one and the same. He likes to follow the military overseas and into battle, I would suggest that he get out of his Ivory Tower and get into the trenches of the everyday American Communities. He needs to learn this is not a anglo-white vs Latino issue. This is a American vs illegal immigrant issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay View Post
    Agree that Geraldo is racist. Why else would he put his Latino "brothers" ahead of the welfare of our nation.
    I don't get why Geraldo from Puerto Rican heritage would advocate for mostly Mexican illegals in this country. So anyone who speaks Spanish is a "brother" regardless of what country they hail from? Does that tribal mentality extend that far and so deep that it trumps the laws and best interests of this nation?

Note how Geraldo constantly refers to illegal aliens as "newcomers" or "immigrants"? He is a total racist a**.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post

W
    That is what makes them such hypocrites. If ango-whites were to announce their brotherhood in defiance of our immigration laws and expect special treatment like they are, we would never hear the end of it.

I would love to see you go toe to toe with Geraldo. I can just hear his stuttering, stammering and dodging of the questions now.

he is another guy I don't like he is a two face also he is for the illegal immigrants don't kid your self
    No amnesty or dream act

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast