Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP bill aims to retool immigrant birthright citizenship

"GOP bill aims to retool immigrant birthright citizenship"
    Babies of illegals would not receive citizenship
    Stephen Wall, Staff Writer
    Posted: 02/14/2010 09:11:01 AM PST

Republican lawmakers in Congress are sponsoring a bill that seeks to abolish birthright citizenship for children born in the United States to illegal immigrant parents.
    Federal law automatically grants citizenship to any person born on American soil, regardless of the immigration status of the child's parents.

Supporters of the bill say that many people come to this country for the express purpose of having children who are American citizens, making the family eligible for welfare and other government benefits.

"You have many people coming to this country illegally," said Rep. Gary Miller, R-Brea, a co-sponsor of the legislation. "They come to this country and have babies. The children are citizens. The children are eligible to go to school. They receive food stamps and social programs. The American taxpayers are paying for it."

The bill does not seek to change the Constitution, which grants birthright citizenship under the 14th Amendment ratified in 1868.

Instead, it would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to clarify the interpretation of the 14th Amendment.

The measure would limit birthright citizenship to children born to at least one parent who is either a citizen, lawful permanent resident or actively serving in the U.S. military. The legislation would only apply prospectively and would not affect the citizenship status of people born before the bill's enactment.

If the bill passes, people on both sides of the issue say it is likely to be challenged on constitutional grounds.
    "This bill is unconstitutional," said Rep. Joe Baca, D-San Bernardino. "It would change one of the most basic principles that our nation was founded on: If you were born in the United States, you're an American."

Baca accused the bill's sponsors of playing election-year politics.

"We should ban these types of divisive proposals," Baca said. "All this bill is meant to do is play on people's fears, incite anger and hate surrounding anti-immigration policies. This bill doesn't do anything to fix our broken immigration system."

Rep. Grace Napolitano, D-Santa Fe Springs, declined to comment because she wasn't "fully informed" on the issue, spokesman Nathan Landers said in an e-mail. Napolitano's district includes Pomona.

Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon, R-Santa Clarita, said that granting birthright citizenship worsens the illegal immigration problem.

"There's an incentive for people to come here and quickly have a baby," said McKeon, a co-sponsor of the bill whose district includes Victorville and Barstow. "Since the baby is a citizen, it's harder to send the family back to where they came from if they came illegally. Now you have a citizen and it would split up the family."

Miller said he welcomes the U.S. Supreme Court intervening to settle the debate.

The bill's proponents say the intent of the 14th Amendment was to grant citizenship to emancipated slaves after the Civil War.

The amendment states, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Miller said the words, "subject to the jurisdiction thereof," should not apply to children born in the United States to illegal immigrant parents.

"You can't tell me a person who is a citizen of any other country is subject to our jurisdiction. They're not," said Miller, whose district includes Chino and Chino Hills. "If their parents are from another country, they are a citizen of that country. They are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States."

Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-Redlands, has not taken a position on the bill. Jim Specht, his spokesman, said in an e-mail that Lewis believes it is the job of the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution.

Lewis "understands the problems created by children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrants," Specht said, "but hearings in previous Congresses have shown that bills like the `birthright' bill would have a difficult time passing a constitutional challenge."

Kathleen Lane Schneider, a Redlands Tea Party organizer who plans to run for Lewis' congressional seat in the June Republican primary, criticized Lewis for not taking a stand.

"I think this is a typical thing that Congressman Lewis has done over the years," Schneider said. "He's a follower and not a leader. He will not take a position until he finds out what everybody else thinks."

Schneider said she is in the early stages of her campaign and wasn't prepared to state an opinion on the issue.

Rep. David Dreier, R-San Dimas, supports the Judiciary Committee deciding whether a simple bill or constitutional amendment is needed to change the law, said Jo Maney, his spokeswoman.

"Illegal immigration is absolutely a concern," Maney said. "It's something he's very much opposed to and seeks to end. Getting to the heart of the problem is reducing the incentive to come in the first place."

Adrian Pantoja, associate professor of political studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, said the legislation is "largely symbolic" and unlikely to pass.

"There's a long tradition in America," Pantoja said. "We really don't hold the children responsible for the actions of the parents. It wasn't the child's fault that the parents came here."

McKeon concedes that the bill's sponsors face an uphill battle.

"Right now, it's an impossible thing because Democrats don't support it, and they're controlling everything. We have to win the majority back," McKeon said. "It will be hard to make this happen, but I'm willing to put my name on the line and fight for it."

Read more: http://www.sbsun.com/ci_14400978?source=most_viewed#ixzz0fcfaRqyb
    ------------------------

This is about the only piece of common sense that would benefit the citizens I have heard. Too bad they can't make it retro-active 15 yrs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

An Absolute Must

This is an Absolute Must if ever there was one. It would also astonish me if our stinking, backstabbing Government passed this. But then again, I am the eternal optimist...lol

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    This is about the only piece of common sense that would benefit the citizens I have heard. Too bad they can't make it retro-active 15 yrs.

Man! Retro-active would be unreal huh?
    Now to stop chain-migration of the relatives.
    When the money goes, people pay more attention!
    BUT, I think Our Dear Leader will do an Executive Order on the Illegals.........

"This bill is unconstitutional," said Rep. Joe Baca, D-San Bernardino. "It would change one of the most basic principles that our nation was founded on: If you were born in the United States, you're an American."
    I read that the Constitution says NOTHING about illegals becoming anchor-babies, it was for the slaves kids to become legal!

Anyone hear different?
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Northern California (moved back to fight for our land and freedom)
    I live in an Hispanic community. Not from my choosing. From their moving in and taking over. There are anchor babies ALL OVER THE PLACE. They line them up. One starts growing up, out pops another one.

What idiots we are for allowing this to go on under the guise of constitutional freedoms. And, believe me, anyone who thinks they don't call us stupid gringos really is stupid.

I say we just change the 14th Amendment and get on with it. Now that is constitutional freedom at work. We need to take this country back.

Yea but its just window dressing unless they can get back congress, if they can and are serious, then this would be worth a friggin vote.

The ECONOMY is NOT COMMING back soon, so there really is not much choice, when illegals become a topic again.

Duplicate. Please place further comments to:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-188378-baca.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn