Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Give it a rest State Department?

Their is an arrticle at YAHOO.COM where this 85 year old ex concentration camp guard has been ordered deported back to his native Ukraine. This guy was deported to Israel some years ago cause they thought he was some Nazi officer or something but was acquited and returned to Ohio where he has lived for 30 years.....my point? Forget the guy! Leave him alone! Why not find every German soldier from WW2 and excute them all lol?

I am not trying to defend any NAZI but if the guy was no officer involved of any great crime then forget him and give it a rest he is 85 and the war ended 60 years ago. Yes, if you can still find the Eichman's ok but a simple guard?

It is time for the State Department to close it's little department that still hunts NAZI's 60 years after the war is over. ILLEGALS are over the place and they spend our tax dollars putting this guy in front of a INS deportation board? 85 years old?

Am I wrong here...? A little common sensse might apply inn this case....?

I must say, I think we have higher priorities these days. So, I AGREE!!

And I have a question:

The President is claiming that all these people that were spied upon had known links to Al-Qaeda.

If we knew they were linked to Al-Qaeda, why didn't we pick them up for questioning and place them under arrest instead of listening to their conversations through some vague unreliable "deep data mining" operation?

Also, how did we know they were linked to Al-Qaeda? If they were here on visas, wouldn't that be sufficient reason to pull their visa and deport them?

Personally, the more I learn about this, the more I realize that we have no security at all.

The key to our security is keeping people out of the country. As soon as we know or have reasonable cause to believe they are "linked to Al-Qaeda" or any other organization the Government believes has harmful intentions towards Americans, then AlienPoofBeGone--not to GITMO for torture, but O U T.

When they are not here, they can not hurt US.

Very simple.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

There is a local politician in Ohio out to make hay out of the notoriety of a former Nazi even if the Israeli's with much fact checkers said that he was so
    insignificant they let him go.

The politician is betting on a voting population in Ohio which is ignorant and easily led by association, tabloid justice.

The Israeli courts system had to provide proof of his being a meaningful player based on knowledge.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Talk about mixed up priorities!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That is just total BS. Why aren't they deporting all of the ILLEGALS who are RIGHT UNDER THEIR NOSES????? The ones who are doing damage right now TODAY???

Judy--I need to research "deep mining". I haven't heard that term yet. I keep hearing "data mining". I'm off to research again!!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

OKAY. I Googled "deep mining" and came up with NOTHING. I Googled "Data mining" and came up with TONS. This was the Wikipedia definition:

Tax-deductibility of donations - Daily report
    Data mining
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Data mining, also known as knowledge-discovery in databases (KDD), is the practice of automatically searching large stores of data for patterns. To do this, data mining uses computational techniques from statistics and pattern recognition.

Contents [hide]
    1 Definition
    2 Data dredging
    3 Privacy concerns
    4 Combinatorial game data mining
    5 Notable Uses of Data Mining
    6 See also
    7 References
    8 External links
    9 Software

[edit]
    Definition
    Data mining has been defined as "The nontrivial extraction of implicit, previously unknown, and potentially useful information from data" 1 and "The science of extracting useful information from large data sets or databases" 2. Although it is usually used in relation to analysis of data, data mining, like artificial intelligence, is an umbrella term and is used with varied meaning in a wide range of contexts. It is usually associated with a business or other organization's need to identify trends.

A simple example of data mining is its use in a retail sales department. If a store tracks the purchases of a customer and notices that a customer buys a lot of silk shirts, the data mining system will make a correlation between that customer and silk shirts. The sales department will look at that information and may begin direct mail marketing of silk shirts to that customer, or it may alternatively attempt to get the customer to buy a wider range of products. In this case, the data mining system used by the retail store discovered new information about the customer that was previously unknown to the company. Another widely used (though hypothetical) example is that of a very large North American chain of supermarkets. Through intensive analysis of the transactions and the goods bought over a period of time, analysts found that beers and diapers were often bought together. Though explaining this interrelation might be difficult, taking advantage of it, on the other hand, should not be hard (e.g. placing the high-profit diapers next to the high-profit beers). This technique is often referred to as "Market Basket Analysis".

In statistical analyses in which there is no underlying theoretical model, data mining is often approximated via stepwise regression methods wherein the space of 2k possible relationships between a single outcome variable and k potential explanatory variables is smartly searched. With the advent of grid computing, it became possible (when k is less than approximately 40) to examine all 2k models. This procedure is called all subsets or exhaustive regression. Some of the first applications of exhaustive regression involved the study of clinical data.6

[edit]
    Data dredging
    Used in the technical context of data warehousing and analysis, the term "data mining" is neutral. However, it sometimes has a more pejorative usage that implies imposing patterns (and particularly causal relationships) on data where none exist. This imposition of irrelevant, misleading or trivial attribute correlation is more properly criticized as "data dredging" in the statistical literature. Another term for this misuse of statistics is data fishing.

Used in this latter sense, data dredging implies scanning the data for any relationships, and then when one is found coming up with an interesting explanation. (This is also referred to as "overfitting the model".) The problem is that large data sets invariably happen to have some exciting relationships peculiar to that data. Therefore any conclusions reached are likely to be highly suspect. In spite of this, some exploratory data work is always required in any applied statistical analysis to get a feel for the data, so sometimes the line between good statistical practice and data dredging is less than clear. The common approach, in data mining, to overcoming the problem of overfitting is to separate the data into two or three separate data sets (called the training set, validation set, and testing set). The model is built using the training and validation set, and is then tested using the testing set; the procedure can be repeated many times by resampling the data sets, in order to be more certain that a real pattern has been found and that the model is not merely capitalizing on random chance (i.e. overfitting).

A more significant danger is finding correlations that do not really exist. Investment analysts appear to be particularly vulnerable to this. "There have always been a considerable number of pathetic people who busy themselves examining the last thousand numbers which have appeared on a roulette wheel, in search of some repeating pattern. Sadly enough, they have usually found it." 3. However, when properly done, determining correlations in investment analysis has proven to be very profitable for statistical arbitrage operations (such as pairs trading strategies), and furthermore correlation analysis has shown to be very useful in risk management. Indeed, finding correlations in the financial markets, when done properly, is not the same as finding false patterns in roulette wheels.

Most data mining efforts are focused on developing a finely-grained, highly detailed model of some large data set. Other researchers have described an alternate method that involves finding the minimal differences between elements in a data set, with the goal of developing simpler models that represent relevant data. 4

[edit]
    Privacy concerns
    There are also privacy concerns associated with data mining. For example, if an employer has access to medical records, they may screen out people who have diabetes or have had a heart attack. Screening out such employees will cut costs for insurance, but it creates ethical and legal problems.

Data mining government or commercial data sets for national security or law enforcement purposes has also raised privacy concerns. 5

There are many legitimate uses of data mining. For example, a database of prescription drugs taken by a group of people could be used to find combinations of drugs with adverse reactions. Since the combination may occur in only 1 out of 1000 people, a single case may not be apparent. A project involving pharmacies could reduce the number of drug reactions and potentially save lives. Unfortunately, there is also a huge potential for abuse of such a database.

Essentially, data mining gives information that would not be available otherwise. It must be properly interpreted to be useful. When the data collected involves individual people, there are many questions concerning privacy, legality, and ethics.

[edit]
    Combinatorial game data mining
    Data mining from combinatorial game oracles:
    Since the early 1990's, with the availability of oracles for certain combinatorial games, also called tablebases (e.g. for 3x3-chess) with any beginning configuration, small-board dots-and-boxes, small-board-hex, and certain endgames in chess, dots-and-boxes, and hex; a new area for data mining has been opened up. This is the extraction of human-usable strategies from these oracles. This is pattern-recognition at too high an abstraction for known Statistical Pattern Recognition algorithms or any other algorithmic approaches to be applied: at least, no one knows how to do it yet (as of January 2005). The method used is the full force of Scientific Method: extensive experimentation with the tablebases combined with intensive study of tablebase-answers to well designed problems, combined with knowledge of prior art i.e. pre-tablebase knowledge, leading to flashes of insight. Berlekamp in dots-and-boxes etc. and John Nunn in chess endgames are notable examples of people doing this work, though they were not and are not involved in tablebase generation.

[edit]
    Notable Uses of Data Mining
    Data mining has been cited as the method by which the U.S. Army unit Able Danger supposedly had identified the 9/11 attack leader, Mohamed Atta, and three other 9/11 hijackers as possible members of an al Qaeda cell operating in the U.S. more than a year before the attack.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Bootsie, it's deep data mining. That is what Able Danger used. I must have left out a word. I go back and check it. Sorry about the confusion.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Got it! Maybe that's why it came up blank because all I entered was "Deep Mining". Found a LOT Of COAL MINE SITES!!!